E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 330D E92 - Anything I should know?

04-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
MarkoHF
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

330D E92 - Anything I should know?

Right this isn't the 335D, but the 330D, so I guess it's in the right section?

Back on topic, I am planing to purchase a 2008 330D E92 with 90k miles. With the 236HP engine (the older one)

Anything I should know about this model? (Anything besides Catalytic Converters, DPF)?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

There not that much people from Europe on this forum, mostly US.

But as i know same issues as always it doesn't matter which side of pond you are
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
I Got the same engine in a E91.
Not much to say but buy it.
No problems if you use it. If you drive s lot of cold short trips, carbon builds up.
I drive aprox 50.000 km a year and have no problems with it.
Check for flaps in the inlet. Get them removed or change the inlet to the new version. Otherwise you risk they fall off and gets sucked into the engine....

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #4
MarkoHF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
I Got the same engine in a E91.
Not much to say but buy it.
No problems if you use it. If you drive s lot of cold short trips, carbon builds up.
I drive aprox 50.000 km a year and have no problems with it.
Check for flaps in the inlet. Get them removed or change the inlet to the new version. Otherwise you risk they fall off and gets sucked into the engine....
Right, so in order for Carbon not to build up, I need to always warm the engine and at the end of the day to drive it a bit on the highway. Since I plan to drive 99% in town with trips less than 2 km.

What if Carbon does build up, how would I know? Any signs like smoke etc? And then what is the easiest way to clean it up, do I need to open the engine?

Also for the inlet flaps, when I am looking for a car is there a way to see if they've been broken and sucked already? Would the car run if they've been broken and sucked in the engine? Or does the engine dies out and won't start if they are broken? (kind of dumb question )
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
If you only drive 2km at a time most of the time I would not buy a diesel. When I write "use it" I mean drive longer trips to get it warm. I got an Awron display in mine to see oil temp, and it actually takes almost 20km before the engine oil is warm. So small short trips is not good for the engine.
It Will never be warm and Will over time have proberblyhave issues with sood or carbon.
But if you use it it's a good engine. Mine has 378.000km on the clock and I have only changed parts for tuning purpose, turbo, down pipes, intercooler. Not had any issues with other things on it. And it almost always runs for 80-120 km at a time.
You can't see carbon build up without taking the inlet apart and investigate it. Same goes for the flaps. But if they are gone into the engine it will not run or run VERY badly since in most cases there will be damage to the valves or heads.
If there are carbon I know some use walnut blasting for the inlet to clean it. Same procedure as for petrol cars.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
MarkoHF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
If you only drive 2km at a time most of the time I would not buy a diesel. When I write "use it" I mean drive longer trips to get it warm. I got an Awron display in mine to see oil temp, and it actually takes almost 20km before the engine oil is warm. So small short trips is not good for the engine.
It Will never be warm and Will over time have proberblyhave issues with sood or carbon.
But if you use it it's a good engine. Mine has 378.000km on the clock and I have only changed parts for tuning purpose, turbo, down pipes, intercooler. Not had any issues with other things on it. And it almost always runs for 80-120 km at a time.
You can't see carbon build up without taking the inlet apart and investigate it. Same goes for the flaps. But if they are gone into the engine it will not run or run VERY badly since in most cases there will be damage to the valves or heads.
If there are carbon I know some use walnut blasting for the inlet to clean it. Same procedure as for petrol cars.
Well the thing is, I don't have much of a choice, I live in a third world country and there in total 4 E92 cars for sale in the entire country.

One is a 330XD 2008 and the rest are 320D 2008 which are a bit under powered for me.

If I want to get a 330i I would need to import it from Germany which would cost me an arm and a leg and then selling it is impossible since no one drives a petrol car here.

So my choice would probably have to be a diesel.

Does weather conditions impact how much do I need to drive the car for the engine to get warm? Since on average here the temperature is mostly hot, like above 40C, winter rarely gets bellow 0C and that is like 1 or 2 days.

Also I live near the highway so it's not a problem to drive it hard for a bit to clean the engine (after long traffic jams), but driving additional 15km a day just for a 4-5km trip is a bit of a hustle for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #7
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Weather has some influence on how fast the oil gets up in working temp. But not much.
We have 20 degrees C these days and the car still has to run 12-15km before the oil is at working temp.
Sounds like importing is as expensive at your place as it is here. We pay for 1 car and get taxed 150% on top of that. So cars here are also expensive... :-(

Appreciate 0