THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning OEM exhaust mod

11-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
OEM exhaust mod

Read alot about this on the m3 and f30 forums.

Basically, opening up the muffler and sealing the holes in chamber 1 and 3 and resealing. People reported it sounded like a slightly louder MPE.

Anyone try this?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by qJai View Post

Basically, opening up the muffler and sealing the holes in chamber 1 and 3 and resealing. People reported it sounded like a slightly louder MPE.

Anyone try this?
also from the York region area, and also curious to know more about this exhaust mod.

since you are in the area, here are some shops I can recommend for you.

L&G auto muffler (or some name of the sort) does the OEM mod.
GT customs is a great, reasonably priced muffler shop which carries various parts like magnaflow, borla, and their own line of custom mufflers.
ASAD muffler shop (got my secondary cats deleted here) excellent welding skills. he really loves what he is doing and always does a great job. some of his jobs are a touch pricey but its worth the craftsmanship.

I am currently debating between a custom muffler or OEM exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
also from the York region area, and also curious to know more about this exhaust mod.

since you are in the area, here are some shops I can recommend for you.

L&G auto muffler (or some name of the sort) does the OEM mod.
GT customs is a great, reasonably priced muffler shop which carries various parts like magnaflow, borla, and their own line of custom mufflers.
ASAD muffler shop (got my secondary cats deleted here) excellent welding skills. he really loves what he is doing and always does a great job. some of his jobs are a touch pricey but its worth the craftsmanship.

I am currently debating between a custom muffler or OEM exhaust mod.

Yea i ended up going to GT customs to do a custom exhaust. went with the vibrant ultraquiet resonator to replace the stock muffler. loved it but my gf found it too loud, so swapped it out with the vibrant muffler. pretty good. gives a good growl but keeps it low key.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Yea i ended up going to GT customs to do a custom exhaust. went with the vibrant ultraquiet resonator to replace the stock muffler. loved it but my gf found it too loud, so swapped it out with the vibrant muffler. pretty good. gives a good growl but keeps it low key.
Did you keep the single exit or change it to dual exit?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace604 View Post
Did you keep the single exit or change it to dual exit?
Single exit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I should be doing the OEM exhaust mod this Saturday. Videos and pictures to follow. I have the resonator deleted already so it should sound pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

Anyone try this?
Basically by doing this, you're only getting a muffler delete.

If I am understanding correctly you mean the holes in the pipes in the muffler that are surrounded by fiberglass. This is where the muffling comes from. So by doing this you remove any muffling there is. The only thing the "housing" of the muffler is doing at that point is changing the frequency. Seems like a lot of labor for basically a muffler delete. May be a little quieter than a straight delete though due to the frequency change our ears will perceive it differently, but I wouldn't expect it to be too much quieter. The reason it sounds so different on the M3, etc is because they have a large resonator in the muffler.

I don't know if you have to have a stock looking muffler where you're from to register, pass inspection, etc. But if you don't I think the muffler delete would be better, because the labor will be a lot compared to a straight delete.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=13

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

It's not any more work or money for me so why not. I don't have emission testing or inspections in my state so I can do what I want. I tend to do things that most people don't so this is right up that alley. I'm hoping that it will be a little less obnoxious than a straight muffler delete because of the tonal differences. At most it's going to cost me $30 and some time, which i have plenty of lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
It's not any more work or money for me so why not. I don't have emission testing or inspections in my state so I can do what I want. I tend to do things that most people don't so this is right up that alley. I'm hoping that it will be a little less obnoxious than a straight muffler delete because of the tonal differences. At most it's going to cost me $30 and some time, which i have plenty of lately.
I would really like to hear it to compare. I have a straight delete, but the 8 speed auto so it isn't that obnoxious. I really like hearing all the different custom exhausts everyone tries, I searched and found nothing on this other than pictures.

I feel like the people who would benefit the most from this are those who live in areas where they have to have parts inspected and certified.

This is a similar concept to what I did on my 3rd Gen Camaro when I still needed it emissions inspected. Left the shell of the catalytic converter but put a straight pipe through it after I hollowed it out, inspectors saw a cat, it passed because the O2 sensors were turned off. They were none the wiser.

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB34 View Post
Quote:
I would really like to hear it to compare. I have a straight delete, but the 8 speed auto so it isn't that obnoxious. I really like hearing all the different custom exhausts everyone tries, I searched and found nothing on this other than pictures.

I feel like the people who would benefit the most from this are those who live in areas where they have to have parts inspected and certified.

This is a similar concept to what I did on my 3rd Gen Camaro when I still needed it emissions inspected. Left the shell of the catalytic converter but put a straight pipe through it after I hollowed it out, inspectors saw a cat, it passed because the O2 sensors were turned off. They were none the wiser.
If I don't like it I can always change it. Drill a few holes on the new pipe sections to change the tone. Getting it how I want it is the goal. I don't want full delete. Somewhere in between for less than the MP exhaust. The 228 isn't going anywhere anytime soon so I could care less about resale or trade in value.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

And it starts today....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Get a vid up!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Three sections.

Section 1 inlet with mesh ring. Section 2 (center) 3" mesh and dual 2" outlets. Section 3 3" mesh tube that is crimped off at the end. Fiber insulation/sound deadening in sections 1 and 3. Divider walls have mesh sections as well. Hanger brackets have two nuts that hold them on and are 13mm. Easier to take the brackets off than try to remove the hanger pegs from the rubber hangers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #14
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Page 2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Cut the mesh pipe in the center section and it will slide out into the end. I buttoned it up with some duct tape and loosely fitted it back on with no insulation inside. Sounds freakin awesome but I'm going to install the insulation back into the ends when I button it back up tomorrow before install. It should add a slight deep tone to it until it's WOT. So it comes out of the 3" bend in section 1 and dumps into section 2 where the dual 2" outlets exit. It used to dump partially into #2 and #3. Now just into #2 but at WOT it will push into chamber 3 and deaden into the insulation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

No insulation. No drone. Almost no cost. Learned to TIG weld today as well. 4 hours of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #17
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

That sounds fantastic!
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
That sounds fantastic!
Agreed. I'm going to do a bumper view drive around vid at some point when I'm not too lazy to get a GoPro. LOL Even though it's in the 90's temp wise outside I'm driving around with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #19
Jensenl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds fantastic!
Agreed. I'm going to do a bumper view drive around vid at some point when I'm not too lazy to get a GoPro. LOL Even though it's in the 90's temp wise outside I'm driving around with the windows down.
i have done the same thing on my n26 as well,but it doesn't make alot difference and i end up connect it from the inside of the muffler
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensenl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That sounds fantastic!
i have done the same thing on my n26 as well,but it doesn't make alot difference and i end up connect it from the inside of the muffler
It makes just enough difference for me and once I install a catless downpipe it will be exactly what I want.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #21
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Three sections.

Section 1 inlet with mesh ring. Section 2 (center) 3" mesh and dual 2" outlets. Section 3 3" mesh tube that is crimped off at the end. Fiber insulation/sound deadening in sections 1 and 3. Divider walls have mesh sections as well. Hanger brackets have two nuts that hold them on and are 13mm. Easier to take the brackets off than try to remove the hanger pegs from the rubber hangers.
any videos of the sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldor27 View Post
Quote:
Three sections.

any videos of the sound?
Scroll up.
Appreciate 0