E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > ABC delete 335d USA drivers - how has reliability been after delete? Costs?

05-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
ABC delete 335d USA drivers - how has reliability been after delete? Costs?

Calling all 335d owners who have done an emissions delete - I need your input please !!

My daughter's 2011 335d is constantly in the shop for various emissions issues, and even a non-emissions repair now and again. We are both getting sick of having to take it in and drive loaners all the time, and we are on the verge of wanting to trade this thing - problem is, we are upside down on the loan, so...

I know the "ABC delete/emissions delete" has been done by a lot of you.

The common wisdom on these 335d in the USA is that once the emissions system is gutted or bypassed, that the reliability of these cars improves and supposedly they hit the shop less often.

My questions to people who have done it is:

Do you find this to be REALLY true?
What have been your repair/maintenance costs on engine and drivetrain AFTER the delete compared to before? Significant? Minor? Non-existent?
Do you really see less shop time now?

Please fill me in. I have two of these, and if I see a good financial savings to performing the delete on BOTH of them, I will try to figure out how to afford it.

Thanks much !!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

I wouldn't be for any changes that produces smoke or smell.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Prior to the delete and tune, the work I had done to the car included 6 injectors, a new ECU, and a new DEF. After the tune and delete, I've only had regular maintenance and the dreaded vibration damper.

Edit: The smoke is not too bad but forget about driving with the windows down.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chau View Post
Prior to the delete and tune, the work I had done to the car included 6 injectors, a new ECU, and a new DEF. After the tune and delete, I've only had regular maintenance and the dreaded vibration damper.

Edit: The smoke is not too bad but forget about driving with the windows down.
Thanks much for the good info. Too bad about the windows down situation....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2020 M2C

Garage List
Along with the emissions delete, the crank case ventilation should be addressed along with an EGR block. This will significantly reduce your carbon build up in the intake manifold and the head. This carbon build up or CBU is not inherent to diesels, but a direct injection engine issue.

The amount of smoke post emissions delete varies based on the tune. Some tunes out there JRTuning and BPC for example, have various stages that involve an emissions equipment or "alphabet soup" delete and so will the smoke/ soot amount. The diesel exhaust fumes may be reduced somewhat with the introduction of a high flow cat in the down pipe once you go emissions free so that you can roll with the windows down.

Prior to all this I had an SCR metering valve replaced. Post all this, in my case, no issues at all. Efficiency increased, fun factor increased, reliability increased and potential emissions issues avoided.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Less stuff in the car, less probability that something will broke
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Damn! You're having the same dilemma that I am. Car has been in the shop 7 times in 4 months for emissions related items. I drive loaners more than my own car. I too am upside down, and trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty, or delete.

I've had cars with down pipes etc before. 4 things I don't like about modded cars, the exhaust smell (I'll get a cat), the noise (dp are louder maybe add a resonator), it won't pass emissions, and the cost/lack of people who can service it.

With that said once you get it to work it will make the emissions more reliable. Especially if you have a shop that knows the recipe.

Let me know what you decide. I'm deciding the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
tek4tex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D Space Metallic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Damn! You're having the same dilemma that I am. Car has been in the shop 7 times in 4 months for emissions related items. I drive loaners more than my own car. I too am upside down, and trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty, or delete.

I've had cars with down pipes etc before. 4 things I don't like about modded cars, the exhaust smell (I'll get a cat), the noise (dp are louder maybe add a resonator), it won't pass emissions, and the cost/lack of people who can service it.

With that said once you get it to work it will make the emissions more reliable. Especially if you have a shop that knows the recipe.

Let me know what you decide. I'm deciding the same thing.
My main goal in the deletes process was gaining reliability. My car's only real issues from new were all emissions related with the major expense the replacement of the SCR tank and mixer twice. Understanding that without extended warranty coverage I would be spending far more than the deletes and tune, it was an easy decision. My stage 2 bfc is pretty much smoke free unless the throttle is mashed with odor that is so minimal neither my wife or daughter complain about. There have been no issues at all with over 6,000 miles since the tune. The extra power is great especially averaging 40 mpg on the highway with zero oil consumption between changes.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Apart from the glow plug module and the FRM going dead on me, I had 0 issues with the car. I'd recommend the EGR delete and in my opinion the crankcase ventilation does not need to be tampered with.
You should expect the vacuum lines and vibration damper pulley to go bad sooner or later, so that's something to take care off before they happen. Other than that I think this is a very reliable car.
$0.02
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

It was cheaper for me to get the deletes than to replace the DEF tank for a faulty level sensor. NY requirements for the inspections are no CEL and readiness OK so this was a no brainer for me lol.
      05-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

I was surprised just how bad the smell and smoke is post delete. I never leave the car running anymore when it sits. People I know who know nothing about cars always comment about the smell. Kinda insecure about it at this point. Punching the gas peddle is fun though!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
I was surprised just how bad the smell and smoke is post delete. I never leave the car running anymore when it sits. People I know who know nothing about cars always comment about the smell. Kinda insecure about it at this point. Punching the gas peddle is fun though!
If you're smoking/hazing at idle, you have a mechanical problem like an out of balance/worn injector or turbo seals wearing out. If you don't like the smoke level under wot, simply ask your tuner for an update. I don't have any smell issues with my windows down, but I've installed MagnaFlow high flow diesel cats on customer cars with great success in smell reduction for those with a sensitive nose. Any compotent fabricator should be able to weld one in for you on an existing installation or order a dp with one in it if buying new.

I did the ABC's as preventative maintenance and haven't had any issues other than rear brake pads and front tires getting sidewall bubbles. I'll be doing the harmonic dampener in the near future as PM also.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #13
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Can't drive with the windows down? Its really not bad at all, the only time I notice is when I'm sitting at a light with the window down and the wind is coming from directly behind me. Even then its faint.
Maybe you should buy a gasser and pay for spark plugs / coil packs if you're worried about this...
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I wouldn't be surprised if the EPA really starts cracking down on emission control deletes. I was around one the other day and the smoke wasn't bad but at idle it still had that diesel stench. Cat or not, if you delete the DEF, it will smell. Gross.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the EPA really starts cracking down on emission control deletes. I was around one the other day and the smoke wasn't bad but at idle it still had that diesel stench. Cat or not, if you delete the DEF, it will smell. Gross.
Texas would have a revolt if they started testing diesel emissions.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of pickup trucks which have been chipped/tuned/deleted. And most of them are gun owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Whitbread, maybe I'm the only one to notice. You have the slip ring (not sure what proper term is) on back of DP and front of Y pipe too. Pretty slick. I used the same 2 into 1 collector. A lot cleaner than some of the others used. So, you just use 2 V band clamps instead of 1. I'm guessing that is an "in house" DP you made for yourself as I've seen your primo welding. Would you mind sharing the P/N and maker of that Cat please?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
Texas would have a revolt if they started testing diesel emissions.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of pickup trucks which have been chipped/tuned/deleted. And most of them are gun owners.
Naw, they didn't revolt when cars went under testing, or when the state instituted the environmental speed limits still in effect. Heck not even when open container went away. When I moved here it was still legal to drink and drive.

Mandatory emissions testing is already hitting trucking companies, I suspect it will hit consumer vehicles as well. The reason it hasn't happened to diesels yet is there are few of them on the road compared to gasoline. Even most trucks are gas, cept the bro dozers.

I still think it was stupid Texans ever agreed to allow legislators to mandate vehicle inspections I mean taxes... A lot of states didn't.

Last edited by Thecastle; 05-04-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Naw, they didn't revolt when cars went under testing, or when the state instituted the environmental speed limits still in effect. Heck not even when open container went away. When I moved here it was still legal to drink and drive. Mandatory emissions testing is already hitting trucking companies, I suspect it will hit consumer vehicles as well. The reason it hasn't happened to diesels yet is there are few of them on the road compared to gasoline. Even most trucks are gas, cept the bro dozers. I still think it was stupid Texans ever agreed to allow legislators to mandate vehicle inspections I mean taxes... A lot of states didn't.
Pertinent point in my statement is "most of them are gun owners" LOL. You try to make them spend a coupla three thousand to clean and SLOW DOWN their trucks, and you are going to have some serious protest.

My point is as a Texan, IMHO they will not start limiting diesel emissions on passenger cars any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #19
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have 19K since deleted and zero mechanical problems (not including breaking a headlight).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #20
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
The op asked only a reliability question and smell wasn't mentioned in there. You have very well voiced your opinion multiple times, in multiple other threads, that anything other than fairies and butterflies from the tail pipe is unacceptable, evil, and you disapprove. If your 335D sours you so badly, why not just sell it and join a prius or tesla forum instead of grumbling here about how expensive to maintain and stinky it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Whitbread, maybe I'm the only one to notice. You have the slip ring (not sure what proper term is) on back of DP and front of Y pipe too. Pretty slick. I used the same 2 into 1 collector. A lot cleaner than some of the others used. So, you just use 2 V band clamps instead of 1. I'm guessing that is an "in house" DP you made for yourself as I've seen your primo welding. Would you mind sharing the P/N and maker of that Cat please?
Those are V band rings, I hate bolted flanges. I had a batch of 5 collectors custom made as the CL to CL of the inlets on all other off the shelf collectors was 1/4" different than what I measured the pipes bolted up to be. I didn't want to have pipes at slight angles; I'm slightly anal about those things haha.

Yes, that was an in house dp for a gentlemen's race car that arrived and departed on a trailer. It's a magaflow, PN 59959. My personal dp is missing the feline.

Last edited by Whitbread; 05-04-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #21
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

ok ok Im at over 20k with the abc delete and no problems as of yet, car runs smoother and better mpg, downside the smell but who cares I always have the a/c on anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #22
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernoob View Post
Stench?? I've been driving diesels for over 15 years now. It's the smell from the gassers that gross me out these days. Lol
You don't smell diesel fumes when you are sitting in traffic ? Lucky you!
Appreciate 0