E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can I buy a louder alarm than the one that came with my retrofit kit?

08-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
supercharger
Rep
Drives: 2019 328i

Can I buy a louder alarm than the one that came with my retrofit kit?

I own a 2009 BMW 328i (E90). I installed an alarm system retrofit kit. Since the car was pre-wired for the alarm system, I bought the kit to complete the alarm system. Everything seems to be working however the alarm itself is not loud enough compared to 328i's that have factory installed alarms. Does anyone know where I can buy a louder alarm horn? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

There are plenty of places that sell louder sirens. The issue will be the electrical connections. The OEM one is integrated with the tilt sensor. For an aftermarket siren to work, you'll need to figure out how to power it. You may need a system of relays, assuming that you can find a siren trigger. You'll have to look up the wiring for the OEM siren and go from there. And you won't be able to remove the OEM siren, your best option would be to add another, if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:41 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Couple things here:

1st off, just because your car was pre-wired, & you installed all the mechanical parts (I assume) doesn't mean the alarm is fully functional. The basic features will function, but some of the other features will not be functional until you code your car for the alarm.

This will tell the car (and various modules) that the alarm is installed. This can be done either @ dealer, Indy, or by yourself if you have the coding software/cable & know how to use it...

-Add the value for the VO(vehicle options)
"+K302"
-adding this option would give you access to the DWAI and DWAS modules (and set alarm to default BMW values)

The following lines of code may or may not also need to be set:

-DWAI module:
LAUTSTAERKE
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
ALARM_OPT_FERNLICHT
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF_KLAPPE
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
PANIK_ALARM
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
QUIT_AKUST_ENTSCH
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
DEF_QUIT_AKUST_ENTSCH
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
DEF_QUIT_OPT_ENTSCH
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
DEF_QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF_KL
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
ANFRAGE_FENSTERPOSITIONEN
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
PIAU_AKUST_ENTSCH
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
PIAU_AKUST_SCHAERF_KLAPPE
nicht_aktiv > aktiv
SIGNAL_HK
nicht_aktiv > aktiv

-CAS: (panic alarm)
SONDERTASTE_PANIKALARM
nicht_aktiv > panikalarm
MOTORHAUBENKONTAKT (hood switch)
nicht_aktiv > aktiv

-CAPPL: (change if equipped with idrive) It gives you the option to enable or disable the chirp
ACOUSTIC:
fkt_gesperrt > fkt_frei
C941C_QUITT_AKUST_KLAPPE
fkt_gesperrt > fkt_frei
K9416_QUITT_AKUST_ENTSCH
fkt_gesperrt > fkt_frei
C9413_QUITT_AKUST_SCHAERF
fkt_gesperrt > fkt_frei

Once coding the alarm it will have the factory BMW default alarm values - the volume may be OK at this point, but if not follow below

Once the alarm is coded (and actually while at the same time as you are coding it in) you can adjust the volume/level of the chirp. During coding specifically:

-DWAS module: (change if chirp is too quiet)
BUZZER_HIGH_LEVEL
wert_06 > wert_04
wert_07 > wert_05
wert_08

If this all sounds Greek to you then you either need to do a lot of reading in the coding section of the forum, or have someone else do it for you
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
supercharger
Rep
Drives: 2019 328i

1QuikW56:

Thank you very much for your help. I bought the alarm retrofit kit from ECS Tuning and I had my BMW tech install the hardware and code my 328i per your instructions. Afterwards I had my tech perform some tests. The hood sensor works. The tilt sensor works. The alarm beeps when I unlock / lock the doors and the clown nose LED blinks when the car is locked. The ultrasonic sensor in the interior (roof) sounds when I lower the windows, lock the car and wave my hand in front of the sensor. I am a little disappointed that the interior alarm sensor is not as sensitive as I expected it to be. I was under the impression that the alarm would trigger when it senses the slightest movement inside the car. That is, if someone were to place his hand into the window and attempt to take my cell phone from the front seat. In that case - the interior sensor does not trip the alarm! I'm not going to buy a louder alarm. Patents comments convinced me not to do it. I think my newly installed alarm system is working. Will the alarm sound if there are any other events that I have not mentioned above? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Adding an extra siren is easy. Find the wire that triggers the siren, usually a + positive. Spice that to a relay. Then run + to the relay. Hook a ground to the relay. Finally, hook the last pole to the +of the new siren. You could even do air horns. Just splice a flasher in the +to the air horn. 30 min tops.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Get something 130 dB or stronger.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

The interior motion sensor isn't super sensitive. You have to move around or wave a little bit. Also, keep in mind the details of how it works. When you lock the car with the remote, it calibrates itself for maybe 30 seconds or so. During that time it is mapping the interior of your car. Also, if you press the lock button on the remote twice, it disables the interior motion sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

You don't want it overly sensitive. To many false alarms.
Appreciate 0