European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Rocnic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Xpel due diligence

I am scheduled to receive my f80 early next spring. I plan on installing xpel ultimate. Not going overboard...just the front bumper and lower portion of the hood. I am particular when it comes to swirls and washing, so when my car arrives at the dealer, should I have them leave all the plastic on and bring it directly to the installer? Or have car detailed first then send it to have the xpel installed?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
idyfohu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Leave the plastic on...detail it yourself (or have a detailer do it) and decontaminate/prep for the Xpel, then have Xpel installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Next spring as in 2017? You sure are planning well in advance...

Anyhow, any reputable installer will know the proper way to prep before install. Should not really need much since the paint is new. Having it professionally detailed before install is wasting money and perhaps creating more work for the installer since the surface needs to be naked for a proper install. Detail after XPel is installed since you will want to have all residue from install removed.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

If the XPEL installer cannot prep before applying the film... walk away lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Don't let the dealership touch it. Keep the plastic on and take it straight to your detailer.

I
      06-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnica View Post
I am scheduled to receive my f80 early next spring. I plan on installing xpel ultimate. Not going overboard...just the front bumper and lower portion of the hood. I am particular when it comes to swirls and washing, so when my car arrives at the dealer, should I have them leave all the plastic on and bring it directly to the installer? Or have car detailed first then send it to have the xpel installed?
Congrats on the new F80! If you are not wanting swirls, I'd recommend at least a full front end of XPEL. If you do just the front portion of the hood, the area where there is film applied, will not have swirl marks due to the films self-healing properties.

Regarding the care/prep, regardless of what you choose, the installer will wash, clay and wipe the vehicle down where they are installing XPEL ULTIMATE before applying the paint protection film. This is required to make sure it is smooth and has a clean surface to bond to. If you have any questions, please let us know
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Congrats on the new F80! If you are not wanting swirls, I'd recommend at least a full front end of XPEL. If you do just the front portion of the hood, the area where there is film applied, will not have swirl marks due to the films self-healing properties.

Regarding the care/prep, regardless of what you choose, the installer will wash, clay and wipe the vehicle down where they are installing XPEL ULTIMATE before applying the paint protection film. This is required to make sure it is smooth and has a clean surface to bond to. If you have any questions, please let us know
Just out of curiosity, when clay barring it can often cause some light swirls in the paint work. If a car is polished etc prior to an install, then the installer washes, clays, wipes down and causes some light swirls in the paint, are these visible through the xpel film?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Just out of curiosity, when clay barring it can often cause some light swirls in the paint work. If a car is polished etc prior to an install, then the installer washes, clays, wipes down and causes some light swirls in the paint, are these visible through the xpel film?
Not at all, that's the great part of XPEL ULTIMATE. It actually masks swirl marks during the installation process. At our corporate install centers we don't do any sort of paint correction, just wash, clay and wipe down and then install XPEL. One of our installers in Atlanta, Detailed Designs Auto Spa made a youtube video showing how well it masks the swirl marks.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
SpeedandTechM
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36 M3s, e46 M3

Quote:

100% correct. Any certified Installer will do the prep work, but if paint correction is needed, there may be additional charges. Number 1 rule, leave the film on from factory, number 2 use a reputable shop that is certified for warranty purpose, number 3 enjoy the new car everyday and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not at all, that's the great part of XPEL ULTIMATE. It actually masks swirl marks during the installation process. At our corporate install centers we don't do any sort of paint correction, just wash, clay and wipe down and then install XPEL. One of our installers in Atlanta, Detailed Designs Auto Spa made a youtube video showing how well it masks the swirl marks.

Very cool thank you for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

Will xpel ultimate still perform self healing properties if it's coated after install with Modesta coating? Thinking on doing both on the hole car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergm3 View Post
Will xpel ultimate still perform self healing properties if it's coated after install with Modesta coating? Thinking on doing both on the hole car.
Ceramic coatings should not interfere with the self-healing properties of the ULTIMATE and STEALTH paint protection films
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Why go through the expense and have to look at the ugly clear bra the cars entire life? If you get a small ding or scratch on the front just get it touched up, would probably still be less expensive. I've had my M4 for almost a year now and would say the paint holds up very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Why go through the expense and have to look at the ugly clear bra the cars entire life? If you get a small ding or scratch on the front just get it touched up, would probably still be less expensive. I've had my M4 for almost a year now and would say the paint holds up very well.
You can't see a clear bra if installed properly...I agree on not wanting half a hood clear bra'd etc. but if the entire panel is covered you wouldn't even notice
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

Quote:
Ceramic coatings should not interfere with the self-healing properties of the ULTIMATE and STEALTH paint protection films
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Sorry to Threadjack. Can someone tell me how Expel Would affect the sheen, gloss, transparency or reflective qualities of BMW metallic finishes? I am wanting to do Shakih Orange and then wrapping it. I have no intentions on touching up paint for chips.

If it's affected, would I need to wax/polish after applying the wrap? SO is a chamillion kinda paint that changes in varying light. I'd hate to loose that due to a wrap. Need honest feedback

Thanks-Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Sorry to Threadjack. Can someone tell me how Expel Would affect the sheen, gloss, transparency or reflective qualities of BMW metallic finishes? I am wanting to do Shakih Orange and then wrapping it. I have no intentions on touching up paint for chips.

If it's affected, would I need to wax/polish after applying the wrap? SO is a chamillion kinda paint that changes in varying light. I'd hate to loose that due to a wrap. Need honest feedback

It doesn't affect the sheen/gloss or transparency, as the film is optically clear. All the metallic flake you see, will come through as normal. It nearly matches the factory clear coat. So much so that you can't typically tell between a covered surface vs a bare surface. The only thing you would see is that where there is film, there would be no swirl marks. (Thanks to the self-healing nature of XPEL ULTIMATE)

You CAN wax or using a coating/sealant on it, but just regular wash and dry is the regular maintenance. If you want you can apply a sealant or wax and that will do the same thing it does for regular clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post

Xpel will not change your paint appearance at all. Xpel naturally has a slight orange peel to it so from 3 feet away you cant even tell it is there.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #19
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tried finding examples of how clear the film is, these are some recent BMW's that have been at our shop in San Antonio

Full Front End XPEL ULTIMATE 428i

Full Wrap XPEL ULTIMATE M3

Full Front End XPEL ULTIMATE M3

Full Front End XPEL ULTIMATE M6

XPEL ULTIMATE M3

This was done at on our independent installers, Full Wrap XPEL ULTIMATE M3

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

An up close look at a M235i

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #21
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Quote:
It doesn't affect the sheen/gloss or transparency, as the film is optically clear. All the metallic flake you see, will come through as normal. It nearly matches the factory clear coat. So much so that you can't typically tell between a covered surface vs a bare surface. The only thing you would see is that where there is film, there would be no swirl marks. (Thanks to the self-healing nature of XPEL ULTIMATE)

You CAN wax or using a coating/sealant on it, but just regular wash and dry is the regular maintenance. If you want you can apply a sealant or wax and that will do the same thing it does for regular clear coat.
Awesome!!! This is what I wanted to know. And the pictures confirmed it. Perfect

Thank you

Last edited by TheIceStormOf06; 06-03-2016 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0