BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Creaking Steering, clunking diff - manual

10-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

Creaking Steering, clunking diff - manual

I have had an issue for the past five weeks, where turning the steering wheel any direction makes a loud creaking noise from the front left shock tower. I originally thought it was the steering boot rubbing, or something of that nature, but we pinpointed to the coilover assembly.

Also, as time goes on, I am starting to experience a significant differential or transmission clunking sound when letting go of the throttle in traffic. My E46 m3 with SMG transmission used to sound like this, but I only have 6,000 miles on this M2.

Curious to hear if anyone else has these issues?
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
I have had an issue for the past five weeks, where turning the steering wheel any direction makes a loud creaking noise from the front left shock tower. I originally thought it was the steering boot rubbing, or something of that nature, but we pinpointed to the coilover assembly.

Also, as time goes on, I am starting to experience a significant differential or transmission clunking sound when letting go of the throttle in traffic. My E46 m3 with SMG transmission used to sound like this, but I only have 6,000 miles on this M2.

Yes on the clunk! But slightly different circumstances.

Don't know about the creak but my M2 (MY16 6spd MT) also has a slight clunk from the drive train. Had it since day 1. Sounds like it comes more from the rear than the tranny but I cant be sure.

tough to duplicate because of the rev match. Usually feel/hear it when I upshift slowly below 2K rpm. In other words in slower traffic. Haven't really noticed it coming off the throttle, more so when delaying the gear change, keep clutch depressed, so the rev match idle drops back down and the drivetrain "loads" when you reengage coming off the clutch.

Could be tranny or diff mount bushing? drive shaft play? That what it feels like to me. I have a similar clunk in my E36 M3.

Car hasn't made it to the 1200 service yet. Not sure how I will handle this at the service. I suspect they will beat on the car to get the clunk sound. Never happens when I am on the throttle. Most pronounced when driving the car like a Prius!

Since I am confirmed to get a new diff at some point I thought I would see if it persisted after the diff was replaced. That should rule out diff bushing and mount issues.

This is NOT the "sodacan" sound everyone is talking about. I have had that too!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

Turns out it was the strut boot. Replacement shipped from Germany...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Turns out it was the strut boot. Replacement shipped from Germany...
and this was the rear clunk also? or just the creaking?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
silverlude
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Exact same issues. Curious to know if the diff sound is expected/normal. The steering screech I only heard a few times.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlude View Post
Exact same issues. Curious to know if the diff sound is expected/normal. The steering screech I only heard a few times.
read this thread post # 20 and 21

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1344418
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
I am starting to experience a significant differential or transmission clunking sound when letting go of the throttle in traffic. My E46 m3 with SMG transmission used to sound like this, but I only have 6,000 miles on this M2.

Do you mind me asking how ran in the car from new? Did you follow the run in procedure as per the manufacturer or did you do a 'Hard Run in'?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:

As far as the first question in regards to creaking noise, I had this happen a few times (Both Right and Left sides) and parts had to be replaced. Read this thread (I'm the thread creator and posted a video):

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1291083
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
silverlude
Private
Rep

Any updates on anyone's clunking? Mine is still the same, haven't yet taken to dealer. But really annoying. Example, I'll be in 5th around 3000-3200 RPM and completely let off the throttle, not abruptly, (slowing traffic in front of me) then when I re-engage throttle instants later, huge annoying clunk coming from the rear of the car. As if some slack has formed while letting go of the throttle.

I cannot ignore it. I've learned to drive differently to avoid it, but certainly cannot be normal. The clunk/knock is way too strong to be normal. Something's gonna give eventually. It's either driving shaft or diff related in my opinion. If I were tracking my car right now that ON/OFF on the throttle would exacerbate this issue.

Can't believe how few people have noticed this...
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Z3MQP
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupé, M2, F11, e30 325i

Thanks for bringing this up. The same with my car and 6MT.

Even in no magazine or video test I noticed a comment on that. And I think it's quite significantly recognizable and relevant to the driving experience - much more than the angled drivers seat or the missing oil temp gauge.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Z3MQP
Rep

Short update on the clunk noise and feel in my 6MT M2 from 1/2017:

I had the car at the local BMW dealer yesterday and we drove quite a while. The BMW Head of Service was in the car and he confirmed the signifikant clunk comming fom the diff area.
When I leave the throttle in gears 4,5,6 with rpm approx. 2800-3400 there is a strong clunk noise and feel from underneath the car as somebody hits the floor with a rubber hammer. It is really anoying and I can't ignore it. It doesn't matter if the car gets pulled a bit harder or if I drive like a granny. BUT it's much more signifikant in the two modes sport and sport+ than in comfort mode. Comfort mode doesn't show this effect so extremly. Maybe 20% of it.

Finally, the BMW guys determined that this can not be normal and have put the car on the ramp to check the diff and the fixings. The first impressions showed no obvious reasons for the play in the drivetrain.

My car has 1300 km and we agreed, that they do some research until the break in service in 700 km....

I hope they find a solution. As mentioned, I can't accept that play in the drive train and I'm sure that this is not normal!

I would be very happy if someone with the same problem has additional input or even a solution for that.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Have had similar clunks like that in all the manual transmissions cars Ive owned. E30, E36, Mustang GT, even felt it in my buddies vette. Maybe not as severe as you guys make it sound, but to some extent.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang...unk-sound.html

Last edited by mrcheezle19; 03-18-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
Z3MQP
Rep

Do you have it in your M2 with manual transmission, too and is it worse than with the other cars?

My other bimmers including the Z3 M Coupé are free of clunking so far. Even my old e36 M3 3.2 with 200.00 km had only very little clunking.

The new M2 is REALLY anoying regarding that. I never felt that in any other car
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3MQP View Post
Short update on the clunk noise and feel in my 6MT M2 from 1/2017:

I had the car at the local BMW dealer yesterday and we drove quite a while. The BMW Head of Service was in the car and he confirmed the signifikant clunk comming fom the diff area.
When I leave the throttle in gears 4,5,6 with rpm approx. 2800-3400 there is a strong clunk noise and feel from underneath the car as somebody hits the floor with a rubber hammer. It is really anoying and I can't ignore it. It doesn't matter if the car gets pulled a bit harder or if I drive like a granny. BUT it's much more signifikant in the two modes sport and sport+ than in comfort mode. Comfort mode doesn't show this effect so extremly. Maybe 20% of it.

Finally, the BMW guys determined that this can not be normal and have put the car on the ramp to check the diff and the fixings. The first impressions showed no obvious reasons for the play in the drivetrain.

My car has 1300 km and we agreed, that they do some research until the break in service in 700 km....

I hope they find a solution. As mentioned, I can't accept that play in the drive train and I'm sure that this is not normal!

I would be very happy if someone with the same problem has additional input or even a solution for that.
That's a significant step forward. I wish I was close to other 6MT owners to compare. But the fact that your dealership admits it isn't normal is great news.

Thank you for sharing. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 2
Z3MQP24.00
reppucci337.50
      03-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #15
Z3MQP
Rep

Short update:
I brought my car to the local BMW Dealer today and gave them a detailed list of the symptoms.
Unfortunately my car has another problem: There are two different clacking noises from the rear... One is metallic, the other sounds more like a heavy plastic part romping in the trunk.

I hope they are able to eliminate these flaws. I love that car but I can´t live with these noises and the strong play in the drive train...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Z3MQP
Rep

I got my car back today. They haven't found the reason yet.. Munich told them to do a video and send it to them.

Now I have to wait until they come back with instructions from Munich...

Any news from you and your cars?
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If it's any help, my M235 6MT exhibits some mild differential "bumping" or slack when letting off the throttle, typically at 60-65mph in 6th. It can occur in other situations, but that's the most noticeable situation. I've noticed this issue in many other RWD and AWD cars. Some worse than others. I haven't bothered having BMW look into it because I'm certain it's normal and nothing can be done with OEM parts. I'm sure you can quell the issue with much stiffer bushings, etc. but then you'll create a whole slew of other NVH issues.

My guess is the sound/sensation in the M2 could be more prevalent because the M2 runs much stiffer rear subframe bushings. I believe they're straight metal and not rubber filled like on the M235. That will certainly increase NVH and is the price you pay for running racecar-like parts on the street. It's a compromise.
Appreciate 2
Z3MQP24.00
      03-31-2017, 03:01 AM   #18
Z3MQP
Rep

Thank you for your Input

What you describe I recognize in some of my other BMW, too. But there it is MUCH more gentle and smooth than in the M2. I wouldn´t complain about some noises and mechanic feedback like that because it´s a sports car.

In the M2 it really feels like a strong mechanic play as if the diff hits something realtivly strong. And it is with a delay of nearly a second from the moment I leave the throttle...

I think it gets even worth with the time and it even doesn´t feel save... It feels if something could be destroyed after a while.

Fortunately the local BMW Team judges it the same way.

And if that would be normal, all magazines would have sucked at the M2 justifiably for sure.

Last edited by Z3MQP; 03-31-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #19
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your Input

What you describe I recognize in some of my other BMW, too. But there it is MUCH more gentle and smooth than in the M2. I wouldn´t complain about some noises and mechanic feedback like that because it´s a sports car.

In the M2 it really feels like a strong mechanic play as if the diff hits something realtivly strong. And it is with a delay of nearly a second from the moment I leave the throttle...

I think it gets even worth with the time and it even doesn´t feel save... It feels if something could be destroyed after a while.

Fortunately the local BMW Team judges it the same way.

And if that would be normal, all magazines would have sucked at the M2 justifiably for sure.
I couldn't agree with your statement more. I have a feeling not all M2s display this issue, which is why there is limited feedback on this issue.

The delay/play is the most annoying aspect, which I'm confident will lead to something breaking. In fact, if I were driving the car very hard on a track, I'm pretty sure something might "give".

For now as my daily driver I'm accepting it, but do plan on eventually taking to the dealer and showing them too.

Have they come back with a more specific cause or solution for you, or are they just acknowledging and monitoring it?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
Z3MQP24.00
      04-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
Z3MQP
Rep

Today I picked my car up from the 2000 km service inlcuding a PUMA Software Update...

Bevor that, last week BMW M has sent an engineer from munich. We drove quite a while and had the play with the delay in drivetrain all the time. The reason they have sent him is, that the local BMW Service leader also said that this is not normal and that it is really anoying!

So finally when we drove with my M2, I assume the guy from munich sliped in his poker face mask and tried to understate the problem... He suggested to do the 2000km service and see how it behaves afterwards. In parallel will take this problem to munich and discuss it with the local engineers.

After picking my car up today and driving the car "hard" for the first time, I have to say the problem is still there!!

I repeat myself, I can't accpet that flaw. I bougt a new BMW and I payed cash for it and the car drives like a 300.000 km 520d in some aspects.

I'm fed up with it.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
silverlude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Today I picked my car up from the 2000 km service inlcuding a PUMA Software Update...

Bevor that, last week BMW M has sent an engineer from munich. We drove quite a while and had the play with the delay in drivetrain all the time. The reason they have sent him is, that the local BMW Service leader also said that this is not normal and that it is really anoying!

So finally when we drove with my M2, I assume the guy from munich sliped in his poker face mask and tried to understate the problem... He suggested to do the 2000km service and see how it behaves afterwards. In parallel will take this problem to munich and discuss it with the local engineers.

After picking my car up today and driving the car "hard" for the first time, I have to say the problem is still there!!

I repeat myself, I can't accpet that flaw. I bougt a new BMW and I payed cash for it and the car drives like a 300.000 km 520d in some aspects.

I'm fed up with it.
I'm impressed how seriously they are taking it, despite trying to understate.

I have 4000 miles, roughly 6400kms and issue is just as present as ever.

And F'ing annoying.

I'm getting to the point where I will take it to the dealer, just lack of time to deal with this BS. I wish something would break/snap.
Appreciate 1
Z3MQP24.00
      05-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #22
Z3MQP
Rep

Any news from you guys? They are still working on a solution for my car... I think the problem gets even worse with more miles/km on the car.
Appreciate 0