E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2011 335d - Time to start the build

05-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
dominican
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Prelude

2011 335d - Time to start the build

Like the title says, it's time for me to start the build of the ol beast. Here is a picture with the other stable mates (missing a prelude):

Here is the Prelude:

Anyway, after some research, I am going to be getting Jarek to install the JR tune on it. I NEED the following items:

EGR block off plates - Where can I buy some of these? I know the installation guide is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=EGR
Downpipe - Which one is the best for the JR tune, and where can I get it?
Exhaust after the downpipe - should I just get a custom straight pipe exhaust?

Something I am thinking about getting is meth injection, but I am not sure it is necessary since I just had the carbon cleanup done by BMW.

My last question is: Does anyone know of any reputable shop in the NY metro area that can do this work on the car? I would do it myself, but I already have the S2000 track car to take care of, I just don't have the time to deal with the BMW on top of it, and keep a full time job.

Thanks in advance for your help. Since there is no sticky, no one stop shop for all this, I will attempt to get another post set up on where to get ALL the necessary parts, to help any future dieselheads.

Last edited by dominican; 05-07-2016 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Good plan. May wish to consider a Bohl downpipe and ask him for a cat inside to reduce the diesel smell. For the EGR block off plates you may wish to consider the AARodriguez race pipe that will also get you to lose the EGR cooler. For the exhaust, there are a few options. One is out of Europe that comes with a downpipe already, then there is Buzzken, Unabtanium Welding, and the one you get from eBay that is made for 335i. You would have to rework it a bit. There are a few threads on it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Good plan. May wish to consider a Bohl downpipe and ask him for a cat inside to reduce the diesel smell. For the EGR block off plates you may wish to consider the AARodriguez race pipe that will also get you to lose the EGR cooler. For the exhaust, there are a few options. One is out of Europe that comes with a downpipe already, then there is Buzzken, Unabtanium Welding, and the one you get from eBay that is made for 335i. You would have to rework it a bit. There are a few threads on it.
Hey there, we have 3 different exhaust brands for your car, and 2 options for your EGR and we are the USA distributor for JR

http://www.fixmyvw.com/search.php?search_query=335d
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
dominican
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW View Post
Hey there, we have 3 different exhaust brands for your car, and 2 options for your EGR and we are the USA distributor for JR

http://www.fixmyvw.com/search.php?search_query=335d

Awesome, thanks for the link. Now, what do I need? I want the least expensive/most effective downpipe (uncatted is just fine) and the least expensive exhaust.

Now, I also need a mechanic shop in the NY metro area that I can trust to get this work done.

Andrew, are you also the guy that does the tuning with Jarek?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I'm a fireman in Manhattan, I just did all that you speak of. If you need a downpipe. I have a brand new in the box buzzken $500. I went a different route for the exhaust. Profi exhaust. If you have any questions I can help. I'm just having a Lil hiccup with my small turbo/vacume right now. Andrew from AA is,a good guy also. I went with BPC cause there in the srates in NC and I got BPC #3 tune w/meth. Theve been great.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Or if your just looking for someone that does it all is Jess Bohl who's in Albany. He works hand in hand with BPC with there tune. Drop your car off and take the train back down
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Hope you don't keep all the toys in Washington Heights
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I can't speak for Jereks tune (because I have no idea) but I know BPC's is verified by me and a few others to work in NY when time comes for the NYSI.

Meth isn't too important, but it has had proven effects on cleaning out the CBU. Mind you, the EGR block is needed. I find it much more fun to drive around with than anything.
      05-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
dominican
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYBRAVO1 View Post
I'm a fireman in Manhattan, I just did all that you speak of. If you need a downpipe. I have a brand new in the box buzzken $500. I went a different route for the exhaust. Profi exhaust. If you have any questions I can help. I'm just having a Lil hiccup with my small turbo/vacume right now. Andrew from AA is,a good guy also. I went with BPC cause there in the srates in NC and I got BPC #3 tune w/meth. Theve been great.

Thanks Johnny, let me get in touch with the BPC tuning guys at Bohl to find out what I should do for the downpipe. Thank you for being a fireman btw, it's a tough job. I'll be in touch.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
dominican
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hope you don't keep all the toys in Washington Heights
haha, I don't live in the city, I'm in the suburbs, I have a house in Westchester and a house in Rockland county, looking for property in PA as well. I really can't see myself living in NYC, and never in the heights (even though I am Dominican, I don't fit into that area.)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Hahahaha, and thankyou. I didn't think so with those toys. I had the same prelude SH. I loved it. BPC is in NC ask for Randall. BOHL makes his own down pipes and does the installs of all diesels. Jess is a Really nice guy. BOB at BPC is a wizard on the tunes for all bmws
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #12
dominican
Private
Rep

Welp, the car is in good hands now at Bohl Diesel Performance. Jess is a really good guy, I'm kind of upset I haven't found him until now.

I'll report back once it's all done.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #13
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
Welp, the car is in good hands now at Bohl Diesel Performance. Jess is a really good guy, I'm kind of upset I haven't found him until now.

I'll report back once it's all done.

It's all about convenience as I did likewise with Jarek since I live 45 minutes from him.

I've met Jess a couple of times and he's a great guy. Very honest with an unmatched work ethic.

P.S. Ask him about the story surrounding my old open differential sitting in a crate that "required" a downpipe.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
dominican
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
It's all about convenience as I did likewise with Jarek since I live 45 minutes from him.

I've met Jess a couple of times and he's a great guy. Very honest with an unmatched work ethic.

P.S. Ask him about the story surrounding my old open differential sitting in a crate that "required" a downpipe.
Agreed, I had already spoken to Jarek, but since Jess was much closer, I went with him. Meeting up with Jess was awesome, very nice guy, very knowledgeable and very passionate about diesels of all kind. He showed me his other projects, including his bonkers diesel truck.

Anyway, I'm just glad there are people that are willing to work on our 335ds, if it weren't for them I wouldn't have bought the car, with all of its restrictive emissions nonsense that break every 5 seconds and require hundreds of dollars and many hours to fix every time.

I can't wait to get the beast back next week...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5d and 335d

It's pretty much done now
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
dominican
Private
Rep

IT'S DONE! I picked it up yesterday, and the difference is night and day. I feel like I am truly driving a very special car now. On the highway, it goes from 70 to 120 as if air resistance no longer applied, and the deer whistles are addicting, I am driving wit the windows down now most of the time.

As for smoke, there really isn't much to be honest. The exhaust smells, but it's nothing like what comes out of a bus, it smells almost sweet. It started smoking at idle a bit, but hopefully it goes away soon.

The guys at Bohl Performance Diesel do amazing work, and are really good guys. They were cleaning my car when I got there, and then offered me a beer as we chatted for a while. These guys are awesome, and I trust that they stand behind their work. I also got to see the other trucks they work on, it looks like business is good for them!

There was even a teaser that I got to see, this is something they're working on:

Last edited by dominican; 06-11-2016 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 4
      06-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #17
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Guys at BPC OR BOHL? I thought you brought it to Jess.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #18
dominican
Private
Rep

Quote:
Guys at BPC OR BOHL? I thought you brought it to Jess.

At Bohl Performance, those guys are the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
There was even a teaser that I got to see, this is something they're working on
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Oye Dominicano Jess me dijo que fuistes a su casa, Me alegro por ti. Enjoy the tunes, ya msimo me mudo pa Dominicana con mi esposa Buscame en Face Book bajo Axel Hernandez Del Rio ok Good luck you have come to best site for 335d's enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
dominican
Private
Rep

Well, it's been a while since I updated this thread, might as well start the new year off right! The car has been perfect, and I still have to be careful about putting my foot in it, as the rear tires want to dance with that much power! I made a video of it, thought you guys might enjoy it.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
TN335d
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Nice exhaust close up at 19:13.
You can catch the slight smoke and of course the whistling!
Looks like she revs to 5K easily now.
Appreciate 0