E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Belly pan question

11-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Oilburnerfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Titanium/Blk M-Sport

Belly pan question

All, my 2011 M Sport was bought with a front bumper that is in less than stellar condition. I have a plan to fix the bumper this weekend.

The issue I am currently having is with the belly pan. During a high speed run on the Tollway between Austin and Buda (the speed limit is 80 so that should give you an idea of how fast I was actually going...LOL) I heard a loud flapping sound. Dropping back down to 80 it got better. I thought it was a tire delaminating or went flat so I called Discount Tire and got there as quick as I could. We found nothing wrong with the tire though. It turns out that the belly pan came loose from the M Sport bumper and was flapping around. It is now toast since it is not made of very sturdy material.

So I started my search of finding a replacement that did not break the bank and would even be better if possible. That seach brought me to ECS Tuning where I found what they say is the proper replacement parts.

They say I need the following:
1) Belly Pan Adapter: ES130707 For vehicles with M Aerodynamics package
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...arch/ES130707/

2) Belly Pan Adapter: ES1844565 This adapter connects the belly pan to the M-Sport bumper
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...rch/ES1844565/

3) Belly Pan: ES2637289 Splash shield protecting the engine from dirt and debris in vehicles without M-Sport front bumper
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...rch/ES2637289/

4) Belly Pan Installation Hardware Kit: ES2637290 Everything you need to install a new belly pan
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...rch/ES2637290/

They told me that the 2 adapters will convert the Bremmen Parts aftermarket belly pan (which looks like plastic and might hold up better than the OEM piece) to work with the M Sport bumper. They also said I might want to get the installation kit just in case some screws are missing. Can anyone confirm if these will fit the 335d with M Sport bumper?

They will take these back if they do not fit, but the freight to my zip code is $93.80 each way. So I would be out over $180 if they are wrong. All the risk is on me which does not instill a lot of confidence.

Last edited by Oilburnerfan; 11-09-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I just went to dealer and purchased the OEM bell pan. P/N 51757205471 but it cost ~$305 with tax. I considered buying on internet for better deal but shipping was going to be high due to part size. It came out to close the same cost in the end and I was able to see it before paying.

Here is realoem link too,
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_5860

my pan does use an adapter but don't recall it looking like item #11 from the link. If you want to hold off, I can check this weekend. My guess is you must have hit something to tear up your factory felt/paper/non plastic pan. I've went plenty fast and never torn mine up. I say that but you likely will ask why I bought another one. Mine got broken in a parking incident.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

WIsh i looked at ecs for this part. Literally did this last week. I was doing 100+ and heard flapping. Then i heard grinding on the road. No lights so figured tires were ok. Looked under when stopped, belly pan. paid $275 through tischer bmw for it. replaced
      11-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Oilburnerfan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I just went to dealer and purchased the OEM bell pan. P/N 51757205471 but it cost ~$305 with tax. I considered buying on internet for better deal but shipping was going to be high due to part size. It came out to close the same cost in the end and I was able to see it before paying.

Here is realoem link too,
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_5860

my pan does use an adapter but don't recall it looking like item #11 from the link. If you want to hold off, I can check this weekend. My guess is you must have hit something to tear up your factory felt/paper/non plastic pan. I've went plenty fast and never torn mine up. I say that but you likely will ask why I bought another one. Mine got broken in a parking incident.

The bumper and belly pan were damaged over time by previous owner hitting parking curbs. My high speed run was the nail in the coffin. I'm hoping someone has used these exact parts and has feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburnerfan View Post
The bumper and belly pan were damaged over time by previous owner hitting parking curbs. My high speed run was the nail in the coffin. I'm hoping someone has used these exact parts and has feedback.
Here is something to compare to. My new and old belly pan are pictured side by side. $180 is a lot to eat if you're wrong. Before anyone asks, I threw it away. It was broken on one side. I had a coolant leak as you can see the blue/green stuff crystallized. It was from the EGR cooler water bypass using the hose. I now have an ironclad water bypass. No more leaks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

I took liberties and copied the ECS picture and pointed to acouple places that might need a little trimming. Most of the other features are similar to the factory ones that I show. A little dremel trimming will be no sweat if all of the bolts line up.For $80 +$93 shipping, it is perhaps worth a try. Take a took.

One other question: Is the factory supplied adapter on front of your m-sport still good? If yes, I would use it. See those 5 nut plates at not quite front edge of my new one? Those are what attaches to the factory adapter. The three nut plates at very front of belly pan aren't used I don't believe. The very front of the pan is shoved up over the polyurethane (or whatever) bumper. It is attached to adapter by the 5 nut plates as I said. I will look for you concerning adapter.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-09-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

ECS belly pan does not have the cooling ducts. I would use OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Oilburnerfan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
ECS belly pan does not have the cooling ducts. I would use OEM.
Ok, good point. I think I will have to spend the high $ for the OEM.

Someone with a CNC mill should design and build an aluminum skid plate like you can get for the VW TDIs. I would buy one.

What is the best price to buy the OEM version? What's the link if you have it too please?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Try these guys
http://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oe-bmw/51757205471

It's at $258, but check what shipping will set you back.
May be look for a used one locally.
I found gas station pressure washers clean them us fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
rotatool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does anybody have a picture with the M adapter in place? I have a little damage under the bumper and like to know if is anything missing.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 02:41 AM   #11
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
My 335d sits on B8's, OE belly pan is sagging.
It is time to replace it.

The FLA retrofit greatly helps with "early deer detection" at night.
It does not address "other road objects" on US-50, similar to Efthreeoh experience.

I am considering the following upgraded options:
- Turner Milled Finish Aluminum Skid Plate - E9x Non-M RWD seems to be for petrol version and is known to fit well.
- Whitbread Performance E90 Belly Pan may be better fit for M57 version

Anyone has experience with 335d aluminum belly pan fitment?

Last edited by POBEP; 05-30-2022 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 04:40 PM   #12
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
My 335d sits on B8's, OE belly pan is sagging.
It is time to replace it.

The FLA retrofit greatly helps with "early deer detection" at night.
It does not address "other road objects" on US-50, similar to Efthreeoh experience.

I am considering the following upgraded options:
- Turner Milled Finish Aluminum Skid Plate - E9x Non-M RWD seems to be for petrol version and is known to fit well.
- Whitbread Performance E90 Belly Pan may be better fit for M57 version

Anyone has experience with 335d aluminum belly pan fitment?
Yes support Whitbread..
Appreciate 1
POBEP359.50
      09-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Yes support Whitbread..
Ordered one from Whitbread.
I hope it will fit correctly.
They refer to M-Sport 335d - mine is just Sport

The plan is to put it in while 335d is on jack stands for repair due to leaking DEF somewhere at SCR delivery module / metering line connection ...
      10-23-2022, 02:33 AM   #14
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
Ordered one from Whitbread.
I hope it will fit correctly.
They refer to M-Sport 335d - mine is just Sport

The plan is to put it in while 335d is on jack stands for repair due to leaking DEF somewhere at SCR delivery module / metering line connection ...
335dlci - thanks again for your advice.

It took 5 weeks for pan to show up (never got a single reply from WP though).

I just finished installation - quick recap
- product quality is outstanding
- easy to install despite added weight
- current version fits both M-Sport and non M-Sport bumpers
- package includes everything you need to put it up, including spare bolts/screws/rivnuts (somehow I did not mess up any along the way)
- I had to widen couple holes to make large bolts fit properly
- 4 brace mount SS bolts are too long (temporary added some washers, will grind them at the next oil change)

Other:
It turns out that my 335d had some crappy aftermarket pan.
Attached Images