E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Car thinks battery is discharging, but it isn't!

04-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
locolobo
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Barbera Red Metallic

Garage List
Car thinks battery is discharging, but it isn't!

Today I took my tuned 335d to an Indy shop specializing in German cars. The purpose was to diagnose battery discharge warnings, resulting in the DDE shutting off the instrument cluster, and then the clock resets to 00:00:00, among other things.

The shop recoded my (new) battery and informed me the 335d has no battery discharge sensor, as the BDS are only on the negative terminal. Shop advised they confirmed this at the dealer by giving my VIN. According to them the sensor on the positive battery terminal is to disable the electrical service in case of a crash, not a discharge sensor.

They tested the battery drain and found it to be within normal limits. The car is running well. The cost was $109 for the diagnosis and the registration, for one hour shop time.

But, they were unable to fix the problem in which the car thinks the battery is discharging and then disables the instrument cluster. They suggested this is a problem with my programming since the 335d has no BDS, it shouldn't be sending these messages.

They suggested I return the DDE to factory program and/or then have it re-tuned again to delete the programming for the BDS. Does this sound right?
      04-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

It sounds like a lot of mess in some heads.

Tune was done in engine ECU.

Battery is controlled by Power management System, so what is the relationship?

Anyway when the battery was replaced?
What is the battery real capacity? what capacity was written into the system?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And when you are saying recoded? What exactly was done?

Did they reset just charging histograms?
Or did they set a new battery type and capacity?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

From my experience PWM will detect even a minor charge drop and starts panic.
I was driving a year with normal starts just with clock set to 0's.

After a year i have replaced just because was tired of that clock
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

For the past 1 1/2 years my car kept saying the battery is discharging. Keeps on shutting down the dashboard a few minutes afterwards. Never had the clock go to 00:00.

Starts right up, nu fuss. Never re-registered the battery. I'll just keep it until it really dies, the old fashion way.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
For the past 1 1/2 years my car kept saying the battery is discharging. Keeps on shutting down the dashboard a few minutes afterwards. Never had the clock go to 00:00.

Starts right up, nu fuss. Never re-registered the battery. I'll just keep it until it really dies, the old fashion way.
This is what i was doing, just waiting and waiting, and finally this winter when it was around -20F it did not start, and probably first time in the history i was glad that it finally died, and i have moral right to buy a new one
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
The cost was $109 for the diagnosis and the registration, for one hour shop time.
With these prices, in future, before going into the shop, stop by BJ's and buy a new battery for 115$
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
With these prices, in future, before going into the shop, stop by BJ's and buy a new battery for 115$
Not that it matters I just spent $360 at an indi to replace and code the battery. I did upgrade to a AGM battery, but they indicated while it is the BMW recommendation, the AGM battery does not seem to last any longer. Prices at the dealer are about the same. Battery was 5.5 years old and the car was complaining about excessive discharge, low battery voltage for several months, although it always started and never shut anything down that I noticed.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Not that it matters I just spent $360 at an indi to replace and code the battery. I did upgrade to a AGM battery, but they indicated while it is the BMW recommendation, the AGM battery does not seem to last any longer. Prices at the dealer are about the same. Battery was 5.5 years old and the car was complaining about excessive discharge, low battery voltage for several months, although it always started and never shut anything down that I noticed.
I have replaced battery on my X5, and i had AGM (made by Excide), when i went to BMW dealership they sold me a regular one for 220$ i believe.
So about AGM recommendation probably not true.

Also in my D i had a regular one as well.

And as mentioned before BMW electronics are very sensitive for discharge.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
locolobo
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have finally determined that our D's do NOT have IBS. Through an indy shop and looking at the part available on ECS tuning. Nevertheless the car is throwing a code for excessive battery drain, which in fact is not there according to the shop. Obviously I am not the only victim, but WHY is this happening when there is no IBS? Damn!
      04-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you read questions up in the top?
Or you just like to ask questions?

If you need to know why i can try to find a theory, but in fact i believe you need a new battery, and it doesn't matter what shop says.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
locolobo
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just replaced the battery with a brand new Exide L5/49x. It's 107 rated Ah regular lead acid battery. I am not sure what the.shop registered it as but the only choices are 110 or 90 so I suppose they would have used 110.

I only bought a new battery because the same symptoms were happening with the original battery also. This led me to the theory it was going bad, due to its age.

Lexx and dixy, your symptoms sound very similar to mine.

When I first tried registering it with the Carly App (before taking to shop), I tried both registrations and it made no difference in the clock problem.

Maybe this battery is not compatible with my car. It shows no outward sign of being defective, though.
      04-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just replaced the battery with a brand new Exide L5/49x. It's 107 rated Ah regular lead acid battery. I am not sure what the.shop registered it as but the only choices are 110 or 90 so I suppose they would have used 110.

I only bought a new battery because the same symptoms were happening with the original battery also. This led me to the theory it was going bad, due to its age.

Lexx and dixy, your symptoms sound very similar to mine.

When I first tried registering it with the Carly App (before taking to shop), I tried both registrations and it made no difference in the clock problem.

Maybe this battery is not compatible with my car. It shows no outward sign of being defective, though.
This is exactly the battery i am running on my 335d.

I have changed type and registered it using INPA, and do not have any problems.

I would suggest do get somebody with INPA and download configuration to make sure it is registered correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #14
locolobo
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good to know that battery works Lexx. Our cars do not have IBS, nor do they have oil condition sensor (as far as I can tell). I still haven't figured out my problem with these warnings. I'll be working on it this weekend.
      04-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #15
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

What fault codes do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good to know that battery works Lexx. Our cars do not have IBS, nor do they have oil condition sensor (as far as I can tell). I still haven't figured out my problem with these warnings. I'll be working on it this weekend.
I don't know why are so obsessed with IBS, nobody besides you are talking about it.
We don't have it and who cares, we have much more other stuff to worry about.

IBS sounds like very simple device we have much more complex system, so forget about IBS and work with battery registrations in power module.
Appreciate 0