E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Just cleaning Intake and EGR

12-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 1992 Chevy CK1500

Just cleaning Intake and EGR

I plan on deleting my swirl valves due to upcoming BPC 2+ tune and since I do not have a media blaster I was just going to clean the intake manifold and egr as best I can. Is this worth it? Is this not recommended? Also, will I have to do any adaptations when I am done?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
supermann125
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I was thinking the similar process, but then using the chemical CBU cleaner to effectively act as my walnut blast. Any insights from you guys would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemann892 View Post
I plan on deleting my swirl valves due to upcoming BPC 2+ tune and since I do not have a media blaster I was just going to clean the intake manifold and egr as best I can. Is this worth it? Is this not recommended? Also, will I have to do any adaptations when I am done?

Thanks!
using the walnut blaster on the intake manifold isn't recommended. most use a degreaser/ hot tank/ some other cleaning solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep

yes i plan on cleaning both egr and intake manifold with solvents and soaking (parts with out electronics)

I just wanted to know if thats mainly were the problem lies or with out cleaning the valves and cleaning everything else, will the engine be upset? I know that after CBU cleaning people have spoken about adaptations using some software controllers. I just want to make sure that when I clean the intake and egr and install swirl valve deletes and egr deletes what to expect. When I turn the car back on it will have a programmed ECU with BPC 2+ tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I didn't do anything with adaptations or anything else electronic. Disassembled, cleaned with liquid product from Walmart called super clean but sprayed with oven cleaner before hand. I didn't touch the head's ports but mine only had a little bit of build up. I did not do this at same time as tune though. Not sure that would be a big deal. Later after the cleaning, I switched to faux EGR valve. Forgot to mention, I switched swirl delete plates as part of intake cleaning. I noticed no difference performance wise from any of this but have piece of mind that intake is clean and ports not fouled.

One more "I forgot". Dealer typically has intake sent out for ultrasonic cleaning. My local dealer service manager was nice enough to give me name and phone number of that business to eliminate middle man. I still just did my own cleaning as I didn't want to wait on turn around.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 12-01-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quote:
yes i plan on cleaning both egr and intake manifold with solvents and soaking (parts with out electronics)

I just wanted to know if thats mainly were the problem lies or with out cleaning the valves and cleaning everything else, will the engine be upset? I know that after CBU cleaning people have spoken about adaptations using some software controllers. I just want to make sure that when I clean the intake and egr and install swirl valve deletes and egr deletes what to expect. When I turn the car back on it will have a programmed ECU with BPC 2+ tune.
If your near a sams club, pick up oven and fryer degreaser. I used 6 bottles in a small tub and let my mani sit in it for a day and bammm sludge was gone and mani was cleaned. I have pics if you want, pm me your email. If you have a BPC 2+ BPC keeps your flaps always open so you really don't need the deletes. I have the plugs also, but since BPC keeps them open, I just cleaned them and put them back with new gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
terry335d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

CBU

I did egr with solvent and had the local shop use their degreasing tank for plastic parts (2 days) which did a great job.
With the intake off, you can get a pretty good idea if blasting the ports and valves is necessary. In my case, I used a camera probe to check and I could barely even tell that I had valves they were so crusted up!
I rented the wands from Mik325tds and did it myself. Not sure I'd do it again, but I'm also not sure how much effort a shop would go to to get all the gunk.
I didn't have to do adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep

Thanks for the advise guys. Much appreciated. I am going to go grab the degreasers and soak/ clean them. Hopefully my valves are decent as I don't have the wand.

As for the tune of the flaps open, I spoke on the phone with them and they said they allow them to operate normally for stage 2+, unless you have them deleted. The person I spoke to told me that if I did delete them they would update the tune and time and shipping would be the only cost. I am opting to just delete them, clean what I can and change seals and gaskets and delete the swirl valves at the same time. It was only $50 worth of parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Bravo, why not post your pics for us all to see please? I wanted to do the soaking as well but didn't want to buy 6 jugs of the cleaner I used (Walmart super clean, purple jug). I poured individual runners full and tried to prop intake at correct angle to retain the liquid.

One other thing I failed to mention. I bought a 20" long bristle brush that I could bend which helps to feed through the intake port. Of course it came from Walmart. I saw lots of black gook that was stuck to brush afterwards. Brush was where the brooms/household stuff for cleaning floors etc is. Not sure it would have come out if only soaked. Using boroscope camera, my cleaning was very good but not flawless. I still saw a few rough spots or the oven cleaner might have chemically ate the plastic a little.

I have since pulled that first one I cleaned ( I have two intakes). I might follow up on the first one with your Sams chemical. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

From the same logic, why can't you rotate engine until valve is closed, and spray some cleaner in the port, soak, scrub with bottle brush, then suck it out with a turkey baster? You could kink the turkey baster so it gets in on an angle to get the most out. Or use flexible long stem plastic pipettes like this https://www.google.com/search?q=long...82994482454487
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
From the same logic, why can't you rotate engine until valve is closed, and spray some cleaner in the port, soak, scrub with bottle brush, then suck it out with a turkey baster? You could kink the turkey baster so it gets in on an angle to get the most out. Or use flexible long stem plastic pipettes like this https://www.google.com/search?q=long...82994482454487
you woudlnt have to suck it out with a turkey baster if you were doing a CB cleaning because it would be sucked out anyways with the vacuum
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Bravo, why not post your pics for us all to see please? I wanted to do the soaking as well but didn't want to buy 6 jugs of the cleaner I used (Walmart super clean, purple jug). I poured individual runners full and tried to prop intake at correct angle to retain the liquid.

One other thing I failed to mention. I bought a 20" long bristle brush that I could bend which helps to feed through the intake port. Of course it came from Walmart. I saw lots of black gook that was stuck to brush afterwards. Brush was where the brooms/household stuff for cleaning floors etc is. Not sure it would have come out if only soaked. Using boroscope camera, my cleaning was very good but not flawless. I still saw a few rough spots or the oven cleaner might have chemically ate the plastic a little.

I have since pulled that first one I cleaned ( I have two intakes). I might follow up on the first one with your Sams chemical. Thanks

I will take pictures when I clean mine, I also have a camera scope so I will take some pictures of the inside when I am done. Should be done at some point Sunday and Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

I thought I did post all my pics, probably about 40 threads ago. If re sizing wasn't such a pita with my phone on this site, I would have a ton more up.. But I will post and resize a few now
Attached Images

Last edited by JOHNNYBRAVO1; 12-02-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
BB_cuda763.50
      12-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

3rd pic up from.bottom, I used my hot preasure washer with the small Lance gun with the white tip and blasted chunks of sludge out before I soaked it in the bucket. 2nd pic is my throttle I cleaned out and polished with wizards buffing pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

The bristled cleaning rods were dipped in the degreaser and is hooked up to my drill while using the walnut shell tool while vacume is on. The SS wire brush, is very soft bristled and worked great to get all the sludge out.. I bought 12 SS brushes and 6 blue bristled.. all from ebay. The board scope I got off ebay and hpoked it up to my android tablet, took vids and great pics.. I did also get the crank locking tool for our motors so the valves stay closed while at TDC
Attached Images

Last edited by JOHNNYBRAVO1; 12-02-2016 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #16
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

beautiful!. probably the cleanest valves I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you Johnny Bravo! Was that one gooked up port the inlet to manifold or one of the round tangential ports? I presume it was inlet to manifold. That thing was heavily caked up. Did you clean and reuse your swirl flaps or convert over to blanking plates? Sorry for all of my questions.

FYI, I remove all of the soft goods off of the manifold before hitting it with the chemicals. Those round washers with orange rubber and bronze tops are typically semi torn up upon removal and I replace as I see them distorted or smashed.

Sleeper says to put the swirls flaps in gasoline and they instantly clean up. I soaked mine overnight in earlier discussed chemical.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Wow thankyou for the compliment 🤘🤘🤘 it definitely wasn't that easy.. I went threw 2 boxs of shells and I did re use the shells inside the blaster tank. After the CBU cleaning I replaced all my actuators, change over valves, 6 new injectors, pro fi exhaust, maf/map sensors and all vacuum hoses. BPC tune #3 1000 cc meth. I have pics for all that also... also used ISTA D &P.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #19
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Thank you Johnny Bravo! Was that one gooked up port the inlet to manifold or one of the round tangential ports? I presume it was inlet to manifold. That thing was heavily caked up. Did you clean and reuse your swirl flaps or convert over to blanking plates? Sorry for all of my questions.

FYI, I remove all of the soft goods off of the manifold before hitting it with the chemicals. Those round washers with orange rubber and bronze tops are typically semi torn up upon removal and I replace as I see them distorted or smashed.

Sleeper says to put the swirls flaps in gasoline and they instantly clean up. I soaked mine overnight in earlier discussed chemical.
That's was inlet manifold ports. I took all the swirl flaps out and sathe them in a separate bucket of degreaser and then used med gloves and used an old Sonicare toothbrush🤘🤘 to scrape out the sludge and it worked great.. I did re use the swirl flaps and installed all new gaskets. I got that gaskets from FCPEURO. All my ports from EGR/ throttle body to manifold and valves were horrible. My car had 85,000 when I did the CBU. my car came from cali, but I bought it from Connecticut. My only issue was I had now low boost. As I'm sure you remeber my post LOW BOOST GONE. Changed every damn sensor and large can actuator and come to find out my 3 rear injectors had bad carbon build up and injector bodies has rust. After changing the injectors and doing all the adaptations and injector registration the car complet8woke up...hopefully after the BPC 3 tune/meth and all deletes I won't have the injector issue.. Injectors seem to be a huge problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #20
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep

After a few long days. All deletes are done. I cleaned out the intake manifold by soaking it in "citrus assault" overnight and then powerwashing it in the morning. It seems the previous owner had a CBU cleaning not too long ago as it was not that bad. Egr needed a little scrubbing with the same stuff and a toothbrush to be good as new.

Installed Buzzken downpipe, Iaknown Egr deletes, forge upgraded boost pipe, , deleted swirl valves, replaced all vacuum lines, and gutted scr.

I have a few questions tho: what do I do with the def injector line that was in the Dpf? Also, I noticed the new downpipe only has a spot for one of the temp sensors. Do most people remove the whole tank for the def? I have some time since I'm sending out my ecu tomorrow to BPC.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #21
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
After a few long days. All deletes are done. I cleaned out the intake manifold by soaking it in "citrus assault" overnight and then powerwashing it in the morning. It seems the previous owner had a CBU cleaning not too long ago as it was not that bad. Egr needed a little scrubbing with the same stuff and a toothbrush to be good as new.

Installed Buzzken downpipe, Iaknown Egr deletes, forge upgraded boost pipe, , deleted swirl valves, replaced all vacuum lines, and gutted scr.

I have a few questions tho: what do I do with the def injector line that was in the Dpf? Also, I noticed the new downpipe only has a spot for one of the temp sensors. Do most people remove the whole tank for the def? I have some time since I'm sending out my ecu tomorrow to BPC.
Use the very front EGT in that one hole close to the Ox sensor spot.

I left the DEF feed line in. I tried to remove it but ran into a mess of covers and it looks to go over the fuel tank or some big hassle. it just wasn't worth it.

Yozh wrote a thread named something like "loosing 70 lb in one day". Just go search in the mode where you look for the threads that yozh started and you'll quickly find it. My point is a number of folks have done this. TDI wrote a thread also where he closed it out with a lower cover thinking that the big hole would cause a lower body drag.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #22
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

I have my def tanks still in place, but after Christmas def tanks is the project and hopefully hybrids.
Appreciate 0