E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Key Fob Trunk Button Not Opening Trunk

11-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Key Fob Trunk Button Not Opening Trunk

Sometimes this car does weird things that I just don't understand. This is one of those things. I have comfort access, and that works fine on all the doors, and works about 60% of the time opening the trunk. The other 40% I have to unlock the car before trying to open the trunk. The button on the key fob to open the trunk doesn't open it for some reason. If I hold the button down it sets off the alarm, but just pressing it does nothing. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I also have comfort access. Pretty much what you say happens to me as well. I have had luck if I push trunk button multiple times though. Most of the time if it doesn't open by squeezing the rubber button, I also push the unlock button. Either way, it's a button push (trunk button or unlock button) so I don't stress.

Minor thread jack/sorry:
My key fob went for a swim a couple summers ago though. I attribute my intermittent problem to this. The fob eats batteries now in about ~6 weeks. I have cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol 2 or 3 times and let dry. After initial "swim", I put it in a bowl of rice for about a week. It works fine except just hard on the batteries. The swimming pool was a salt water type so I think I've got some parasitic current leakage across some where in there. I don't know how to fully open up the green board for cleaning so I used Qtip up inside the battery rubber seal thing.

I have a back up fob that just recently needed a new battery and is now fresh. I will try it with trunk to see if same trunk button issue is still there.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
....If I hold the button down it sets off the alarm, but just pressing it does nothing. Thoughts?
Try holding it for ~3 seconds. I hold it down, count till 3 and let it go and it pops open. Holding it for 4 seconds or longer sets up the alarm.
JR Auto tune and Bohl Diesel Downpipe - KWv2 coils - Apex Racing 18" EC7 wheels wrapped in Michelin PSS 245/275 F/R - Zimmerman cross drilled rotors F/R with Hawk HPS pads - SS brake lines - Motul RBF 600 - ADD W1 oil catch can - BMW performance CF spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If you have anything that may interfere with the signal, that will make for an intermittent issue you are experiencing. Cell phone, a wallet in the same pocket. Try opening your trunk with key in a hand, close to the car, usually opens without a fuss.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
davethetenor
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Comfort access here too, and I have to hold mine down for a second or so to pop the trunk.