E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Clearing a code - will this hasten a NOx sensor "no start" warning?

05-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Clearing a code - will this hasten a NOx sensor "no start" warning?

Question:

Does manually clearing a SES light (in this case P2201 NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance code) using the ODB port have ANY affect at all on when we might get a "200 miles to no start" error?

My 2011 335d had that message a couple of times in a few weeks, and I cleared it myself. Then a month or so later, I had the "Incorrect DEF fluid - no start in 200 miles" error and a $2600 repair.

The same thing is showing on my OTHER 2011 335d, which my daughter drives.

Does anyone know if manually clearing the NOx codes could or would have ANYTHING to do with how long before the car issues the "no start" message? Are they related at all?

Don't know enough about how manually clearing the codes would affect the system. Anyone know? thanks much.

In other words, should I leave the code and the light ON, or clear it, or does it matter at all to the computer system?

Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
Question:

Does manually clearing a SES light (in this case P2201 NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance code) using the ODB port have ANY affect at all on when we might get a "200 miles to no start" error?

My 2011 335d had that message a couple of times in a few weeks, and I cleared it myself. Then a month or so later, I had the "Incorrect DEF fluid - no start in 200 miles" error and a $2600 repair.

Does anyone know if manually clearing the NOx codes could or would have ANYTHING to do with how long before the car issues the "no start" message? Are they related at all?

Don't know enough about how manually clearing the codes would affect the system. Anyone know? thanks much.

In other words, should I leave the code and the light ON, or clear it, or does it matter at all to the computer system?

Thanks much.
You need to scan with auto logic, Carly or ista to get the BMW codes, Pcodes are almost useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
You need to scan with auto logic, Carly or ista to get the BMW codes, Pcodes are almost useless.
I own this one too. I'll scan with this one and see what it shows. Thanks much.

iCarsoft Multi-system Scanner i910 for BMW/Mini

i910 Series is a new vehicle fault diagnostic tool developed by Icarsoft Technology Inc.. Specially for DIY users and the servicemen of small service factories. This product supplies color LCD display and personalized function menu. It supports BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 series, X series, Z series and Mini. The supported system includes Engine, Auto Transmission, ABS, Air bag, Air condition, Instrument cluster, Elec. immobilize system, etc."
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
Question:

Thanks much.
What makes you think that these errors are related?
I see two separate issues.
Add DEF first.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
Add DEF first.
They are related only in that I had the exact same codes in my other 335d, and I cleared them manually, then I had the "incorrect DEF no start" event because the NOx sensors failed and incorrectly reported bad DEF fluid.

But to be on the safe side, I will add DEF to the passive tank. I filled the active tank a few weeks ago. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
Add DEF first.
failed NOx sensors can lead to the incorrect DEF warning. Not sure why that would be a $2600 repair though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
failed NOx sensors can lead to the incorrect DEF warning. Not sure why that would be a $2600 repair though.
If you are interested, full story here :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241780
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:10 AM   #8
AUDELA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N53 3.0L (E93) 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post

Resurrecting- just to know if anyone knows whether Bimmerlink is reliable in showing and clearing the BMW codes ? And is there any chance the NOX errors can be cleared without refitting a new sensor, NOXEM or with a NOX delete?
Appreciate 0