E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 10 months later....

12-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #1
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

10 months later....

she runs! Major props to 335dsleeper for hooking me up with some injectors.

Its late and I will update later but long and short is I took my car apart back in March and for lots of reasons it has sat since. As of about an hour ago she is running again, not smoothly, but running.

FYI battery charger on boost-0, 2001 F350 7.3 and jumper cables- every time
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

damn what was your major malfunction?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Uh oh. What were your problems. Please share.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #4
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the delayed reply, been crazy busy.

Last March I took the car apart for CBU cleaning, while it was apart I pulled the injectors, took two apart (since they were throwing codes anyway) Sent all 6 out for testing, 3 failed. More or less put the project on hold after looking up injector pricing, and considering I had two other vehicles it fell low on the priority list.

Sold one of my other two, been driving my 01 F350 CC, DRW, 6spd around. Recently Ryan (335dsleeper) offered me 4 of his take out injectors for a price I could not turn down.

I got them an decided it was time to put her back in the garage. Which in and of itself was a hell of a challenge, as my garage had become a 1/2 storage 1/2 wood working shop... Luckily a buddy of mine needed to borrow my truck, so I conned a night of garage clean up out of him.

Got the car in to find that the #5 and #6 cyl were full of water... and the cabin air intake and blower motor were full of acorns. Did not take long to realize the chipmunks had eaten all my protective covering and tape off the engine and make it their home. Needless to say there is a bounty on them all come spring, my .177 is going to get a work out. Luckily I had fogged all cyl prior to 'capping' the holes. I removed all water with my extractor and filled them up with kroil. lots of cleaning and actions that I can not explain in text, but I got them all clean and it was not seized.

Put it all back together, again no easy task after 10 months of not looking at it, and spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to fire. Lots of issues getting it to prime, even with jumping the in tank pump. Finally was able to build pressure and it fired over. In the doing so, the battery - which had already died from sitting- was not happy. The changer/jumper was not cutting it, so I hooked it up to the truck, which was happy to spin the starter and get her to fire up. (in retrospect I believe much of my delay in starting was that I did not have enough battery to spin the motor, even when on boost)

As of now, I have put ~45 miles on her, initially I had lots of codes, I just cleared them all and did not even look at them. Next check I had cyl3 out of adaptive tolerance and cyl 6 misfire, and some egr codes. :clear: Drove the male genitalia out of her for a bit and cyl 6 codes went away, cyl 3 upgraded to a misfire, and the egr is still not happy.

Honestly for having sat as long as it did, a dead battery, water in the cyl, and 3 random unknown (and 3 now out of place) injectors thrown in, it is doing WAY better than I expected.

Going to pick up some software that will allow me to program the injectors to the cyl/comp. Still not sure why the egr is throwing codes but will figure it out.

In the mean time today I had a windshield installed. Damn thing chipped ~4 years ago the first weekend I had the car, then ate a road stone hard 2 years ago and been bad. $150 (my cost) installed for new glass, looks purty. And I took advantage of the nice day yest to give her a much needed bath, needs about 4 more to be clean but its a start.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valves View Post
damn what was your major malfunction?
time/money/space/money/gf/puppy/time...
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So far after 75 mile on it only real codes are cyl 3 out of mass adaption, and a couple random misfires that come and go, still have not registered the injectors to the computer though.

Also had an ERG code, kept going into limp mode. Turns out my chipmunk friends put an acorn in my EGR cooler, and it got into the valve were it stuck it open, got it all cleaned out and runs MUCH better now.

Slowly but surely getting her going. Now its going to be time to start playing with her a bit.
Appreciate 0