E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Glow plug removal question

12-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Glow plug removal question

While I have the intake manifold off my car for CBU purposes I was going to replace the glow plugs and glow plug controller. I was getting a couple of glow plug errors but they did not point to a specific cylinder. Probably means the controller is the issue.

Anyway, I went to remove the 1st glow plug and it seems to be super tight. I am now paranoid of breaking it trying to get it out.

I sprayed them all with penetrating oil around the base and I am letting them sit for awhile.

Question: If I turn the ignition on will the glow plugs go to preheating mode? I understand that heat and penetrating oil may help, but I do not want to put a torch there. Any ideas on what is the best way to heat them up is? Thanks!
PS - it is cold in Atlanta today low 26 hi 42.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegris View Post
While I have the intake manifold off my car for CBU purposes I was going to replace the glow plugs and glow plug controller. I was getting a couple of glow plug errors but they did not point to a specific cylinder. Probably means the controller is the issue.

Anyway, I went to remove the 1st glow plug and it seems to be super tight. I am now paranoid of breaking it trying to get it out.

I sprayed them all with penetrating oil around the base and I am letting them sit for awhile.

Question: If I turn the ignition on will the glow plugs go to preheating mode? I understand that heat and penetrating oil may help, but I do not want to put a torch there. Any ideas on what is the best way to heat them up is? Thanks!
PS - it is cold in Atlanta today low 26 hi 42.
Better to warm up the engine before trying to remove the plugs.Even BMW service manual says so.

I believe you can start the engine without the manifold and let it idle for a while and then try removing them.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Better to warm up the engine before trying to remove the plugs.Even BMW service manual says so.

I believe you can start the engine without the manifold and let it idle for a while and then try removing them.
Yes. I believe it says it in bold to have the engine up to operating temperature because you can damage the threads. I can't say anything about running the engine with manifold off.
Appreciate 0