E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Better iPod Solution

02-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
tomeng01
Vandy Bims
Rep
Drives: 330i MG/Prem/Sports/Concierge

Better iPod Solution

I, like many others, have been searching for the best possible iPod integration. Unfortunately, due to the MOST network in the car, third party companies are finding it difficult to create a seamless integration. Most of you are probably familiar with the Belkin power cord and short mini jack combination (as seen in the first picture below). But I have created an alteration to this combination, making the process a little cleaner. The final product is seen in the second picture. I will post the DIY next.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

What did you do? There's no iPod in the second picture.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
tomeng01
Vandy Bims
Rep

I will explain the DIY here and you can follow the pictures below. Its a pretty easy process that took me about one hour. I had most of the supplies around my house from previous DIY.

1 - I took apart the white clip (the end of the Belkin cable) so I could remove the hinges that attach the clip to the iPod. This will allow the iPod to attach and detach without pushing the sides of the clip, as seen in the first and second pictures.

2 - I measured the pocket in the car where the iPod rests while hooked up. From my measurements, I created a template from cardboard (for people interested in doing this I will scan and post the dimensions of the cardboard template later).

3 - Cut a piece of plastic to the size of the template. This piece of plastic is what the iPod will rest on. Next I cut another small piece of plastic, a spacer, for the Belkin clip to attach to permanently. This can be seen in the third picture.

4 – I used a zip tie to lock all three components together (plastic iPod rest, plastic spacer, and Belkin clip).

5 – I then attached a Sticky Pad to the entire structure to conceal the different parts. This also creates a surface that prevents the iPod from slipping. This is seen in the fourth and fifth pictures.

Thats all. As I mentioned before, this allows me to jump in the car drop my ipod in this holster like a desktop cradle very fast. When I get out of the car (at work, etc) I just grab it with one hand and head on my way - slide in, slide out.

I hope this is helpful for somebody. Any questions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
tomeng01
Vandy Bims
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
What did you do? There's no iPod in the second picture.
Take a look at the DIY below your post. I made a device that is not permanently in the car but is wedged in to the center pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

What's the part # for that Belkin AUX/Power device? Or where can I find it?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
What's the part # for that Belkin AUX/Power device? Or where can I find it?
Don't get the belkin - it has a poor quality pre-amp. Get the monster cable low profile i-car charger:

http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651735
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Don't get the belkin - it has a poor quality pre-amp. Get the monster cable low profile i-car charger:

http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651735
Thanks bro. Does the pre-amp matter when I'm plugging my IPOD directly into the AUX jack in the armrest??

Will this one work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-iAirPlay...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 08-29-2006 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Thanks bro. Does the pre-amp matter when I'm plugging my IPOD directly into the AUX jack in the armrest??

Will this one work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-iAirPlay...QQcmdZViewItem
Right ... you have 2 options for cabled connection between car and ipod.

Simple 3.5mm male / male 'headphone' cable from headphone socket - to aux in.

Disadvantages are that the Ipods pre-amp is is use this way and it is not designed for it. Sound quality will suffer. Plus you don't get to charge your pod.

The monster cable connects to the bottom of the ipod (dock connecter). You get to charge your pod and use a true 'line out' unamplified signal. In this set up your ipod volume control is redundant - because the ipods amp is bypassed.

You still need the 3.5mm cable though and it's not included with the monster one.

The link you posted is for an AIRLINE charger - it's no good - you need the one I linked to which connects to the accessory socket in the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Right ... you have 2 options for cabled connection between car and ipod.

Simple 3.5mm male / male 'headphone' cable from headphone socket - to aux in.

Disadvantages are that the Ipods pre-amp is is use this way and it is not designed for it. Sound quality will suffer. Plus you don't get to charge your pod.

The monster cable connects to the bottom of the ipod (dock connecter). You get to charge your pod and use a true 'line out' unamplified signal. In this set up your ipod volume control is redundant - because the ipods amp is bypassed.

You still need the 3.5mm cable though and it's not included with the monster one.

The link you posted is for an AIRLINE charger - it's no good - you need the one I linked to which connects to the accessory socket in the armrest.
..Good info. The AIRLINE charger has a power socket adapter as well as the airplane socket adapter. The product that you suggested does seem superior though. I'm trying to find one on Ebay.
Appreciate 0