E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Route 66 Warranty for 335d

05-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
shortair44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Route 66 Warranty for 335d

Hi guys, does anyone know if Route 66 covers DPF/SCR (basically the emissions equipment) on the 335d? I know in their "Easy Street" service agreement it states in their exclusions, "Exhaust or emission parts are not covered". I thought I read somewhere on these forums that they have additional "diesel and emission" add-on packages. Would they cover it? Does anyone have a 335d with a Route 66 warranty?

What warranty would people recommend with a 335d with 83,400 miles?

I just bought a 335d and am looking hard at Route 66. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Robert
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortair44
Hi guys, does anyone know if Route 66 covers DPF/SCR (basically the emissions equipment) on the 335d? I know in their "Easy Street" service agreement it states in their exclusions, "Exhaust or emission parts are not covered". I thought I read somewhere on these forums that they have additional "diesel and emission" add-on packages. Would they cover it? Does anyone have a 335d with a Route 66 warranty?

What warranty would people recommend with a 335d with 83,400 miles?

I just bought a 335d and am looking hard at Route 66. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Robert
The warranty I would recommend in your situation is called the "Alphabet Delete" warranty. It'll cost you around $3,000, give you better gas mileage and put a smile on your face.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
shortair44
Private
United_States
Rep

Lol. I thought about that too. The only thing I am really concerned about is if the fuel injectors go bad and it's not under warranty. Is there somewhere I can get those cleaned/reconditioned?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

from my experience with route 66 having to submit claims to them, they denied a thermostat assembly for a stuck open fault and also denied replacement of a valve cover for the PCV system that failed on a 328 (n51).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
shortair44
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks 335dlci. I am kind of torn because I have read some really good reviews on e90.com but most come from 335i owners and not 335d owners. According to the service agreement I can get a 4 year/48,000 mile extended warranty for $3,500; however, Route 66 does not cover

"Any normal maintenance item including tires, wheels, struts, shocks, brake shoes or pads, rotors or drums, belts, hoses, filters, fluids, lubricants, clutch, pressure plate or clutch release bearing, tune-up items. Exhaust or emission parts, sound reproduction components, lighting, wiring harness, telephone, clock, television, navigation equipment. Any body parts, interior parts, trim, glass, paint, air bag system, keyless entry/anti-theft."

However, I added the Enhanced Electronics Package which covers the Nav and iDrive system so that isn't an issue.

I don't know. I might keep shopping around for different extended warranties if anyone has any input. I'm just worried about the big items like fuel injectors, DDE, tranny, etc. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
cipolz
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed

Hi there
I was wondering if you ever found a good extended warranty for your 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortair44 View Post
Thanks 335dlci. I am kind of torn because I have read some really good reviews on e90.com but most come from 335i owners and not 335d owners. According to the service agreement I can get a 4 year/48,000 mile extended warranty for $3,500; however, Route 66 does not cover

"Any normal maintenance item including tires, wheels, struts, shocks, brake shoes or pads, rotors or drums, belts, hoses, filters, fluids, lubricants, clutch, pressure plate or clutch release bearing, tune-up items. Exhaust or emission parts, sound reproduction components, lighting, wiring harness, telephone, clock, television, navigation equipment. Any body parts, interior parts, trim, glass, paint, air bag system, keyless entry/anti-theft."

However, I added the Enhanced Electronics Package which covers the Nav and iDrive system so that isn't an issue.

I don't know. I might keep shopping around for different extended warranties if anyone has any input. I'm just worried about the big items like fuel injectors, DDE, tranny, etc. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
shortair44
Private
United_States
Rep

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I was PCS'ing back to the states (if you don't know what that means, its basically just a military move). Actually, no, I did not buy an extended warranty after all. My car has so far been a dream and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I am slowly saving up so if I do have issues (and if I do, I am pretty sure it will be from the emissions equipment), I will just go to BPC and get there Stage 2+ tune, DPF Delete, SCR Gut, EGR Block-off, Forge Boost Hose Upgrade, Swirl Flap Delete, and probably a CBU cleaning to top it all off (I have had this wish list for a long time now ). Lastly, I just want to say again - THIS CAR IS AMAZING - and I am so glad I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortair44 View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I was PCS'ing back to the states (if you don't know what that means, its basically just a military move). Actually, no, I did not buy an extended warranty after all. My car has so far been a dream and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I am slowly saving up so if I do have issues (and if I do, I am pretty sure it will be from the emissions equipment), I will just go to BPC and get there Stage 2+ tune, DPF Delete, SCR Gut, EGR Block-off, Forge Boost Hose Upgrade, Swirl Flap Delete, and probably a CBU cleaning to top it all off (I have had this wish list for a long time now ). Lastly, I just want to say again - THIS CAR IS AMAZING - and I am so glad I bought it.
Your wishlist is the exact same as mine. I also went shopping for a warranty, but nobody was willing to cover the emissions equipment so I decided to just save up over time and when things fail I'll slowly upgrade my car. If anything, I recommend installing an EGR block ASAP. You get a SES Light all the time, but your engine can breathe easier, and it'll cut down on carbon buildup and buy you some extra time. It's also an extremely cheap and easy mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Route 66 is a good warranty. A lot of your success on an extended warranty depends on your service advisor and mechanic justifying the repair.

The extended BMW powertrain warranty covers emissions equipment. You can buy it after your cars warranty expires so long as your under 60K miles. Its the only warranty besides gold and platinum that you can't buy after your warranty is up that covers emissions equipment.

On a different side BMW knows the reliability of the emissions components are poor, and bmw will good will them for some time. But the other common failures, Boost hose, vacuum lines, vibration damper, cbu, glow plugs, alternator, etc. will not be covered. For what its worth injector failures are fairly rare unless they get carboned up. Most folks experience injector failures after a carbon cleaning.

My best advice is save 2000-4000K a year to cover repairs and maintenance on these cars. That is what they typically need to keep them in good repair and maintained. Skip the extended warranty and your savings will cover repairs down the road.

Last edited by Thecastle; 12-04-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Route 66 is a good warranty. A lot of your success on an extended warranty depends on your service advisor and mechanic justifying the repair.

The extended BMW powertrain warranty covers emissions equipment. You can buy it after your cars warranty expires so long as your under 60K miles. Its the only warranty besides gold and platinum that you can't buy after your warranty is up that covers emissions equipment.

On a different side BMW knows the reliability of the emissions components are poor, and bmw will good will them for some time. But the other common failures, Boost hose, vacuum lines, vibration damper, cbu, glow plugs, alternator, etc. will not be covered. For what its worth injector failures are fairly rare unless they get carboned up. Most folks experience injector failures after a carbon cleaning.

My best advice is save 2000-4000K a year to cover repairs and maintenance on these cars. That is what they typically need to keep them in good repair and maintained. Skip the extended warranty and your savings will cover repairs down the road.
Since rte 66 only goes for 2k. It seems worth it by your math.
Appreciate 0