E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using a USB SSD instead of a USB Thumb Drive

09-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Using a USB SSD instead of a USB Thumb Drive

Hey guys,

Just wanted to point out in case it's not obvious to a lot of people why I switched from and SD card to a solid state hard drive for the music in my BMW.

It all has to do with speed. I've noticed quite often with a 32GB SD card / thumb drive, that the unit would just hang for 1,2-10 seconds when switching tracks. I often use random play, not sure if that matters. There's no physical seek time but maybe there's a performance hit in the indexing,

Anyway, I switched to a 60GB SSD and I haven't run into this performance issue yet. It seems pretty smooth. I think album art loads a bit faster too but not conclusive on that.

So the delay in switching tracks is fixed. I want to point out that the delay in loading track info on track switch still takes a second or two. I doubt the bottle neck is in the transfer of data from the drive but likely due to the way it reads or displays MP3 tags.

My music collection is 90GB total. 128GB SSDs are very affordable these days. A good 128GB SD card or even 64GB card costs as much or more than an equal sized SSD. So my point is the better choice for performance is also the better choice for price. USB SSD enclosures are cheap as well.

I just thought I'd bring this up because I did this yesterday, I'm very happy with the results, and I mostly hear people talk about using thumb drives, maybe not realizing the performance hit.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

Your lag was probably from random play. I typically listen to live recordings and there's just a fraction of a second skip between tracks when played in order
Appreciate 0