E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Tire gummy only on outer half.

06-10-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

Tire gummy only on outer half.

What does it mean when all 4 tires are gummy only on outer half after track session?
When I got m3 control arms put on, I also got m3 alignment.
Im running stock tire size on h&r sport and koni yellows.

Last edited by sunny; 06-10-2016 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

#1 reason would be drivers lack of track experience and the list goes from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Alignment specs???

For stock like alignment, it is normal to wear out the outer side of the front tires before anything else. But rear tires should wear pretty evenly.

What's your tire pressure?

Overdriving can also be an issue...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

first time out at California speedway, was following an instructor, I braked when he braked and got on the gas when he did and after a session I checked my tires and it's gummy only on the outer half on all 4(inside half was a little gummy but not as much as the outside half).

I checked tire pressure and it showed 40-41 psi hot.
I intentionally increased air pressure night before to 36 front and 38 rear cold cus continental dw that I got 3 days ago were a lot softer than pss I had 4 days ago.
by the way, I don't like continental dw for track. it's way too soft but it does ride nice on street.

I don't have alignment spec. but was told the car was given m3 spec. alignment.

inexperienced at track? probably yes but I was following an instructor and same result.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

No two cars are setup identically for you to expect identical tire wear following the instructor in the exact same line the instructor took which you most definitely did not.
Anyhow, here is the list:
-turning in to fast
-not taking the correct line
-trail braking
-tire type
-tire size
Although, tire pressure and alignment are a factor excessive outer wear on tires is due to lack of track seat time.
You instructor could have taken your car around the truck and will be quicker while easier on the tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

I would imagine that is too high of a hot pressure. try around 35 hot next time and see how it goes. But there are so many variables as listed above... You always have to mess with it. Even on the same tires as they wear out may need different pressure.
      07-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I would imagine that is too high of a hot pressure. try around 35 hot next time and see how it goes. But there are so many variables as listed above... You always have to mess with it. Even on the same tires as they wear out may need different pressure.
35psi for a sticky, track only R-Comp is fine. For a street tire like Conti DW is a recipe for disaster.

OP, for your tire pressure to only increase 3-5 psi on California Speedway, you're definitely UNDERDRIVING the car. The "M3" alignment is meaningless, since in stock form these cars are all expected to drive on the street, thus aligned to extend the life of the tire AND increase safety and comfort.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can say to you over the internet and keyboard that will make sense, especially if you're still doing lead/follow type exercises. The only advice I can and will give you, is keep going to the track, and ask people who are actually THERE with you to see if they can answer your questions better. Trying to guess why the outside half of your tire is "gummier" than the inside from the intarweb is like trying to guess the hair color of your unknown sexual partner while blind folded, with your hands tied behind your back, under the influence of valium.

While not in the same room and/or zip code.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0