E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Question about headlights and EGR

10-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Question about headlights and EGR

So as the title says I have 2 questions, 1 about my headlights, and 1 about my EGR.

Headlights: Is there any way to adjust these lights to point higher up? I have the automatically adjusting headlights. When I turn they turn, and they adjust up and down. I know the vertical adjustment works because when I start my car the headlights come on and shine straight forward, then point down and slowly rise back up. However, I feel like they don't shine far enough ahead of me. I thought as you got faster they would point farther up to illuminate the road better, but it seems like my lights only shine at a distance that would be good for about 30MPH.

EGR: Is anyone here running everything stock and using an EGR block kit? I want to know if you've noticed any differences with it installed. Also, I know it's going to throw a code and make a check engine light. Is there any way I can get it to not throw that light all the time. I feel like it will be a pain to clear codes every time I drive. I should be getting my EGR block kit in the mail soon from Dave(not sure how long it will take it to get here, hoping for Friday).

Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by Torqu3; 10-25-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
So as the title says I have 2 questions, 1 bout my headlights, and 1 about my EGR.

Headlights: Is there any way to adjust these lights to point higher up? I have the automatically adjusting headlights. When I turn they turn, and they adjust up and down. I know the vertical adjustment works because when I start my car the headlights come on and shine straight forward, then point down and slowly rise back up. However, I feel like they don't shine far enough ahead of me. I thought as you got faster they would point farther up to illuminate the road better, but it seems like my lights only shine at a distance that would be good for about 30MPH.

EGR: Is anyone here running everything stock and using an EGR block kit? I want to know if you've noticed any differences with it installed. Also, I know it's going to throw a code and make a check engine light. Is there any way I can get it to not throw that light all the time. I feel like it will be a pain to clear codes every time I drive. I should be getting my EGR block kit in the mail soon from Dave(not sure how long it will take it to get here, hoping for Friday).

Thanks for the help!!!
first question..

there is a manual/initial adjustment screw on the headlight assemblies

second question..

coding/tuning
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I'll go check out the manual adjustment screw this afternoon. Thanks! As for Question 2, I knew it was coding/tuning, but is there any way I could do it myself, or is it a "talk to the professionals" type thing? I plan on getting the BPC Stage 2+ hopefully next year, but until then I would like to have the EGR coded out. Is there a cost effective way to do that, or should I just deal with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Someone here may be able to help you with the headlight question but you'll probably have better luck, asking that question in the general forum. (EDIT - Started writing this before the post above - glad you got your answer!)

On the EGR block issue - I ran a block for over a year with everything else stock and had no issues. Some say blocking the EGR might cause problems with DPF regens. Personally I had no problem with that but I do not have any data to say whether they increased or decreased in frequency and I also have a 30 minute each way highway commute that allows plenty of time for those to happen.

Yes, you will throw codes once the block is installed. There are two ways that I know of to deal with this without having to manually clear codes every time. 1) Pay for a tune that codes out the EGR (BPC and JR can do this for you, look for their threads), or 2) get your hands on a Burger Motorsports CAN tool. They neither make nor support these anymore so you will need to find one used. I got mine with the JBD that I bought. It has a mode where it automatically clears codes for you every time you start the car - you need to leave it plugged into the OBD but it is pretty easy to hide the wire and stash the module next to the driver's seat. The CEL will be on for the first 20-30 seconds or so and then it will go out. It clears ALL codes, so every now and then you'll want to check it to see if there are any non EGR-related codes popping up that require attention. You can check codes quickly before it automatically clears them by pushing the button on the unit, even while driving (it displays the codes by moving the speedo needle to 10, 20, 50, etc). Eventually you learn the EGR codes and will recognize right away if something new pops up.

I ran with a JBD and EGR block with a CAN tool auto-clearing faults for about a year until I did a check and spotted an SCR fault. I removed everything to get my SCR tank replaced under CPO (bad sensor issue that is very common) and haven't gotten around to reinstalling the EGR block yet. I will probably wait until after the winter so I can continue to enjoy quick warm-ups.

I think I paid $150 for my JBD and CAN tool. Way cheaper than any tune and when I do get a tune I should be able to recoup a large portion of that expense by selling them.

Last edited by gavronm; 10-25-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Torqu3319.00