E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed the BMS intake

03-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Just installed the BMS intake

Since Im on a kick of trying different things as long as they arent expensive, I figure why not. I went from the ITG filter to the BMC filter to now the BMS intake. I think I have something for companies that use acronyms.

Regardless, the install was easy. I just have a couple complaints however. First off, you get what you pay for. Obviously this is just a filter with a couple adapters, theres no bullshit. It is what it is and you cant, by any means, assume a lot of R&D went into it. Not for the price that its at. That being said, I would have expected a bit higher level on the manufacturing process. What Im talking about is the two included pipe adapters that fit the filter to the intake hoses. Clearly, the intake hoses are a larger diameter than the included metal pipes. Also, these intake hoses are of a harder plastic, not pliable rubber, thus making a seal on these smaller metal pipes something that Ill have to keep an eye on as I drive. I have a fear I might have to take it apart and put some thickening tape over the ends of the metal pipes to create a better fit and seal.

I havent driven it but I started it and revved it a few times. First thing I noticed was a "Thhmpsh" that takes place when the pedal is pushed down. Immediately an identifiable open air intake sound. Then I revved it higher and when letting off you can hear the DV's more too(Could be cus I have the Forge DV's also). Obviously while not under load Im not going to hear the turbos, have to report back on that later.

Im going to keep an eye on my boost gauge and see if theres been any changes during normal and spirited driving.

The following pictures are the intake installed(which youve seen before, nothing really new here) and I took a shot of the OEM intake with the BMC filter in it. Notice how tight it is between the bottom of the filter and the inside of the box. That being said, the OEM filter comes down even lower(I was too lazy to take a pic of that).

So enjoy.

07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Take a test drive and let us know what you think.

As always, thanks for the write-up!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
You state that BMS probably did not do a whole lot of R&D into this product of theirs, yet you do a review of the product without driving it, without dyno'ing it, without driving it under load.

I'm glad that you are letting others know of some of the observations that you have with the product, but I'd like to hear the reviews about the product after it has been used.

True that there are probably some design issues with this version 1 product, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, as others did with the other BMS products in the past. However, it is a custom filter made to BMS' specifications. I'm sure those specifications had to come from extensive testing instead of trial and error.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
You state that BMS probably did not do a whole lot of R&D into this product of theirs, yet you do a review of the product without driving it, without dyno'ing it, without driving it under load.

I'm glad that you are letting others know of some of the observations that you have with the product, but I'd like to hear the reviews about the product after it has been used.

True that there are probably some design issues with this version 1 product, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, as others did with the other BMS products in the past. However, it is a custom filter made to BMS' specifications. I'm sure those specifications had to come from extensive testing instead of trial and error.
He isnt saying anything negative about the way to product works he is just unhappy with the fit and finish. That is all he is reviewing right now.

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
He isnt saying anything negative about the way to product works he is just unhappy with the fit and finish. That is all he is reviewing right now.
Exactly. Thank you for clarifying.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
And if a product does not fit properly, its a sign of a design deficiency. Now that does not mean it wont be corrected, or that it does not make power. Just that the OP adequately supported his statement.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Ok, just went on a little drive.

I cant say if theres any more power gained. I didnt really hit it through all the gears, I was on streets with rush hour traffic. Seemed to pull just the same as before.

However, I will say theres definitely more noise under the hood now. When the turbos start spooling, you definitely hear them, and so does anyone else around you with their windows down. The sound is addictive.

FWIW, the price is just a bit more than one of the aftermarket panel filters. If the connections show that they are sealing properly and not leaking, then Ill keep it on. I think for the sound alone its worth the price and as long as Im not losing power, Im happy.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Hyper, I also installed the filter today. Now I have only made 4 pulls on it, so my review is worth nothing at this point. I will have a full write-up in a couple of days. With respect to the install here are just a quick couple of pointers from looking at your install...

It appears you have the filter displaced toward the firewall a whole lot. When I installed the filter, I lifted up on the diverter valves to allow the intake piping to enter the stock intake hose locations much better. It appears the intake piping on the location away from the firewall is not inserted enough into the stock hose location. I have mine inserted at least 1/2" or more into the stock hose location. Since your intake piping is not inserted far into the stock hose, it appears there is bend where the intake piping ends. I had that issue at first. Again, when I lifted up on the diverter valves and inserted the piping farther into the stock intake plastic piping (toward the nose of the car)this made for a much cleaner install.

Anyway, I hope this is of use to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
denlin68
台妹爱我
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 Evolution X

I just finished installing my BMS Filter. The whole process took me 1 hour.

My Test Drive: pull out of the driveway, put into first gear and throttled 80%. INSTANT POWER LOST ! i was like WTF Switch to second gear, still no pull !! started stepping on brake to slow down. After I stopped the car. MY BRAKES STOPPED FUNCTIONING ! I literally sat on the side of the street and was like oh man i fucked something up. Then I realized I never put the HOSE with the blue oring back in ! so after i pop the hose back in and turned on my engine. The car was back to normal. You can definitely hear the turbo spinning up its abit high pitch, it is not loud, you can only hear it well if your windows are down.
2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X Current
2013 BMWX1 xDrive28i Current
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
CarbonE39m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ 08' 528i

lol your crazy
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Hyper, I also installed the filter today. Now I have only made 4 pulls on it, so my review is worth nothing at this point. I will have a full write-up in a couple of days. With respect to the install here are just a quick couple of pointers from looking at your install...

It appears you have the filter displaced toward the firewall a whole lot. When I installed the filter, I lifted up on the diverter valves to allow the intake piping to enter the stock intake hose locations much better. It appears the intake piping on the location away from the firewall is not inserted enough into the stock hose location. I have mine inserted at least 1/2" or more into the stock hose location. Since your intake piping is not inserted far into the stock hose, it appears there is bend where the intake piping ends. I had that issue at first. Again, when I lifted up on the diverter valves and inserted the piping farther into the stock intake plastic piping (toward the nose of the car)this made for a much cleaner install.

Anyway, I hope this is of use to you.
Yeah, I see what youre saying. However, I fenagled the piping as much as I could. Unfortunately its IN as far as it can go in the front intake pipe. If its anymore bent, its pressing against the metal next to the engine and not fitting into the rear intake pipe.

Did you notice the difference in diameters though?

Oh, and if your radio is off, you can definitely hear it with the windows up.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
So both turbo inlets draw air from opposite sides of a single filter?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
So both turbo inlets draw air from opposite sides of a single filter?
There is a divider in the middle...
      03-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
well then that brings another question. How thick is the divider? trying to calculate surface area.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

The surface area of the BMS filter is around 110 square inches, the drop in are around 85 square inches....
      03-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
There is a divider in the middle...
I misspoke....

"This setup provides similar flow to the dual cone setup in bench testing, since both sides equalize its the equivalent to a divider at the mid point"

From here: (just information for everyone, not SPAM)

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656
      03-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #17
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

wouldnt this set up and air filter placement let the car take in alot of hot air from the engine bay? and isnt cold air better for the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian010 View Post
wouldnt this set up and air filter placement let the car take in alot of hot air from the engine bay? and isnt cold air better for the car?
Please look around for discussion on this. It has been had over and over....
      03-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #19
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
and over .
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #20
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
and over .
      03-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #21
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
The surface area of the BMS filter is around 110 square inches, the drop in are around 85 square inches....
Something tells me some magic went into that calculation, that filter has a much smaller diameter and is no more than an inch longer than the filters I and others had and lacks the extra area from the inverted section.

Or are you referring to the stock airbox filters, or maybe one out of two cone filters?
      03-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Something tells me some magic went into that calculation, that filter has a much smaller diameter and is no more than an inch longer than the filters I and others had and lacks the extra area from the inverted section.

Or are you referring to the stock airbox filters, or maybe one out of two cone filters?
Re-Read what I wrote....

Quote: