E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR P0401 code - things to do before dealer

12-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

EGR P0401 code - things to do before dealer

so my car is in the shop now because of P0401 code thrown. So should be time for a good cleaning or EGR replacement. Car is in the stealership now, and i received a call where they needed to replace the air filter because it was filthy and that it could be the source of why the code is thrown. So now I am paying for the dealership to replace the filter. (filter not covered under warranty)

I asked if i could just take the car replace it myself (because save on labor) but I would still have to pay the $140 or so for them running/clear codes, drive car around, etc. So i just opted to have the dealership do the filter replacement.

good thing is that the $140 for the diagnosis can get rolled into the warranty claim if the air filter doesn't solve the issue. but still hate the idea of paying a dealership to replace a filter.

So if you go in the shop for P0401 code, replace your intake filter if you haven't done so recently! and if it fixes your EGR code problem, even better.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
so my car is in the shop now because of P0401 code thrown. So should be time for a good cleaning or EGR replacement. Car is in the stealership now, and i received a call where they needed to replace the air filter because it was filthy and that it could be the source of why the code is thrown. So now I am paying for the dealership to replace the filter. (filter not covered under warranty)

I asked if i could just take the car replace it myself (because save on labor) but I would still have to pay the $140 or so for them running/clear codes, drive car around, etc. So i just opted to have the dealership do the filter replacement.

good thing is that the $140 for the diagnosis can get rolled into the warranty claim if the air filter doesn't solve the issue. but still hate the idea of paying a dealership to replace a filter.

So if you go in the shop for P0401 code, replace your intake filter if you haven't done so recently! and if it fixes your EGR code problem, even better.
Yeah. Do that along with the blinker fuild.

I'd call BMW and complain. This is 🐴 💩
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

this was more for an FYI for ppl to prevent getting swindled into paying a dealer to replace a simple drop in air filter.

Didn't really want to really make this another stealership sob story but I have an update.

Update:
They drove the car a bunch to try to get the one computer to reset so that the check SES light would pop up again after they replaced the filter. didnt happen. I got my car back and when I did I had to pay $188 for the labor it took to diagnose the car, clear codes, driving it around etc. which i was pissed about bc I wanted that wrapped into a warranty claim. when I got home I actually read the service bill and they observed a "choked up EGR" and did some cleaning.

So I complained with BMW and will be in contact with the dealer too. you cant clean the EGR and act like the new air filter solved the EGR code that was thrown.

I still dont understand why dealerships try to prevent warranty claims, if it is under warranty just have the warranty provider pay, why little ol me?
Appreciate 0