Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

12-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote for pads and discs

Needed rear pads and discs...

I did find a supplier where I could buy genuine BMW parts at a discounted rate but I ended up getting a quote from BMW for £807 for the pads and discs incl labour...So what do people think, is this a good price?

As far as the fronts go these will need to be a changed in a couple of months. BMW are quoting £1500 for parts and labour for front discs and pads and labour.

However, through my supplier I can source all the parts for £943 so if I just pay BMW for the labour I should have a saving of around £300.

Just think I got lucky with the rears as I was able to haggle the price but hoping you will all agree its a good/fair price.Before anyone says I should have gone to an Indy, I have warranty on the car that I need to maintain hence I need to go through BM

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Turks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go to an Indy while you have Warranty. A lot of expensive components to go wrong, and you don't want them to reject a Warranty claim due to having others working on your vehicle.

Some will say that this is just Brakes, however, I have heard of claims being rejected becuase the stance of the Warranty company was: If you have had some work (Brakes) carried out at independent garages, then there is no way to ensure or prove that other works have not been carried out which have contributed to the issues being claimed under Warranty.

Basically, if you are willing to avoid Main Dealer for Brakes, then you are willing to for other stuff where an indy may not have the necessary experience / knowledge.

Source your parts, and get BMW to fit (but call first to see if they are willing).

Turks.
Past:
(2014) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turks View Post
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go to an Indy while you have Warranty. A lot of expensive components to go wrong, and you don't want them to reject a Warranty claim due to having others working on your vehicle.

Some will say that this is just Brakes, however, I have heard of claims being rejected becuase the stance of the Warranty company was: If you have had some work (Brakes) carried out at independent garages, then there is no way to ensure or prove that other works have not been carried out which have contributed to the issues being claimed under Warranty.

Basically, if you are willing to avoid Main Dealer for Brakes, then you are willing to for other stuff where an indy may not have the necessary experience / knowledge.

Source your parts, and get BMW to fit (but call first to see if they are willing).

Turks.
I agree completely mate....I ended up paying BMW for the rear pads and discs at £807 as I couldnt source the parts in time....When the fronts need doing Ill supply the parts and get BMW to fit and should save approx £400
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 03:25 AM   #4
Turks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Out of interest, what mileage are you on to need your rears doing? I picked mine up a few weeks back (only driven home) and its got 13k miles on it.

Turks.
Past:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:13 AM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turks View Post
Out of interest, what mileage are you on to need your rears doing? I picked mine up a few weeks back (only driven home) and its got 13k miles on it.

Turks.
So before I bought the car when it had 17000 miles on it I did a full service history check and I honestly cant remember if pads and discs had been changed prior to my ownership....Since then (which was over 3 years ago) ive put 25000 miles on the car and only need to change them now however the lip on both the front and rear disc was/is pretty bad
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Turks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great thanks - I should be good for a couple of years then!

Turks.
Past:
Appreciate 0