E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > So today this happened... >:(

04-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Angry So today this happened... >:(

So i brought the D to Americas Tires, where I myself have gone for over 10 years and my parents long before that, to get the wheels balanced. I go look at the car when the wheels are put back on and something catches my eye. The "clear coat" of the rear wheel is bubbled, peeling in a ring that connects all holes for the lugs. I then look at the front and nothing there, then look at the other rear wheel and same thing but worse. I ask one of the two guys who worked on it what it was from stating it wasn't there prior. He takes me to the balancer and shows me some rubber cone that makes contact with the wheel to protect it. He explains that it does it and next time just ask for them to do it some other way (which he explained but I cant recall what he called it). So here I am with the rear wheels looking like shi* and the front look normal. The "tech" then trying to say oh it was probably there before which I replied NO, i wash and detail my car every week, that was defiantly not there prior. I go inside and speak with the supervisor. The supervisor who we go to the car and trys to feed me the following bs... Oh your cars what year? It's 5 years old, oh its the clear coat of the wheel deteriorating. I said no way look at the front they are fine and your tech just told me (what i mentioned above). Supervisor says, there's no such thing he lied to you then. I said if its deteriorating then the front would have the same issues also. Then he argues about different production lines since the rear are wider (staggered set). I told him sure, but i highly doubt they use a different compound on only the rear wheels. Ultimately he disagrees HOWEVER will fix them but sending them out which he tells me will cost him $150 each wheel. I explain I just had tires replaced recently on the rear only and there was no issue then. He tells me one was in Oct. '15 and other Nov '15 and follows up with the comment, "like 6 months ago." I asked for something in writing that they will fix it as I can not leave my car for about a week as he asked. After thinking about things i'm defiantly going to call the regional office because I'm assuming $150 is cheap and i'm sure they'll do a shitty job. I'd feel more comfortable with taking them to get fixed and America's Tires pick up the tab. Someone else mentioned additional compensation for the inconvenience. I'll add photos in the next post but it's hard to see. It looks as if they put the rubber boot thing on too tight and the wheel spun free a little causing the coat to bubble and build up in one direction. Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Photos
Attached Images

Last edited by Hockey13; 04-29-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Didn't get the problem, tire shop usually is not touching these areas.

If i would see pictures without description i would say that rim is going apart and there is some internal crack happening.

Something like this:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachm...1957741283.jpg
http://www.thewellings.co.uk/audi-sport/m3crash/3.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md
Didn't get the problem, tire shop usually is not touching these areas.

If i would see pictures without description i would say that rim is going apart and there is some internal crack happening.

Something like this:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachm...1957741283.jpg
http://www.thewellings.co.uk/audi-sport/m3crash/3.jpg
No definitely no cracks. it's the clear coat which is why It's hard to see in photo and u can't see the bubbling because it's only a photo.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

That is pretty much the same size as the balancer cone to keep the wheel on. It's either made of some kind of hard rubber or metal.
      04-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d
That is pretty much the same size as the balancer cone to keep the wheel on. It's either made of some kind of hard rubber or metal.
Yea that's what it was the cone thing. The tech showed me it and apparently does it so the tech said there is is a way they can do it differently so it doesn't happen. then the supervisor denied such thing and said the tech lied to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
JayNC335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d w/ Sport pkg

150 sounds about right. I bent and screwed up all 4 of my rims recently and I was quoted 125-150 to repair the bent. I ended up buying new ones instead, but this is just a cosmetic issue, it sucks, but can be fixed easily
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I see the screw up... That sucks I've been there twice from tire shops messing up my wheels

The picture I posted is the wing nut and cup that is used to hold the wheel to a balancer. The cup is hard plastic with a rubber ring on it which is usually missing or trashed... Either way using that cup on anything but steel wheels will run a risk of ruining the finish.

The second pic I posted are various cones which are also used to hold wheels on a tire balancer. The smallest one should have been used instead of that plastic cup. Using the cone properly would have held the wheel on the machine by putting pressure on the wheel from the center cap hole instead of the face of the wheel.

Also $150 is average for getting that sort of repair made at a wheel repair facility.
I have 2 piece wheels on my mini and it was that much for each wheel that had to be repaired.

Last time it happened to me, I got approval from the store manager of the shop that messed up my wheels. I went to the repair facility of my choice, told them the situation, and the tire shop contacted the wheel repair shop to arrange payment. I dropped of the wheel that need fixed and picked it up a few days later.

Good luck. I feel your pain/anger at the situation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

that definitely looks like it came from the tire balancer mount. Don't let them screw you over. They won't admit it.

I took my car to America's Tire Pasadena and then brotha behind the shop stripped the lug bolt. He then tried to thread it back in with a plier!! I caught him red-handed and he stopped and was like "oh its stripped" ... i'm like... soo why you trying to force it back in?

The manager reimbursed me $10 bucks but these fuckers will do anything to hide it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #10
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

You can see here using a metal cone instead of that plastic cup. This is how alloy wheels should be mounted on a tire balancer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #11
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Improper fitment of the cone WILL cause that. We have a plastic cone at work and I hate using it for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

First off thanks to you all for the wealth of information.

So I drive it home, a mile or two max, park it for about 30 mins then get back in and drive about 1/10 a mile and tpms kicks on. rear left. I stop at a gas station and use the inflation Guage which reads 30 and the other rear tire reads 35. Door sticker spec is 40 for non-100mph. By this time americas tires just closed. So now I'm back here at americas tires waiting until they eventually get to me. What a joke!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Friggin' tire monkeys! I always grit my teeth and chew my nails when I need go to get tires. I either take the wheels off and bring them in (wouldn't have helped in this case) or take my rides to one of my dealer customer and pay a little more. I have had the chimps at a tire store call me a liar and treat me like crap too. Escalated to regional and got handled. I told the regional I was not even comfortable with them touching my car. That is when I started dismounting my wheels and bringing them in. I have been in the auto business 30 years and the shit I see and caliber of service these days (lack of) still surprises me. I don't worry so much about my dually or company car.

Last edited by fsd350; 04-30-2016 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: add
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Pretty much all tire shops suck. They use the least cost labor. The kids that couldn't even pass high school shop class.

Last month I had new Conti DW tires installed. They balanced them like crap and even lost my wheel lock key. Which the required a visit to my dealer to identify the correct replacement key.
      04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

This happened to me when I went to get my wheels balanced. I work at a dealer and was right there when the Tech was in the middle of balancing. Scratched and bubbled my clear coat just like the above picture.

Such a major turn off.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBN54
This happened to me when I went to get my wheels balanced. I work at a dealer and was right there when the Tech was in the middle of balancing. Scratched and bubbled my clear coat just like the above picture.

Such a major turn off.
What was/is done wrong aside from using the wrong cones to cause it? Allegedly the rubber cone thing is supposed to be safe...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #17
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
What was/is done wrong aside from using the wrong cones to cause it? Allegedly the rubber cone thing is supposed to be safe...
The problems are: A.) Don't have the right adapters. B.) Don't know. C.) Don't care. D.) All of the above.
I feel you bro. Frustrating

Last edited by fsd350; 04-30-2016 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: feel
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #18
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Its all about doing some research on a shop, I know a lot of guys dislike the dealer, however, they do have the right stuff to work on these cars

Or look for a Indy shop that has hunter equipment and save a few bucks.

(BPC's Tire changing center below )
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #19
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

America's Tire is the same as Discount Tire, right? I've had 2 bad experiences there now. Agree with posters above saying the "tire monkeys" couldn't pass a HS shop class. Most recently one of the kids screwed up my TPMS sensor on install. Took me over a month and no less than 5 visits back to the same shop to finally get it fixed. Only saw real progress after putting in a complaint through the national website. I have no idea how this company got to be so big with this kind of terrible service. Previously, one of their "technicians" advised me not to drive over curbs. I almost smacked the little prick. I will definately be going elsewhere in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #20
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
There should be no contact with the face of the wheel period. Balancing machines touch the wheel either at the center bore or lug holes.

The damage in your case is occurring once the wheel stops from spinning and the machine applies brakes. Rotational Inertia causes the wheel to tighten against the rubber cone (that is stopped) therefore causing damages seen on your wheel.

This sucks because now your rear wheels will look nice and new and fronts will look aged. I hope you get it done by a shop that knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #21
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

yep it so obvious they screwed up that's why when I go for ANY issues on my tires I stay close to see what they're doing
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

I've been around the block a few times with wheels getting damaged or not balanced right and here's what I did to find what will now be my go-to tire shop, which strangely enough is my local NTB (National Tire and Battery for those not familiar), and to make sure that my wheels don't get ruined.

1) Call ahead and ask about price and the age of their equipment. When I called around NTB had the best price for mount and balance and had nearly new Hunter equipment just like that described above by Bob. Easy choice to take them there.

2) If you're able, dismount your wheels and bring them in yourself. This demonstrates that you have at least some mechanical aptitude and aren't some clueless d-bag BMW owner. It also provides the opportunity to chat a bit with the tech or service manager while you unload the wheels so you can....

3) TAKE PICTURES of each wheel right in front of the tech or the service manager and point out the existing flaws. This way they know you are paying attention and will give your wheels the extra attention they deserve.

4) If possible, stick around and watch them work. Make sure they know you're watching. They will behave accordingly.

It sucks that you can't just trust a place to do a good job.
Appreciate 2