E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > ACC+ somewhere in trunk (E91, 2010)?

06-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Touring (E91, MY11)

ACC+ somewhere in trunk (E91, 2010)?

So, I've installed a Blackvue dashcam along with a Power Magic Pro.

Based on this YT video from Blackboxmycar, I decided to go all in and do this the right way and run the wires to the trunk and hardwire the PMP to the battery.

I have actually run the power cord from the dashcam behind roofliner, down behind pillars and right hand trunk trim to get as clean an install as possible.

Have set PMP to 12V/6 hours.

My problem is that once the PMP cutoff treshold is reached and the PMP powers off, it doesn't power on again even though voltage increases to well above the 12V)

I need to manually toggle the PMP off and on again, to make the dashcam come alive.

So to me, this means that once the PMP cuts off, it stops monitoring voltage and doesn't sense that voltage rises above cutoff level again.

I suppose the only way I can make it wake up again without my intervention is by using ACC+ wire even though the video states that this not needed. But I would really hate to undo all of the meticulous wiring to the trunk to tap into the fusebox to get ACC+ wired in.

So, is there somewhere to I can tap into this in the trunk? Have thought about running the wire across the trunk floor to get at the cigi lighter on the left side trim (adding a drop-in fuse of 5A in between).

Would this work or would it just confuse the hell out of the BMW power management and monitoring?

Thanks in advance for insights and suggestions

Last edited by Heylel; 06-02-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Running to the cig lighter should work. As long as the PMP and whatever you might plug into it doesn't exceed the amperage rating for the power outlet, it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:38 AM   #3
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Hey,

thank you for replying :-)

Re-reading what I wrote, I see that my description of what I want to do is a bit vague or loosely described. So I became unsure if your answer was about plugging the whole thing into the cigi lighter or just drawing the "power on" signal from the positive side of the cigi lighter.

What I suggested doing is this:

Would that be alright?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I understood it just fine . Yes that should work.

I was just saying if you hardwire in the ACC signal for the PMP to the back of the cig lighter, just be aware of the total combined power draw if you ever plug anything into that cig lighter in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Thanks, will give it a go one of the coming days :-)

Cheers,

T.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this car is more smart than power magic pro
cig ligher power switched off when ignition stopped
you need to get power from some device which is not powered down when ignition is stopped but powered down in some period later
good example of this is radio, telephone module, amplifier and telephone eject box in armrest