M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers

04-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Hoonigan808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VF620 E90 M3

Coilovers

What brand of coilovers are best? I know that only M Performance and KW have coilovers out right now for the M2. But of the other companies in existence including M performance and KW which ones would you go for?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan808
What brand of coilovers are best? I know that only M Performance and KW have coilovers out right now for the M2. But of the other companies in existence including M performance and KW which ones would you go for?
Everyone will have a different answer. JRZ, JRI, Ohlins(rare), Fortune Auto are some on the more adjustable side of things.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will be going with MCS when the time comes.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan808
Everyone will have a different answer. JRZ, JRI, Ohlins(rare), Fortune Auto are some on the more adjustable side of things.
Perhaps but there are three clear concensus top picks.

JRZ, Moton, Ohlins

Below that level , let the debate begin..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

You can add Bilstein, you can't go wrong with KW, Bilstein or Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Öhlins is the top pick for a lot of racing series and probably all top teams in all classes of motorcycle racing and should not be compared to KW or Bilstein that most people put on their cars just to lower it. Of course they also provide racing stuff but that is not was most people refer to.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

JRZ performs well, but I went through three sets and I'm not alone. Google JRZ broken and you will find tons and tons of results. MCS has every bit of dampening ability and higher construction quality. On the non-remote reservoir 2 ways, the MCS single knob to adjust compression/rebound without laying under the car and screwing around with the JRZ adjustment system is worth another $500 for sheer convenience in my opinion. Adjusting compression on the rear JRZs is difficult and I have broken multiple tools/screwdrivers/picks/etc because the wheel is poorly designed and will seize up. Ohlins makes great stuff but their premade kits are street focused and under sprung for the track. Parts availability is also not great.

I have been through this several times now and have learned that if you are putting a race-spec aftermarket suspension on your car (not the usual KW or Bilstein stuff), local support trumps everything else. JRZ/MCS/Motons/Penske/Ohlins are all close enough in performance that I would buy whichever one had a local shop to rebuild and support me. You buy MCS and you pick up a phone and you are talking to an American, with American made parts, that ship out of America. You go with JRZ...have fun communicating with the Netherlands. JRZ in the US tried to support me but bottom line is those guys can only do so much, they are at the mercy of the guys overseas.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

JRZ has a great motorsport products, but their street kits, although great riding and performs well on and off the track, do lack reliability. If you use your M2 more on the track than street, you can't go wrong with JRZ.

If you are looking for a dual purpose coilover kit with good installation instructions and less headaches, Ohlins R&T will likely give you the best street ride possible, often improving ride quality over OEM.

MCS and Moton are a couple of other good choices as well, but more for the track than street.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I had the JRZ-RS1 set on my previous 1M, it really was very very compliant, virtulay no rolling and diving, no bumpiness at all, I had it on the 2nd softest setting, witch was just outstanding for dd, I do not go to race tracks.

It was just a shame it was not reliable, I had them 6 times repaired under warrenty.

I must admit JRZ dit never brake any promise on the life time warranty, and if functioning I was very pleased with the set up.

But I do not trust it anymore, so I wil leave my M2 stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #10
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

MCS, MCS, MCS.
Moton is no longer the cream of the crop.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Stav@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E46 ZHP & A3 TDI

Öhlins are really the go to for the f8x chassis, so I wouldn't expect anything less for the M2.
Öhlins History, Craftsmanship, R&D, Design, Quality, Warranty, how it holds up after thousands of miles of fun/abuse, comfort, track ready, etc....these are all important when spending the money upgrading an already very capable system from BMW.

So I would say Öhlins for a nice street/track set up. Well worth the money
Appreciate 0