E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New 335D M-Sport Owner

12-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
MCooter
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D MSport

New 335D M-Sport Owner

Good morning everyone, this past week I picked up my first ever BMW. I come from the vw world, and still own a 2013 tdi (wife's car) and a 2003 gti (project car), so I know a little bit about stuff. Anyways, the bimmer I got is a 2011 335d m-sport with about 56000 miles on it. Only odd thing about the car is it was a manufacturer buyback. The stealership I bought it from didn't disclose much information about why it was bought back other than "the catalytic converters were replaced." So I did some digging, with the help of a friend that knows people, and found that the car was a California car and on its second owner repeatedly went to the dealer about every 1000 miles for a check engine light. The dealer replaced multiple things, such as the camshaft speed sensor, egr valve, and eventually the catalytic converters until they decided to just buy the car back, I assume to keep a valued customer. So from what I can tell there's an issue in the emissions system and the dealer couldn't properly diagnose it. I plan to eventually delete all of that anyways so hopefully that is all it is. But I'll definitely be coming here for help because I've spent quite a bit of time on the forum in the last few weeks and everyone seems to be quite knowledgeable and friendly. I'll post some pictures of the car later.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

uff amigo those BUY BACKS are a pain in the ass my suggestion go ahead remove all emissions system cause your bound to hate this car on the long run trust us on this. I've removed everything and never had issues after it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Bimmerguy1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 1992 Chevy CK1500

Is the car black by any chance? When I was looking for one myself I had a friend test drive one out by LA and it fits the descriptions of the car pretty well. If so, the body panels on that car weren't lined up as neatly as they should be, showing that the car was taken apart several times.

Here is the car that I was talking about (also a lemon buyback) I doubt its the same one now that I see it for sale still: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8080/overview/

Last edited by Bimmerguy1987; 12-19-2016 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
MCooter
Rep

Nope, it's white. Mine was sold by a used car dealer down in Florida. They bought it at a dealer auction after BMW "fixed it."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

This thread is worthless without pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
MCooter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
This thread is worthless without pics
Hmm.. maybe I should re-think that friendly comment... haha just kidding. Here's one I took the day I picked the car up [/URL]
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemann892 View Post
Is the car black by any chance? When I was looking for one myself I had a friend test drive one out by LA and it fits the descriptions of the car pretty well. If so, the body panels on that car weren't lined up as neatly as they should be, showing that the car was taken apart several times.

Here is the car that I was talking about (also a lemon buyback) I doubt its the same one now that I see it for sale still: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8080/overview/
Wow! It was at the dealer frequently! Crazy.

And congrats on the car, white looks good. Any other plans besides the emissions crap?
      12-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #8
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Sweet man, welcome! I'm also a TDI transplant, found a White Msport and would never go back. My stock 335 destroys my modded mk6 TDI any day, can't wait to get my mods finished in a few weeks here.
Attached Images

12-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
MCooter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
Any other plans besides the emissions crap?
A few cosmetic things like window tint, but I plan to stay in the performance area. Probably do everything but turbos. So full exhaust, egr race pipe, intercooler, meth, and tune. Maybe an lsd one day
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Nice, very reliable cars once they are put back the way they should be. I've put 20k miles (16k illiterate) on mine and enjoy it just as much today as the day I bought it. Just awesome cars.

You might want to consider some preventative maintenance as well: Diesel Fuel Filter, Trans filter/pan & fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and differential fluid all come to mind, and all are relatively easy DIY projects and great opportunities to get familiar with the D.

Enjoy!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #11
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Love the white.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
MCooter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCoal View Post
You might want to consider some preventative maintenance as well: Diesel Fuel Filter, Trans filter/pan & fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and differential fluid all come to mind, and all are relatively easy DIY projects and great opportunities to get familiar with the D.

Enjoy!!!!
Good idea! I planned to do fuel filter when I change oil, but the other stuff hadn't really come to mind. I'm pretty used to using ecs tuning to get stuff like that. Is that a good place or does anyone suggest anywhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Cat eh? Sounds fishy. DPF perhaps.

It sounds like the classic chase the tail trying to diagnose CEL in the emissions, and after X days of trying to fix the same problem breach of warranty can crop up and a buyback forced (or threat of litigation: its state specific and CA emissions is 7/70K for the D).

NOX sensors, often the DEF metering valve and such end up being the culprit.

I have a very similar Alpine M sport now at 77K humming along. Have had both NOX replaced and the DEF tank under warranty prior to 70K expiring (PA follows that rule). I suffered one injector and carbon at about 74K.

I would press to see what was fixed if possible: it should be somewhere in BMW dealer records network one would think, mostly so you know what if anything has been done.

Standard maintenance should also apply: Diesel filter every 2-3 years (was 3, then changed to 2 by BMW), basic fluids. I prefer to do the transmission fluid based on ZF's recommendation, and that's before 100K. Its not a hard DIY job if you are handy, otherwise buy the parts from CTS or similar vendors and have an indy do it (dealer cost will be pricey: 2X for the pan and ZF fluid vs aftermarket)

Otherwise welcome to the BMW masochist club: we all love the 335d for what it is and bloody hate the craptacularly designed emissions system...

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
MCooter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
Just got back from the stealership on a warranty issue. I casually asked if I could get a copy of the complete maintanence history of my DEE and the lady was happy to comply. She says..."why can't you have it I mean it's YOUR CAR". So yea. I pleased to have a small emissions related novella to read.
That's good they were so cooperative and easy about it. When I was looking at this car I tried to call and get a report about it from BMW but they wouldn't give me any information because "I wasn't the registered owner and it would be a breach of privacy." That was quite frustrating.. It's not like it's a person's medical history, it's a car!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCooter View Post
That's good they were so cooperative and easy about it. When I was looking at this car I tried to call and get a report about it from BMW but they wouldn't give me any information because "I wasn't the registered owner and it would be a breach of privacy." That was quite frustrating.. It's not like it's a person's medical history, it's a car!
People are getting dumber, I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCoal View Post
Nice, very reliable cars once they are put back the way they should be. I've put 20k miles (16k illiterate) on mine and enjoy it just as much today as the day I bought it. Just awesome cars.

Enjoy!!!!
How often do you change the fuel filter? I've been doing it every 3rd oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
Cat eh? Sounds fishy. DPF perhaps.

It sounds like the classic chase the tail trying to diagnose CEL in the emissions, and after X days of trying to fix the same problem breach of warranty can crop up and a buyback forced (or threat of litigation: its state specific and CA emissions is 7/70K for the D).

NOX sensors, often the DEF metering valve and such end up being the culprit.

I have a very similar Alpine M sport now at 77K humming along. Have had both NOX replaced and the DEF tank under warranty prior to 70K expiring (PA follows that rule). I suffered one injector and carbon at about 74K.

I would press to see what was fixed if possible: it should be somewhere in BMW dealer records network one would think, mostly so you know what if anything has been done.

Standard maintenance should also apply: Diesel filter every 2-3 years (was 3, then changed to 2 by BMW), basic fluids. I prefer to do the transmission fluid based on ZF's recommendation, and that's before 100K. Its not a hard DIY job if you are handy, otherwise buy the parts from CTS or similar vendors and have an indy do it (dealer cost will be pricey: 2X for the pan and ZF fluid vs aftermarket)

Otherwise welcome to the BMW masochist club: we all love the 335d for what it is and bloody hate the craptacularly designed emissions system...

- b
By diesel filter do you mean the fuel filter? I ordered the ZF transmission kit from FCP Euro, so it should be here next week. I'm almost at 80k miles so yea, I'm not trying to wait till I hit 100k for this.

Quote:
Good idea! I planned to do fuel filter when I change oil, but the other stuff hadn't really come to mind. I'm pretty used to using ecs tuning to get stuff like that. Is that a good place or does anyone suggest anywhere else?
I usually buy my stuff from FCP Euro. Pretty easy to use website and they offer lifetime warranty on their stuff although I've never used it..
      12-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #17
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
How often do you change the fuel filter? I've been doing it every 3rd oil change.

By diesel filter do you mean the fuel filter? I ordered the ZF transmission kit from FCP Euro, so it should be here next week. I'm almost at 80k miles so yea, I'm not trying to wait till I hit 100k for this.

I usually buy my stuff from FCP Euro. Pretty easy to use website and they offer lifetime warranty on their stuff although I've never used it..
I got my tranny filter from Bavauto, but a lot of parts from FCP when I did my CBU. There both good.. I didn't use ZF lifeguard. I used amsoil.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #18
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Yes, diesel <fuel> filter. I do it every 24K or so. Its not that expensive a filter (OEM WK part, not BMW boxed) and is a 1 beer DIY job.

The owners manual has this at every other OCI which is up to 26K with 13K OCI.

When I challenged my local dealer with this during my 4/50, I was met with a lot of resistance. 'We only do what the FOB says we can do'. That's illogical. This is a BMW manual for my car. It says every other OC. Do you have an official BMW document updating this? I don't are if a FOB was programmed, or your system says otherwise.

Show me how this BMW official manual is wrong so I can update my records when selling the car, show the maintenance was performed to BMW spec.

Eventually they relented. Not because I wanted something for free (what the SA said, to which I retorted that the maintenance cost is built into the price of the car. Its not free actually, I already paid for it. I don't think they like it when you bury them with facts), but I have a pet peev about people who refuse to think or use any common sense.

FCP Euro is a good place. I used CTS for my tranny kit, they specialize in ZF stuff and have a decent price on the fluid ZF specifies. yeah its expensive per quart and there is another shell certified fluid out there now, I was conservative and went ZF and supported a good shop.

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #19
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Hmm.. maybe I should re-think that friendly comment... haha just kidding. Here's one I took the day I picked the car up [/URL]
Ahhh yes now I remember how mine started - looks great congrats
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

MCooter, so you are the guy that swiped this 335d before I could get to it!

I was looking at a 335d Msport, white with about 55-56K miles on the clock in North Florida a few weeks back, and then got notified it was no longer available.

Congrats Man! Nice Ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #21
MCooter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
MCooter, so you are the guy that swiped this 335d before I could get to it!

I was looking at a 335d Msport, white with about 55-56K miles on the clock in North Florida a few weeks back, and then got notified it was no longer available.

Congrats Man! Nice Ride!
Haha yep, that was me! They were really rushing me through the process because of the number of people that were asking about it
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #22
mitwehrli
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

no way.. is this the one that was at World Imports in Jacksonville, FL??
Appreciate 0