E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track Virgin -A Few Questions

06-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Track Virgin -A Few Questions

So I really want to take my 08 335i to the track. I'm up on maintenance and would prefer to figure out what upgrades would help by actually driving it first.

I plan to join BMW CCA and we have a nice road/autox track near me - PittRace.

What do I need to know going into this?

Helmet recommendations?

I have seperate summer wheel/tires and my brakes are 9/32 all around. Recently bled too.

Any words of wisdom from the elders?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

All you need is MONEY and time.
keep reading this section and you will find everything you need to know.
On westcoast, speedventures.com holds many track events and you can find alot of information before you can track.
Have fun and dont let check engine light scare you.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

I'll jump in on the helmet issue. The most important thing of all is the fit. Brand is very much secondary.

It should be snug but not tight. It should have little or no movement relative to your head when you grab the chin bar and tilt it side to side and push it up and down. Do not just buy something online. Find a store, go there, and try on several that are in your price range. Wear each one for at least 5, preferably 10 minutes, to see if there are any pressure points. A reputable race shop should have someone there that can help you. If you get good service and want to show some love to the shop, go ahead and buy it there, otherwise take note of what you liked and search online for the best price.

Helmets are considered good for 10 years or until it takes a hit, whichever comes first. Event organizers require helmets with an SA rating. The newest SA2015 helmets are coming out but are hard to find. Get one if you can and you should be able to use it until 2025. If you get an SA2010 (they release new ones every 5 years) you'll only get 5 years out of it.

Anything with an SA rating meets certain minimum protection requirements but in my experience once you get below the $500 range the material quality starts to go down and day-long comfort can become an issue.

Many organizations have helmet rental programs. Given the SA2015 shortage and the fact that you're just starting out you should probably rent a helmet the first few times to make sure you're going to stay with this before dropping $500 plus on a helmet.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

For a day at the track:
Clean out all the stuff from your car, floor mats, EZ-Pass, loose change,etc. Nothing in the car or the trunk when out on the track. Bring a big bin for the stuff you must bring with you, to stash stuff when out on the track. Fairly watertight if it rains. Security generally not a problem. Cooler for water and sports drink, snacks. You will sweat alot!
Folding chair to decompress after that first run.

Helmet: Definitely follow ^^ advice on buying one that fits properly. I'm a little leery of the helmet rentals; size availabilty, lots of strange sweat in there etc. $500 will get you a pretty nice helmet you will use for years to come, but I did fine with a $200 entry level helmet. Just make sure it fits.

Rest up and have fun!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
I'll jump in on the helmet issue. The most important thing of all is the fit. Brand is very much secondary.

It should be snug but not tight. It should have little or no movement relative to your head when you grab the chin bar and tilt it side to side and push it up and down. Do not just buy something online. Find a store, go there, and try on several that are in your price range. Wear each one for at least 5, preferably 10 minutes, to see if there are any pressure points. A reputable race shop should have someone there that can help you. If you get good service and want to show some love to the shop, go ahead and buy it there, otherwise take note of what you liked and search online for the best price.

Helmets are considered good for 10 years or until it takes a hit, whichever comes first. Event organizers require helmets with an SA rating. The newest SA2015 helmets are coming out but are hard to find. Get one if you can and you should be able to use it until 2025. If you get an SA2010 (they release new ones every 5 years) you'll only get 5 years out of it.

Anything with an SA rating meets certain minimum protection requirements but in my experience once you get below the $500 range the material quality starts to go down and day-long comfort can become an issue.

Many organizations have helmet rental programs. Given the SA2015 shortage and the fact that you're just starting out you should probably rent a helmet the first few times to make sure you're going to stay with this before dropping $500 plus on a helmet.
Thanks so much for the details! Any brands you recommend? Would I be able to get one at a motorcycle shop?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
Thanks so much for the details! Any brands you recommend? Would I be able to get one at a motorcycle shop?
You need SA rated helmet, not M rated helmet which are for motorcycle. You will not be able to get a SA helmet in a bike store. As long as it is up to date with the SA rating (SA2010 or SA2015), it will be good enough for you. More expensive helmets are expensive mostly for their fit and finish, comfort, and lightness, but you will only be wearing yours for 1/2 hour max in a street car, not 2-4 hours like the pros while pulling multiple Gs around the corners and braking with full cage, aero, and slick tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

HJC AR-10 II SA2010
Amazing helmet for the price! I got one on clearance on EBAY for way less than amazon pricing.

I tried a g-force eliminator helmet before the HJC and there is no comparison. The only benefit was that it was cheaper. The HJC looks better, is less bulky, is lighter, is more comfortable, and has more functionality. The g-force also ran large.

My advice would be to get a halfway decent helmet. Even if you use it once they make for a nice bookshelf piece
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Pyrotech is also good and affordable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PYROTECH-SA2...XBrbFg&vxp=mtr
Racequip is cheap but don't know anyone using it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACEQUIP-NEW...RXHqwv&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Check out Motorsportreg look for HPDE with NNJR PCA excellent instructor core and very friendly with non Porsche cars. I had a few Porsche in my recent past and did a bunch of events with them. Not bashing anyone else I just do not have any personal experience with any other group.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

I am fairly new to HPDE's with three under my belt so far. With respect to helmets, please remember an open face helmet is always an option, and is preferred if you have an instructor in the car with an intercom system.

Because buying a helmet online can be tricky from a fitment standpoint, I recommend trying on a few at a motorcycle shop to see what you like and to help minimize sizing and fitment issues.

Other than that, have fun and keep an eye on your oil temperature.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

+1 on PCA club. Their events are pretty much always cheaper than BMWCCA.

I usually pick the day/track I want by looking at the motorsports reg calendar and then worry about what club i'll be running with after lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
HJC AR-10 II SA2010
Amazing helmet for the price! I got one on clearance on EBAY for way less than amazon pricing.

I tried a g-force eliminator helmet before the HJC and there is no comparison. The only benefit was that it was cheaper. The HJC looks better, is less bulky, is lighter, is more comfortable, and has more functionality. The g-force also ran large.

My advice would be to get a halfway decent helmet. Even if you use it once they make for a nice bookshelf piece
I told my wife, I was going to hang it from my bedpost!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

+1 for Pyrotech helmets.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

make sure to check with your event organizer if you plan to get an open face or M rated helmet. I know BMWCCA allows an open face and M rating, but PCA requires full face SA. Can't go wrong with a full face SA, but last weekend was so hot I switched to an open face. Just make sure you know the rules.