E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dead Logic 7 Amp with Dynavin HU

07-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i M-Sport

Dead Logic 7 Amp with Dynavin HU

Hey all - hopefully you guys can help me sort this out:

I installed a Dynavin N6 Navigation system in my 335 (with Top HiFi/Logic 7) last year and all was well until a few weeks ago when all of a sudden there was no sound - no chimes, no iPod, no radio - NOTHING!!! So I contacted Jeff the US Dynavin distributor (Great guy and awesome Vendor here) and we troubleshooted the issue - he even sent me another MOST box to ensure that that was not the issue. Well it appears that the OEM amp took a dump. So I really did not want to replace the OEM Amp with another OEM Amp so I was thinking, in my previous E90 I had bought a JL Audio XD600/6 amp and Techinc PnP Harness (which I still had in the garage sitting on a shelf) however that was for the HiFi so it will not work with this application. I have tried to contact Technic with no luck and I have done the "SEARCH" thing on this board with no resolution but I need to know what my options are and I had a few questions that need to be answered before I can decide how to proceed. I would like to do this without having to break the bank considering that I already have an aftermarket headunit and JL Amp - so essentially I should be able to just get a wiring harness and call it a day but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

I'm pretty sure that the Dynavin has RCA outputs which I should be able to plug into the XD600/6 Amp but how do I get around the MOST connection???
Do I even need the MOST connection now that I have an aftermarket Headunit and will be replacing the OEM amp?
How would I wire the 6 channel JL Amp to all the speakers??? I think there are 13 speakers in the Top Hifi so would I have to buy another amp to power all speakers?
Are there other PnP solutions so that I don’t have to cut the OEM Speaker wiring harness??? Or will I have to cut it all up???

Your help and time is greatly appreciated.
Grey 08 E92 335xi:20% Tint, Dynavin N6 Nav, Golf Tee Mod, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, AFE CAI -GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Front doors and floors first then your choice

Front doors and floors first then your choice for the other pair.
You might want to upgrade those speaker to.
without a processor I don't know what you would do
with the center dash speaker.
The Dynavin guy would also know what to do I think.
You would have to run rca's to the trunk then you could feed
the speakers through the factory harness if you can find a connector
to break out the signals.(to avoid cutting or tapping)
If you wanted to upgrade I would be looking at the new Helix
that runs 8 channels at 75 watts.

Technic sells a sub harness that is for the L7 but it might serve as the basis for a breakout harness for signals .

Last edited by ctuna; 07-06-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Front doors and floors first then your choice for the other pair.
You might want to upgrade those speaker to.
without a processor I don't know what you would do
with the center dash speaker.
The Dynavin guy would also know what to do I think.
You would have to run rca's to the trunk then you could feed
the speakers through the factory harness if you can find a connector
to break out the signals.(to avoid cutting or tapping)
If you wanted to upgrade I would be looking at the new Helix
that runs 8 channels at 75 watts.

Technic sells a sub harness that is for the L7 but it might serve as the basis for a breakout harness for signals .
THANK YOU for your reply CTuna - I was hoping you would reply
Great ideas to keep in mind.

Not really too concerned with the center dash speaker and pretty sure I could do without it. I guess my main concern is with the MOST Fiber Optics. If I run the Dynavin with RCA's to the trunk to feed the JL Amp - do I just leave that unterminated? wouldn't it freak out?

Been trying to get ahold of Technic for one of his harnesses as I don't want to cut into the OEM wires but he hasn't replied back. I keep telling myself I don't want to cut the OEM wires but I just might have to.

I really don't want to spend any more money than I have to especially since I already have that JL Amp that has less than a year of use from my last install and it sounded Awesome.
Grey 08 E92 335xi:20% Tint, Dynavin N6 Nav, Golf Tee Mod, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, AFE CAI -GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What wires are you thinking of cutting? (You shouldnt need to)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
jeffb335
Rep

Yeah, just leave the center channel out of the mix. You wont use the MOST cables at all, just disconnect them. Run RCAs to the amp. Done with that part.

For the speaker connections either figure out if Technic can help or hardwire it. As I mentioned in our emails....i KNOW there is/was a harness out there that will work as I had one in my own car.....my setup is a dynavin, connected to my MS-8/AMP via RCAs, then the MS8 and amp connected to the speaker via a plug....mine came from musicar northwest and I assumed it was some version of Technics harness. The only possible issue is I did this more than 5 years ago....so Im assuming the harness should still be available....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yeah, just leave the center channel out of the mix. You wont use the MOST cables at all, just disconnect them. Run RCAs to the amp. Done with that part.

For the speaker connections either figure out if Technic can help or hardwire it. As I mentioned in our emails....i KNOW there is/was a harness out there that will work as I had one in my own car.....my setup is a dynavin, connected to my MS-8/AMP via RCAs, then the MS8 and amp connected to the speaker via a plug....mine came from musicar northwest and I assumed it was some version of Technics harness. The only possible issue is I did this more than 5 years ago....so Im assuming the harness should still be available....
Jeff,

I don't know why I didn't contact you first on this!!!! You come through once again brother. Thank You so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
prican_2000
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Wires that need cutting are the Speaker wires that go back out into the car (Speakers) from the OEM Amp which will now be replaced by the JL Amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican_2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Wires that need cutting are the Speaker wires that go back out into the car (Speakers) from the OEM Amp which will now be replaced by the JL Amp.
Ok thats about the only one that would need cutting. You could also build a harness if you could find the mating connection.
Appreciate 0