E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Any Arizona ABC deletes?

05-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
davethetenor
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Any Arizona ABC deletes?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am seeing some conflicting information regarding passing emissions testing with ABC deletes. I am in the Phoenix, AZ metro area, which does require testing, but my understanding is that it's an OBD-II test only (perhaps a cursory visual inspection)? The whole process takes like 5 minutes.

Is there anyone here who has been through the AZ test with coded-out EGR, DPF, and/or SCR deletes? I'd like to unleash this beast but I'm not super interested in swapping out components every two years just for emissions testing.

Also, is anyone aware of any good local shops for doing the exhaust system work? I'd rather not do the under-car stuff myself (I'm old and lazy).

Thanks in advance!
      05-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I'm I AZ but don't have the deletes. If you look at ADOT's site though you will see that they do an opacity test on diesels as well. So it is not just OBD that you should be concerned with. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Diesel

Diesel vehicles are tested for opacity (smoke density). The test uses an opacity meter, which is an instrument that measures the percentage of opacity of the exhaust. Light duty diesel vehicles and all Tucson area diesel vehicles are tested under load on a dynamometer. In metro Phoenix, heavy duty diesel vehicles are tested using a procedure called "snap acceleration".
for reference: http://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test

Last edited by Barmlot; 05-23-2016 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: source
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
davethetenor
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Thanks. I did just run into that info:

Quote:
Diesel vehicles are tested for opacity (smoke density). The test uses an opacity meter, which is an instrument that measures the percentage of opacity of the exhaust. Light duty diesel vehicles and all Tucson area diesel vehicles are tested under load on a dynamometer. In metro Phoenix, heavy duty diesel vehicles are tested using a procedure called "snap acceleration".
http://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test