E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > First track day... nothing broke!

06-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

First track day... nothing broke!

I had my first track day last Wednesday at Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL. I have been on track before but never for a full on session of driving and never with an instructor so I was a bit nervous going into this.

My first concern was my car, 2007 335i sedan sport pkg. For power upgrades I have a 7" VRSF IC, VRSF DP's, BMS DCI and MHD stage 2 tune. The suspension is stock with 70k miles on it. Tires are Michelin PSS 245/40R18 Front 265/35R18 Rear. For brakes I am running OE rotors with Stoptech pads and ATE super 200 fluid that was flushed the night before. Like everyone else I was scared to death that my oil was going to overheat and throw the car into limp mode but much to my surprise I never exceeded 260F~ while on track! The factory oil cooler held up a lot better than I thought it would! The temps at the track started in the 70's and held in the mid 80's through the afternoon. My brakes performed a lot better than I thought as well. I had some fade but as my sessions progressed and I got better with my braking I noticed that the brakes were lasting longer. Overall my car performed better than I could have imagined!

As far as my driving, it started out pretty bad lol. I was trying to heel/toe while learning lines and braking points and it wasn't very smooth at all. I simplified and just focused on lines and braking points for sessions 2 & 3 then in sessions 4 & 5 I threw in my heel/toe. By session 4/5 I was getting myself into passing positions and my instructor was pushing me to get the car faster and faster! It was an eye opening experience, something that no amount of Gran Turismo could have prepared me for lol.

Overall, I absolutely loved it and I am hooked! I can't wait to get back out there! The staff at Blackhawk Farms were amazing and made everyone feel very comfortable, my instructor was great and gave instruction while correcting my mistakes without barking orders.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3525.00
      06-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbimmer1 View Post
I had my first track day last Wednesday at Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL. I have been on track before but never for a full on session of driving and never with an instructor so I was a bit nervous going into this.

My first concern was my car, 2007 335i sedan sport pkg. For power upgrades I have a 7" VRSF IC, VRSF DP's, BMS DCI and MHD stage 2 tune. The suspension is stock with 70k miles on it. Tires are Michelin PSS 245/40R18 Front 265/35R18 Rear. For brakes I am running OE rotors with Stoptech pads and ATE super 200 fluid that was flushed the night before. Like everyone else I was scared to death that my oil was going to overheat and throw the car into limp mode but much to my surprise I never exceeded 260F~ while on track! The factory oil cooler held up a lot better than I thought it would! The temps at the track started in the 70's and held in the mid 80's through the afternoon. My brakes performed a lot better than I thought as well. I had some fade but as my sessions progressed and I got better with my braking I noticed that the brakes were lasting longer. Overall my car performed better than I could have imagined!

As far as my driving, it started out pretty bad lol. I was trying to heel/toe while learning lines and braking points and it wasn't very smooth at all. I simplified and just focused on lines and braking points for sessions 2 & 3 then in sessions 4 & 5 I threw in my heel/toe. By session 4/5 I was getting myself into passing positions and my instructor was pushing me to get the car faster and faster! It was an eye opening experience, something that no amount of Gran Turismo could have prepared me for lol.

Overall, I absolutely loved it and I am hooked! I can't wait to get back out there! The staff at Blackhawk Farms were amazing and made everyone feel very comfortable, my instructor was great and gave instruction while correcting my mistakes without barking orders.

Seriously addicting, ain't it?

Great that you planned for it and took it easy and rationally through the day, makes it a lot easier when you don't have to try and concentrate on everything at once, kinda ruins the whole experience. Have you planned your next trackday/DE yet?
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:

Awesome! I was at Putnam the weekend before and my instructor was headed up to Blackhawk. Probably for the same event.
      06-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

Seriously addicting, ain't it?

Great that you planned for it and took it easy and rationally through the day, makes it a lot easier when you don't have to try and concentrate on everything at once, kinda ruins the whole experience. Have you planned your next trackday/DE yet?
I'm looking at an event with BMWCCA on August 1st at Blackhawk Farms or I may hold out and go to Oktoberfast at Road America and do a day up there. The only thing stopping me from committing to Oktoberfast is my wedding anniversary... I just need to convince my wife that a day at the track is definitely a celebration of our love for each other!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
I'm looking at an event with BMWCCA on August 1st at Blackhawk Farms or I may hold out and go to Oktoberfast at Road America and do a day up there. The only thing stopping me from committing to Oktoberfast is my wedding anniversary... I just need to convince my wife that a day at the track is definitely a celebration of our love for each other!
ACC is a lot better than Blackhawk and you can do half days SCCA
Also check out Northwoods Shelby and GPS Track Time for Wisc. and IL events.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
ACC is a lot better than Blackhawk and you can do half days SCCA
Also check out Northwoods Shelby and GPS Track Time for Wisc. and IL events.
Do you have to be a member to run at ACC? GPS track time is on my list as they're going to run at RA for a pretty decent price and I already have a friend signed up with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Do you have to be a member to run at ACC? GPS track time is on my list as they're going to run at RA for a pretty decent price and I already have a friend signed up with them.
Most of us can afford ACC membership that is why you run with clubs that rent the track from ACC.
Northwoods Shelby is a club so you need membership yes but is $20 per year so similar.
GPS at RA? I don't think so
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Most of us can afford ACC membership that is why you run with clubs that rent the track from ACC.
Northwoods Shelby is a club so you need membership yes but is $20 per year so similar.
GPS at RA? I don't think so
My mistake, that was BHF they're running.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finally got some of the pictures back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

What an awesome experience. I look forward to my first track day when I return to the states in December. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you about not breaking anything (doubtful) lol.
Appreciate 0