E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Service Action 615 -what is it?

11-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
m3driver999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Service Action 615 -what is it?

Hello Forum,

I have a 2011 335d built in June 2011.
Thanks to the forum, I have fixed SCR and DEF MIL's so I am now running MIL light free with all the ABC's installed - I know ..just matter of time til next MIL.

Anybody know what the SA615 was for? My car has a sticker in the B-pillar for SA615. But I am finding information that the car needs SA626 - which is software update for ECU for SCR and DEF issues.

Trying to get history from dealer has been difficult, and trying to get the dealer to do SA626 also with no success.

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Probably one of the earlier EGR or SCR recalls.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
m3driver999
Private
Rep

SA616

Howdy,

I looked up some info on the TIS, I found SA616 which is SI B 18 04 12 - dated April 2012 which applies for 335d built 6/2009 - 9/2010.

Yes most likely SA615 is SCR or EGR or Throttle body..either hardware or software...but want to know exactly..

The thing is that my car has SA615, and dealer was not willing to do SA626. SA626 is DDE reflash. SA626 was done in-directly when FRM failed 6 weeks back, and they had to update DDE, FRM, DSC, ...

The point is that BMW NA is not standing behind its responsibility towards emissions on these cars - whether in or out of warranty. Some service actions are applicable regardless of mileage or time.

They have released a flurry of parts and/or SI B's which is hard to keep track of. (i.e. 1 large issue can be masked into several smaller issues thereby eliminating need for large campaign or recall)
(i.e. M57 in E70 and E90 are similar, but more E70 components have been re-designed and recalled while E90 335d less so..i.e. SCR tank)

So now trying to gather documentation to see if indeed data is on my side. And the reluctance of BMW dealers to take proper actions re: emissions issues.

And if parts were replaced, and now have failed again, they carry a 2 yr warranty.

Already wrote to BMW NA, but limited action, it may be time now to write afain to BMW NA and cc: to CARB and EPA, and get a clear answer.

TIA,
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

The Dealers are not going to touch it unless it's setting codes and under warranty. You would need to be pretty specific about exactly what you want and why, even with the factory long-term exclusively emissions-type stuff. If the car's not complaining about it, they don't care.

My warranty support experience with the Dealer I decided to "like" was very good. I believe what the sticker "means" is the recall was done. Otherwise, it would not be there.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
m3driver999
Private
Rep

SIB for Service Action 615

Yes, the experience at the dealer can be YMMV, and that trickles down to everything from that point on..
Also, from reading forum my odds of being 'liked' seems to related to me giving perfect '10' surveys.. :-( :-)

My experience so far in SoCal is that out of warranty - then it is treated as a 'profit' job.
if they see low chance of making $ on the job, ie non warranty ie customer pay.., less the chance of being liked.

Back in July 2015 walked into dealer with MIL + 3 codes + SI B (SA626) but walked away $175 lighter (diag fee) and with the MIL.

(had read codes prior, SCR, EGR, throttle)

Was out of warranty, but the SA 626 states the DDE update is applicable to any 335d regardless of time or mileage.

But it seems, the experience at dealer varies, had no prior relationship with dealer, so walked in with SI B and expectation of them to 'do right' and apply DDE update at their cost - well, lost that bet...but was able to fix the MIL on my own - thanks to all here in forum, and some DYI skills - and got the DDE update luckily due to FRM module item.

Still 'hurt' the $175 diagnostic fee lost and my cost for the 1 new SCR injector and 1 NOx sensor. Now trying to piece together the history- also dealer collaboration is YMMV - and if SCR and/or EGR and/or throttle were worked on prior 2 years...2 years parts and labor warranty in CA...I'd say some $ is due my way...but not too optimistic with that..

At any rate, the car is a very nice piece of engineering, the reliability of the emiss equip is lacking. Wishing was in the non-ABC equipment states..

Cheers,

Last edited by m3driver999; 11-27-2016 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0