THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications What color are the xenon bulbs on a M235i?

05-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

What color are the xenon bulbs on a M235i?

Tried searching and I can't seem to find it. I'm looking to get a brighter/whiter light from my headlights, but I don't know what color the stock bulbs are. The set I'm looking at are 8,000K D1S bulbs. Would that be whiter?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Tried searching and I can't seem to find it. I'm looking to get a brighter/whiter light from my headlights, but I don't know what color the stock bulbs are. The set I'm looking at are 8,000K D1S bulbs. Would that be whiter?
8K is waaaaaay into blue territory. Rice city.

I'd estimate the 2 Series Xenons to be between 4,500 and 4,700K -- probably closer to 4,500. When your lights are on, look at the difference in color temp between the actual xenon beam and the angel eyes. The angel eyes are a little more blue -- slightly above 5K.

Color temperature has nothing to do with brightness, BTW. The proper measure of light brightness is Lumens -- Watts isn't even a reliable measure because of how it's been bastardized by shady marketing in the aftermarket. There's a crap-ton of misinformation out there regarding headlight effectiveness, replacements/upgrades, and the like.

Last edited by Viffermike; 05-19-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
8K is waaaaaay into blue territory. Rice city.

I'd estimate the 2 Series Xenons to be between 4,500 and 4,700K.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I definitely don't want it to be too blue. I'm looking for as close to white as possible. Yeah, I just meant "brighter" in terms of color, not lumens.

As an aside, I know that it's a colloquialism, but the term "rice" is offensive to me. Probably because I'm half Filipino and eat rice pretty much daily lol.

That said, I'll keep it cracker until I find something a bit warmer in color.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

5K is generally accepted as being white or close to it. As Viffermike says, 8K will be quite blue. Anything above that will start to have a violet shade.

At the same wattage, you'll actually start to lose lumens a bit once you hit the higher color temperatures.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619
5K is generally accepted as being white or close to it. As Viffermike says, 8K will be quite blue. Anything above that will start to have a violet shade.

At the same wattage, you'll actually start to lose lumens a bit once you hit the higher color temperatures.
Sweet, thanks!

Build thread
Appreciate 1