E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > aftermarket amp keeps blowing fuses

08-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
aftermarket amp keeps blowing fuses

I've searched the interwebs and I've come to the conclusion that my aftermarket amp is fried.

I've plugged everything in previously and it worked perfect for a year. I took it out to replace the rear strut and put it back in today and it's blowing fuses.

The fuse blows immediately after closing the power circuit to the battery; that is, I connect the + and - power cables of the amp to the battery.

Red wire is the positive power cable connected to the amp's and the battery's positive terminal. The red wire also has another bigger inline fuse in the middle. Black wire is negative to both negatives.

The fuse that is blowing is the one on the amp; 30A 32v.

Anyone have ideas? Or am I in need of another amp? Or can I disassemble this amp and solder something to make it work again? Or maybe I'm an idiot and wired it backwards.
Attached Images

08-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Seems kind of strange the Red is suppose to be hot that means positive
and the fuse should be on that side according to convention. And its on the red wire which is suppose
to be hot or positive.
But you have that reversed on your amp connection to so it shouldn't
cause and electrical problem you have it reversed at the amp to(kind of hard to read the amp terminals on that
picture)
Are you sure you have a good ground to the chassis if you are not
going directly to the battery. Also are you sure you choose the right
size fuse for your amp.
I would measure ground to the amp and hot side for low resistance.
If it worked for a year why would you suspect the wiring.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-27-2016 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

What is strange about red being positive and black being negative ground? That is basic standard on everything electrical since forever.
He has black wire going directly to negative terminal on the battery, he's not going to a grounding point on the chassis.
I don't have much for new ideas other than triple-check you have the right size fuse.
Make sure you don't have any stray strands from your stranded wires at the terminals on the amp shorting to the wrong side.
And maybe perhaps try going to ground on the chassis instead of negative on the battery.
Take a volt ohm meter to your battery and test the voltage and amp draw.
Take a different power source (a different good battery not hooked up to anything) and hook it up to your amp and see if that blows the fuse.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

Oh, I see maybe what ctuna was saying. Are you sure Red is going to positive terminal on the battery and not the negative terminal? Just looking at your pictures there.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Everything on top of the battery distribution block

Everything on top of the battery distribution block is positive
as far as I know. Its just one block of fusible links connected to
the positive terminal on the battery .
Don't know if the OP's is any different mine is colored red
I don't see how it could be any different as far as the connection to the positive terminal.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
turns out I am only an idiot. Amp is fine. I just wired the black and red to the opposite battery terminals. Left = Positive, Right = Negative. Thanks everyone.