E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > To increase reliability, I must upgraded and JR stage 2?

04-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
ChiDiddy
Rep
Drives: pop smoke

To increase reliability, I must upgraded and JR stage 2?

Hi, after having 84k miles on my D, I finally had to the CBU issue and lucky enough to have extended warranty to cover. Now that the warranty ends soon, I really don't want to shell out money for CBU issues in the future.

From what I have gathered, best way to prevent these issues are EGR block off, SCR/DEF delete, plus stage 2 tuning from JR? With the tune, no SES lights will come on from those things removed correct?

I really never intended to mod this car, but I will if it prevents costly and future headaches, that i won't be able fix myself.

Anybody run this setup for an extended time? I really down for whatever increases reliability...

Still searching on DIY guides on removing the DEF AND SCR...

Last edited by ChiDiddy; 04-27-2016 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Carbon Build Up is a combination of soot and oil cooked together in the intake. It is much like creosote in your chimney. To eliminate CBU, you only need to defeat the EGR and, if you want to eliminate the other component of CBU, install an oil catch can in the CCV line. Plenty of discussion of both on these forums.

DPF, SCR, and tuning have nothing to do with CBU.

Last edited by QUIKDZL; 04-27-2016 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Deleting those systems will prevent future failure of the DPF and SCR systems though. These will go bad in time, and cost much more to fix than just getting a DP and retuning it.

Methanol injection systems have been recorded to help assist in cleaning the intake from CBU. Even after a couple thousand miles with my WMI kit, I've looked into the intake with a good improvement in terms of CBU. There was only a minor amount inside, even after 30k miles of blocked EGR after a dealer completed CBU cleaning.
      04-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
ChiDiddy
Rep

QUIK, from what I've gathered, EGR block would cause a SES, which to get rid of it, it's best to tune it out. But JR only offers total deleted of SCR def and EGR, along with better tune for the deletes.

Yes, I've dealt with def issues early on with my D, and rather get rid of it. So any problems with the JR route?

I've used snow performance W/m kit in the past, for over 60k miles in a previous car. Generally good for keeping valves clean I guess but I don't want to add another system that has potential to fail. I don't see why not spray a mist of water/meth into the airstream under load....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

This is pretty much all this forum has talked about the last six or so years. Not sure why you need a thread to ask the same question over again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mrdeezy makes a good point, ChiDiddy. I was simply responding to your question reagrding deleting the entire alphabet to avoid CBU. Carbon build-up is simply soot and oil vapors combined with heat.

As for me, I had the EGR tuned out for everyting but warm-ups and dangerously high EGT. I had the car dyno tuned for maximum power with the DPF and SCR intact, installed a water/meth injection system, and installed an oil catch can. I documented it in a post called Clean Stage 2 Tune.
      04-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #7
ChiDiddy
Rep

Thanks for the replies. It's hard to keep up when the diesel forum is not broken down into subsections.

I'm guess this thread is kind of making sure I got my basis covered. I don't mind additional performance while I'm at it. Plus, the issues with SCR and dpf is inevitable.

QUIK, so ur saying EGR can be tuned out by itself now? No issues or SES along with catch can? Should be sufficient for CBU problem at the minimum right?

Edit:
Just read the thread. So essentially if I don't want w/m, I can just simply do the EGR tune and catch can, and still get some gains in hp/to? Wow

Last edited by ChiDiddy; 04-28-2016 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

04-29-2016, 01:50 AM   #9
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

JR offers a tune that keeps the ABCs but tunes the SES for the EGR. Still have to physically block the thing. May be an option.
Appreciate 0