E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > High Oil Consumption after valve cover overhaul and more

03-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Question High Oil Consumption after valve cover overhaul and more

2008 328xi

I'm going to check all the hoses, spark plugs, etc. once the weather gets better. Could it be a faulty valve cover with bad oil separator built in? Do you guys have any experience with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is the story, and I'm including everything that was done recently, in case you catch something I might have done or missed.
  • Around 7200 miles I started seeing oil leak around valve cover, which I DIY-ed. Had to replace valve cover, as original broke during removal. It was pretty brittle.
  • Also replaced the oil filter housing gasket. Saw a little leaking around it as well.
  • I decided to install AFe Stage 2 Sealed Intake Dry (non-oiled), got a deal for $250.
  • Then a month later my car suddenly didn't want to reverse. Turns out Gear selector valve broke, which was another DIY.
  • There has been no errors from the car since.
  • The car has been running fine until I started to notice higher oil consumption than normal.
  • I see oil reduction at long highway driving only.
  • Local or short highway driving (~30 minutes) doesn't consume oil.
  • Philly to NY round trip consumed about 1/4 of quart.
  • Philly to DC round trip consumed about 1/2 of quart.
  • I'm starting to see slight yellowing color under the oil filler cap, which I've never seen before. It's not gunky though (yet).
  • While the car is idle, removing the oil filler cap is very hard at first and becomes easier the longer I let it idle. Still there is good amount of suction.
Appreciate 0