E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > AT 335i for HPDE

10-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
e36power
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

AT 335i for HPDE

I did the Porsche driving experience last week here in Atlanta. 1.5 hours with a 911 on their handling circuit, among other things. Unbelievably fun.

So I get home and start doing some research on track days and learn about HPDEs. I want to start participating in these in the spring.

So a little background before I get to my question. I have a 08 335i. Prior to this car, I had always owned MTs, including an E36 325i (loved that car and hope to buy an E36 M3 sometime in the next couple of years). When I bought the E90, I was having a hard time finding a CPO manual with the options I wanted, so I bit the bullet and bought the AT 335i. For daily driving, it is a good transmission. I drive it in manual mode exclusively, and am satisfied with it. However, I have always had some regret. Which leads me to my question.

Reading on the forums, I am finding that the E90 ATs with N54s run into cooling issues on track days. So my question is this, at what point does this become a problem. Will I have a problem with this at the HPDE 1 level? Has anyone done Road Atlanta or Atlanta Motorsport Park with an AT N54 and, if so, any issues? Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

All things on the internet can be explained in a sexual analogy.

Wondering if you're going to have problem with your 335i AT on a track before you even attempt a DE, is like wondering if you're going to get a girl pregnant before you even go on your first date. You don't even know if you'll end up having sex. Or if she's on her "safe" dates.

But yes, IF you two end up having unprotected sex, chances are pretty good you'll get her pregnant. So why take the risk? Fix your lack of cooling for the AT transmission. Or better yet, take that E36 M3 you want to buy because that is a better platform to start with.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
E90ALLMANUAL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/328i/no sunroof

You sound like you are a novice to track days. Don't feel bad about it and don't be intimidated. You are gong to have fun.

You can have a great time with a 100% stock car. Please make sure all maintenance is up to date.

Here is a basic check list:

?Any oil leaks?
?Fresh brake fluid?
?more than 50% on brakes and tires?
?Any suspensión problem ?
?do you have a helmet?
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I agree go and have fun. They will have a tech inspection a few weeks prior to event so make sure like said above, the tires you will use are in good condition, good tread no bubbles, make sure you have flushed brake fluid within the last 12 months, pads are at a min half. Check engine bay and battery nothing moving around. Not a bad idea to change oil prior to event. I have seen a lot of posts on the oil cooler vs non oil cooler cars and oil temps over the limit at track events. More than likely in the green group you will not experience the dreaded limp mode but be aware it can happen.

I would suggest if you have not already , do a few autocross events prior to first track day not a must but will give you an idea as to the adhesion limits of your particular car and its tolerance to aggressive driving. Off ramps are not the place to learn this. Again just a suggestion.

I bet the Porsche event was fun but you will have a better time doing track days in your own car and certainly make some like minded friend along the way.

Most important piece of advice, Keep the Shinny Side Up!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
e36power
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Wondering if you're going to have problem with your 335i AT on a track before you even attempt a DE, is like wondering if you're going to get a girl pregnant before you even go on your first date. You don't even know if you'll end up having sex. Or if she's on her "safe" dates.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ALLMANUAL View Post
You sound like you are a novice to track days. Don't feel bad about it and don't be intimidated. You are gong to have fun.

You can have a great time with a 100% stock car. Please make sure all maintenance is up to date.

Here is a basic check list:

?Any oil leaks?
?Fresh brake fluid?
?more than 50% on brakes and tires?
?Any suspensión problem ?
?do you have a helmet?
Thanks. Yeah, it is new to me. Not sure why it took so long to realize I should be doing this, being a life long car enthusiast. I guess the Porsche event lit a fuse.

My car is actually in the shop now, getting my oil pan gasket replaced and a new cooling system (radiator sprung a leak). So I should be good on leaks. I will probably give this a go in the spring, so I planned to deal with my brakes and my front tires then. A couple of screws recently forced new rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
I would suggest if you have not already , do a few autocross events prior to first track day not a must but will give you an idea as to the adhesion limits of your particular car and its tolerance to aggressive driving. Off ramps are not the place to learn this. Again just a suggestion.
Good idea. I believe that the Atlanta chapter of BMWCCA has these occasionally. Will plan on going to a couple.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I have attended more than a few HPDE events with my 6AT 335i. Cooling is going to be your number one problem, if any.

What are the temps going to be like the day of the track event? Independent of the transmission, the 335i suffers from high oil temperatures, especially at the track! Do you have the OEM oil cooler? - this is a must at the very least, without one, you will almost surely run into limp mode due to high oil temperatures. I would recommend a brake fluid bleed after and before the event, and go easy on the brakes so you don't end up overheating your rotors and glazing them (I've done this on street pads with poor breaking techniques on my end).

Let the car idle for 5 minutes after each event to keep the fluids flowing before shutting her down while they're extremely hot.

You'll have fun! I recently retired the 335i for the track and am tracking an e36 M3. Boy, the light car approach to racing is much more rewarding, it makes our 335i's feel like pigs! Good luck out there.
      10-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

I logged the trans temp on my car during a few HPDE, it hovers at around 110C during the 20-30mins session when I am driving flat out. Could the temp be lower, sure. But is 110C/230F dangerously high for the synthetic oil used in these ZF 6hp21 (btw, I ran redline D4), hell no... And my car pretty much have all the performance mods that you can think of aside from aftermarket turbos and inlets... on top of that, I am far from slow in the intermediate and advance groups that I typically drive in.

Rather than messing with the transmission lines to cure a non-existing problem, I would look into getting an aftermarket oil cooler and radiator instead... Of course, there are plenty of other things to worry about before that too, i.e. brakes, tires, suspension setup, and that thing sitting behind the steering wheel.

Just to clarify, trans temp is not what's killing these ZF box, even at +600hp level, and those who said so never had any proper data to back up those claims.

Lighter cars are better for track, no doubt. But some of us want something that can be used daily as well, which IMO e90 has the right balance for. No matter how you put it, E36 is a pretty dated platform and given the same mods, e90, particularly ones with N54 or S65 engine, will be much faster on track...

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 10-27-2016 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      10-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
e36power
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Rather than messing with the transmission lines to cure a non-existing problem, I would look into getting an aftermarket oil cooler and radiator instead... Of course, there are plenty of other things to worry about before that too, i.e. brakes, tires, suspension setup, and that thing sitting behind the steering wheel.
I think the last part of the quote is key. I have a long ways to go before I am pushing this car to the limit. If my experiences at the BMW and Porsche driving schools taught me anything, it is that these cars can handle a lot more than I can throw at them at this point. I will address the brakes before any HPDE, everything else will come with time and experience. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

I have yet to run into Cooling issues with regards to the trans. With that said, even when I first started attending HPDE I boiled the brakes and overheated the oil. My recommendation would be to put some high temp Brake fluid, Decent track pads, and get an oil cooler. That will allow you to take advantage of each session and maximize your seat time at each event.
Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning Downpipes, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
OP don't stress. If this is your first time out, odds are you will be taking it easy on the track. Just made sure your tires and brakes are in good shape. Bring a helmet and have some fun.

If you make this a more common occurrence, then you can look at improving your cooling along with a host of other weakpoints that may expose themselves (brakes, tires, suspension). Until then, go have some fun
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
E30_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

N55 but, I've done 18 track days this year, some in near 100 degree heat and never a problem with the tranny, and I have over 400hp.
2011 335i Sport, M3 control arms front/rear, ECS Tuning rear trailing arms, Bilstein HD's, StopTech BBK, Drexel LSD, Dinan camber plates, FBO's with Cobb Stage 2 tune, Corsa exhaust, 18x9 D-Force, 255/35 R-S4's
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7348/27630930216_573ce3d512_m.jpg
Appreciate 0