E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Water Fogging from DWR

11-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Zuke737
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport/F15 Msport X5

Water Fogging from DWR

I was wondering how your fogging system is coming along, and what you think of it so far?

It sounds like just what I am looking for, just enough water to keep everything clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuke737 View Post
I was wondering how your fogging system is coming along, and what you think of it so far?

It sounds like just what I am looking for, just enough water to keep everything clean.
In reference to this post, I have played around with it a little more to fine tune it. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=313
A couple of insights for those who would like to try it:

1) Smaller nozzles produce a very fine mist, much finer than any water only pressurized nozzle I have seen. I tried a nozzle that was capable of flowing 200cc/min, but the atomization was not fine enough for my piece of mind.

2) Too much air pressure can overwhelm the nozzle and reduce liquid flow. I'm using a high pressure propane regulator to hold pressure down and maximize fluid flow/minimize boost recirculation. As little as 1 SCFM of air is all that is needed.

3) Flow starts at very low pressure. I made a check valve from 2 female barbed fittings on the ends of a short section of threaded pipe. Inside there is a ball bearing and small compression spring. The cracking pressure can be adjusted by turning the fittings. I have it cracking open at 7 psi. That seems to have taken away any low load, cold start "steaming" I was occasionally getting.

4) I like that the system is so darn simple. No electrical hookup. Adjustment is manual, no programming involved.

5) I don't see any difference in fuel mileage. I was wondering if ignition delay might increase Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, but I haven't measured any.

6) It was a cheap to implement. It cost me about $40 in parts.

7) Going through more water/methanol than a typical WMI system. I am taking it out of the windshield washer tank, so I get low level warnings. Otherwise, I would forget and run out of fluid. Then the siphon nozzle would suck in unfiltered air. Probably cleaner than EGR, but still not desirable.

8) Was surprised when I inspected the intake tube and could see where it had been polished clean by this system. Nothing wrong with my air filter. So I guess it is working.

9) Changed the oil recently after running @ 3,000 miles with the system. I did not analyze the oil, but I know what water contamination looks and feels like and I could not detect any issue.

!0) It is not going to take the place of a WMI piggyback/controller for horsepower augmentation.
Appreciate 1
TDIwyse613.50