E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Need some help on sensor signals

12-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Need some help on sensor signals

Hello,

I need to appeal to some of the very knowledgeable people here for help with something:

I want to setup my water injection based on a 3D map from:

Airflow on x axis
Fueling on y axis (prefer to use Injection Quantity if available, but could substitute lamda from WB-O2 sensor if fast responding).

I've chosen the torquebyte controller. It accepts

-> 3 analog 0V-5V inputs
-> 3 logical True/False inputs
-> RPM signal (pulses per minute).

I can can get air mass flow rate in a 0V-5V signal range if I purchase and install a VW based thin film MAF. It shouldn't matter if it's not calibrated for the 335D intake because I can use the 3D mapping to adjust flow as desired based on 'what works best' (dyno runs, torque runs, apparent smoke, butt dyno, trial and error, etcetera).

But I don't know how to get fueling or Injection Quantity (IQ) as a 0V-5V analog signal.

Is there any direct or indirect fueling or IQ signal that can be used for this?

If there really isn't a direct fueling signal in the preferred form, is the O2 signal a reliable enough signal of A/F ratio or lamda value? I read that the 335D's Bosch LSU4.9 wideband O2 sensor reads between 0.65 - 2.25. lamda or (9.55 - 33 AFR range) (0.510V - 2.614V). What is response time like? (Edit: according to my yellow belt google fu, it is around 100ms or slightly faster.)

Last edited by nicklockard; 12-18-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
But I don't know how to get fueling or Injection Quantity (IQ) as a 0V-5V analog signal.

Have you tried the rail pressure sensor? I think this was how the prototype BMS JBD based water/methanol controller was setup to control injection. Might want to check with Hooper on that as he was running that.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=305
      12-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
Hello,

I need to appeal to some of the very knowledgeable people here for help with something:

I want to setup my water injection based on a 3D map from:

Airflow on x axis
Fueling on y axis (prefer to use Injection Quantity if available, but could substitute lamda from WB-O2 sensor if fast responding).

I've chosen the torquebyte controller. It accepts

-> 3 analog 0V-5V inputs
-> 3 logical True/False inputs
-> RPM signal (pulses per minute).

I can can get air mass flow rate in a 0V-5V signal range if I purchase and install a VW based thin film MAF. It shouldn't matter if it's not calibrated for the 335D intake because I can use the 3D mapping to adjust flow as desired based on 'what works best' (dyno runs, torque runs, apparent smoke, butt dyno, trial and error, etcetera).

If there really isn't a direct fueling signal in the preferred form, is the O2 signal a reliable enough signal of A/F ratio or lamda value? I read that the 335D's Bosch LSU4.9 wideband O2 sensor reads between 0.65 - 2.25. lamda or (9.55 - 33 AFR range) (0.510V - 2.614V). What is response time like?
You could use a egt temp sensor for a safety also. I just bought an unit also. Haven't installed mine yet. Are you also going to use boost pressure to adjust injection %?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Have you tried the rail pressure sensor? I think this was how the prototype BMS JBD based water/methanol controller was setup to control injection. Might want to check with Hooper on that as he was running that.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=305
Thanks Wyse. I'll be digging into that for sure. Thanks

I've edited my post to change that according to a few google links, the response time of the wideband O2 sensor appears to be around 100ms or slightly less.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
You could use a egt temp sensor for a safety also. I just bought an unit also. Haven't installed mine yet. Are you also going to use boost pressure to adjust injection %?
Yes I will use EGT signal for one of the maps.

I want to make several maps. It's one of the reasons I like the torquebyte:

1. EGR for safety of turbos (2d map)
2. A 3D map based on net turbo inefficiency (max EMP/max IMP)--so yes there's the boost pressure signal. I'll use the provided 4 bar map sensor from torquebyte. Is the EMP sensor 0V to 5V?
3. A 3D map based on NOx sensor signal (is it a 0V-5V?)* air mass flow.
4. A 3D map based on airflow and fueling as mentioned in my first post. I'll probably input RPM's on this map too if I can program it for that many variables.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Nice! Looks like you have some work cut out for you.

I'm still running the controller, very happy with the results. Definitely use the RPM signal, our cars can spool up way premature for meth injection just based off boost. Without "start at" this RPM your susceptible to quench.

You will soon learn this controller is more capable than you think. Alex @torqbyte can help with whatever, their customer service is top notch.
Appreciate 0