E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Iaknowns little Helix that could

05-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Iaknowns little Helix that could

So after a week of fiddling and checking for boost leaks I finally got the intercooler set. The kit itself is top notch and worth every penny. I forgot to take pictures of the kit out of the box because I got a little ahead of myself but K335d got us covered on that haha. I'd like to thank Mr. Iaknown for his handy work and all the members who produce stuff for our niche cars you guys work hard and we appreciate it!

Initial impressions are this thing is pretty much twice the size of the OEM cooler and thats fine by me.

The install was straight forward trim the necessary front plastic to get it to slide in or be like me and hack away at it haha. Remove the crappy red boost hose which is caked in oil i guarantee it and remove the OEM connector on the charge pipe.

A message to those getting the kit DO be careful with that initial metal coupling Iaknown includes and make sure you get it seated all the way back against the turbo exit.

Basically on the turbo exit there is a angled edge make sure the back of your coupler gets as close as possible to the angled edge as humanly possible. Iaknown machined this fine piece extremely well and its super tight and once its in its kinda in.

The reason I say this is because being off by 1/4 of an inch on the couplers means your off about 1/4 of an inch on the connection between the intercooler and the hoses going from the turbo to the cooler and its a little tight to work with and poses more chance of a leak.

Aside from that you should be golden. I finally got everything nice and secured today and no boost and ran some 100mph runs someplace and all seems in order no oil leak(also means boost leak) and she runs like a dream.

I can feel the power change from the intercooler and it pairs well with the JBD you will need a tune to take full advantage of the cooler.

I am super happy and I know you guys said the MPGs will be going up but according to my foot it may be going down haha this is a worth upgrade especially if youre considering a tune or future upgrades its a fantastic supporting mod.

Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  82.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0287.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  87.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0288.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  81.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  61.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  58.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0296.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  160.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0297.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  107.3 KB
      05-25-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
k335d
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d

Nushibo thanks for posting photos of the install. Got carried away when i did mine and didn't take any.

Appreciate 0