E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Fueling issue post Stage 3 conversion. Help!

04-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Fueling issue post Stage 3 conversion. Help!

Hey guys...need some minds on this one. Let me preface this with: Prior to taking everything apart, I did not notice any fueling issue at all. I had a little rough idle, which I think was identified to be 2 injectors that were out of spec, I was running the jbd, with no issues that I could tell. However i was getting reduced engine output limp mode but bmw really didnt have a good explanation for it..... But it could have been non diagnosed turbo issues...I did end up having blown a seal and instead of rebuilding or going stock...I upgraded to stage 3 (btw..I have stock turbo cores for sale...ready to ship)

After all was put back and engine running fine heres what i am experiencing: The engine is STRONG....it idles fine...runs fine... UNTIL you really push it..... then...it up and dies....like literally....dead..turns off. Interestingly if you just push the start button immidiately it will crank and crank and no start...but if you wait a little..it will start right back up....indicating there is no pressure in the rail at all initially....We have monitored the requested vs actual flow... requested is going up... on a few runs I saw actual was significantly lower than requested...but not always... ALWAYS when you REALLY give it the juice....it will up and die when you let off. i havent had a long and straight enough run to know if it will die WHILE giving it fuel... (its too damn fast to do that )

Also I am getting the following codes constantly(but this is really all):
4560 Rail-pressure plausibility delivery-controlled
4570 Rail-pressure plausibility delivery-controlled

I dont have much for diagnostic tools at the moment, I have torque pro and that has some stuff...but I dont know that it has everything I need in the fueling department. I have a cable but I havent installed BMWdata yet. Any and all help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

If memory serves me correct, I think jbd's had a thing for destroying the rail pressure sensor for some reason. Can't remember as to why, but I think the common thought is that if there was a jbd on the car, the rail pressure sensor could be compromised.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

Do you have a way to read rail pressure?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO335D
Do you have a way to read rail pressure?
the mechanic does, at the moment all I have is torque pro
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs
If memory serves me correct, I think jbd's had a thing for destroying the rail pressure sensor for some reason. Can't remember as to why, but I think the common thought is that if there was a jbd on the car, the rail pressure sensor could be compromised.
permanently compromised? even when the jbd have been off for months? it would make sense that the rail pressure reading would be completely wrong with the jbd installed... but after?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5d and 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs
permanently compromised? even when the jbd have been off for months? it would make sense that the rail pressure reading would be completely wrong with the jbd installed... but after?
Check the wires from the rail pressure sensor, in my opinion there is a little too much wire exposed on that part of the harness. Could be rubbed thru
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Like I said, I don't really remember the details.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more input...like what Heather said, check the wires. Maybe from plugging, and unplugging the connector it weakens the connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post

I'm sure someone will chime in with more input...like what Heather said, check the wires. Maybe from plugging, and unplugging the connector it weakens the connection.
Anyone know what I should be doing in the Torque pro app to start mapping values to monitor what is going on?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post

Anyone out there that can speak to the details of potential damage caused to the rail pressure sensor by the JBD? And if this could be the source of my issues (would be GREAT if it was )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

You could be having issues with the Pressure Regulating Valve (item 2).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1150

A brief overview of how it works:
https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diese...il_control.php