E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Key question

10-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Key question

This is probably in the wrong section and I didn't know how to search for it.

Is there a way to start our cars without having to plug the key in every time?
I am still trying to figure out if I have keyless entry as well?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Well, first there's a difference between keyless entry and comfort access. Keyless entry is when you can press the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the car. Comfort Access is when you lock the car, and if you touch the back of the handle, it will unlock the car. There's also grooves on the top of the door handle that you can use to lock the car, if it has comfort access.

Now, to start the car without plugging in the key, press the brake and press the start button. If it doesn't start that means you have to plug the key in to start it. You may be able to fit an aftermarket kit for Comfort Access and Keyless start, but that is likely to be very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

There is a way, I call it my ghetto comfort access. I installed a Omega BM1 remote start ($600) and I can start the car with three pushes of the lock button, and enter and drive without inserting the fob.

The car can actually drive without the key no problem. You shut the car off while leaving the doors closed, remove the key, then push the brake and restart the car.
      10-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Has the Omega BM1 been pretty bullet proof for you? I will be looking into that since it is really what I am looking for.

I assume you hit lock 3xs and the car starts, then just walk up and hit the unlock button or will it auto unlock due to proximity?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I've had it for maybe 3 years now and use it often. You can't use it every time since the key fob will die eventually and sticking it in the slot after a remote start doesn't charge it.

You need to hit the unlock button, there is no proximity sensor with the kit.

Mine takes 20 seconds to start for some reason. The installers mentioned something about the programmers of the kit making the delay for diesels but I think it's a bit BS. There's a way to change the delay but I've never bothered to look into it.