E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V2 installation - software problems.

04-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

V2 installation - software problems.

Hi everyone
Guess i really am an unlucky procede user.
Here's the first post describing my problems:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129018

And here is what we did on the installation of recently received v2 box (car #1, 07 335i, MT):
1. Did all the wiring. The car started with bypasses without errors.
2. Connected procede. No errors.
3. Tried it on the road (after driving about 50 miles): got limp mode on 4000 rpm at 3rd gear. The day after got into limp mode at 6500 rpm on the 2nd.
4. Decided to upgrade firmware / install latest maps.
5. During upgrade to pro01v03beta1-1 (downloaded from your post with latest firmware), the software indicated erasing of the old firmware and suddenly showed an error uploading the new one. the message said “firmware upgrade failed, please upgrade again”. After this, we could not connect to the procede unit, it would show its offline all the time.
6. The car is now on bypasses.
QUESTION 1: Is there a way to fix the unit (get it back to online mode) and upload correct version of firmware?

Almost the same thing has happened during upgrade to v2 from v147 (my car - 06 335i, MT).
1. Did the wiring. No errors.
2. During firmware upgrade (same file as above), the software erased the old firmware, but again showed an error during v2 install. The box went offline and we could not get it back online. When trying to reconnect, the software said something like “ECU is in a boot mode”, showing “offline” status all the time.
3. That car is now on bypasses too.
QUESTION 2: Can that unit be fixed without sending it to the U.S.?

QUESTION 3: Is driving on bypasses absolutely safe for the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injecto View Post
Hi everyone

And here is what we did on the installation of recently received v2 box (car #1, 07 335i, MT):
3. Tried it on the road (after driving about 50 miles): got limp mode on 4000 rpm at 3rd gear. The day after got into limp mode at 6500 rpm on the 2nd.
5. During upgrade to pro01v03beta1-1 (downloaded from your post with latest firmware), the software indicated erasing of the old firmware and suddenly showed an error uploading the new one. the message said “firmware upgrade failed, please upgrade again”. After this, we could not connect to the procede unit, it would show its offline all the time.
QUESTION 1: Is there a way to fix the unit (get it back to online mode) and upload correct version of firmware?

Almost the same thing has happened during upgrade to v2 from v147 (my car - 06 335i, MT).
2. During firmware upgrade (same file as above), the software erased the old firmware, but again showed an error during v2 install. The box went offline and we could not get it back online. When trying to reconnect, the software said something like “ECU is in a boot mode”, showing “offline” status all the time.

Yes with the bypass plugs its okay to drive....I would download the Procede Reader software again and also the firmware and Maps because the download could have been corrupted by a virus of some kind...Just erased everything on the computer and download it again from the Vishnu site...Make sure the car is at ignition on postion with guages on but don't start the car. Then plug the usb and and the Procede Reader!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Black Chili
IT geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Black Saphire Metalic

My only suggestion would be to find anyone else in Moscow with a Procede and sport him/her a few rubles to borrow there unit for a test drive. If all goes well, you either have a defective Procede or you had a latent computer problem that is holding you back or did f-up your Procede.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Mr_T
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Blindfolded

Quote:
Hi everyone

The software is a bit flakey.....try closing out the software completely...maybe even a reboot of your PC.

Launch the software and load up the firmware (not the map)..then try and connect again....give it time...it should load.

'07 E90 Jet Black/Black Leather | ZSP| ZPP | ZCW | AT | Paddles | Hartge Lip (Rep) | Blacklines | Ultimate Racing CAI | PROcede v2.0.2-26
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Yes with the bypass plugs its okay to drive....I would download the Procede Reader software again and also the firmware and Maps because the download could have been corrupted by a virus of some kind...Just erased everything on the computer and download it again from the Vishnu site...Make sure the car is at ignition on postion with guages on but don't start the car. Then plug the usb and and the Procede Reader!
Not sure it'll help because the software doesn't detect the ECU at all. We tried to install the software on another computer and had the same results.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Shark View Post
My only suggestion would be to find anyone else in Moscow with a Procede and sport him/her a few rubles to borrow there unit for a test drive. If all goes well, you either have a defective Procede or you had a latent computer problem that is holding you back or did f-up your Procede.
Already did. The problem is in the Procede unit, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
per
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Have you tryed this solution for boot mode?

[QUOTE=Dustin@Vishnu;2134253]I have had a few people whose PROcede has gone into boot mode after trying to update their firmware. This can happen for a number of reasons, like a laptop dying in the middle of the firmware update. Getting everything back to normal is quite simple.

When you try to connect to the procede after a failed firmware update, the software will say "Procede in boot mode, please update firmware."

1. Go into comms> Firmware update, and update the firmware the same as you would otherwise.
2. At the end of the firmware update, the Procede will be stuck in the reset, and will not go online. So we need to manually reset the procede. To do this, shut down the Procede software, as well as the power to the procede (turn the car off). Leave the power off for at least 1 minute.
3. Turn the car back to the on postion, and restart the software.
      04-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep

[QUOTE=per;2481238]Have you tryed this solution for boot mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
I have had a few people whose PROcede has gone into boot mode after trying to update their firmware. This can happen for a number of reasons, like a laptop dying in the middle of the firmware update. Getting everything back to normal is quite simple.

When you try to connect to the procede after a failed firmware update, the software will say "Procede in boot mode, please update firmware."

1. Go into comms> Firmware update, and update the firmware the same as you would otherwise.
2. At the end of the firmware update, the Procede will be stuck in the reset, and will not go online. So we need to manually reset the procede. To do this, shut down the Procede software, as well as the power to the procede (turn the car off). Leave the power off for at least 1 minute.
When we tried to run the firmware update it said something like "update can not be completed, try again". And yes we tried to leave the power off, it didnt help.
Both times when the update failed there were no problems with the laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Mr_T
Brigadier General
Rep

[QUOTE=Injecto;2481257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by per View Post
Have you tryed this solution for boot mode?

When we tried to run the firmware update it said something like "update can not be completed, try again". And yes we tried to leave the power off, it didnt help.
Both times when the update failed there were no problems with the laptop.
You should have the power on when updating, without the engine running. Again....Start over form scratch as both I and Injecto suggest.

'07 E90 Jet Black/Black Leather | ZSP| ZPP | ZCW | AT | Paddles | Hartge Lip (Rep) | Blacklines | Ultimate Racing CAI | PROcede v2.0.2-26
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Druzeskii sovet. Vibrosi eto Induskoe dermo v musorku ili poprobuii prodat'. U menya stol'ko problem s nim bilo za celii god nesaschetat'! Poprobuii JBX vmesto. Bol'she duri i ne odnoi' problemi.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
bernpep
BMWCCA member #2429
Rep
Drives: '12M.C.Blue M3, '16 targa 4S

I feel for you, but why do people complain abour Dinan when this kind of crap happens. The stress alone is worth buying the Dinan over procede.
Like Simon says,I know I'll hear about this!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Last ditch effort would be to remove the procede and send it back to vishnu for evaluation. On very rare occassions you will get a bad v2 unit.

Only do this if all else fails.
      04-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep

Shiv, Dustin, any comments?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
EC1060
Rep
Drives: 07 335 MT

Car #1 is mine. Would be nice to get some customer suport for a $ 1500 product.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #15
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Last ditch effort would be to remove the procede and send it back to vishnu for evaluation. On very rare occassions you will get a bad v2 unit.

Only do this if all else fails.
Mine was such where the procede unit was faulty. I would not rule out that possibility. No one thought there was such a thing. And i was the first.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
Mr_T
Brigadier General
Rep

PM Dustin@Vishnu, he typically responds within 24hrs., if not sooner.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
Mr_T
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
I have had a few people whose PROcede has gone into boot mode after trying to update their firmware. This can happen for a number of reasons, like a laptop dying in the middle of the firmware update. Getting everything back to normal is quite simple.

With this done, you should be able to connect to the procede, as you normally would. Although in the process of doing this, you have cleared all of the firmware and maps from the unit, so you will need to update the firmware one last time. So long as that goes through, you can update your map, and be on your merry way.
A few things I would add:

Car off = Keyfob out of ingition
Car on = Just the power, not the motor.
Follow the instructions exactly..give it some time.

Goodluck

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #18
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Mine was such where the procede unit was faulty. I would not rule out that possibility. No one thought there was such a thing. And i was the first.
I remember that. Unfortunately I was next. I mean, it's so rare when it happens, but if all else fails it needs to be checked. I guess he could get a power meter, and have Dustin walk him through checking it out....that might save him from removing the entire unit.

Again...chances are low for this, but it happens!

Mine runs great now by the way....I'm very happy with everything.
      04-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #19
Injecto
Russian Federation
Rep

So far I still have no idea what to do next. Driving with bypasses is not much of a pleasure.
Help is greatly appreciated.
Still waiting for a response from Dustin/Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
So far I still have no idea what to do next. Driving with bypasses is not much of a pleasure.

Gl

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Use Tech support:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/tech_callback.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #22
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I have had this problem where the firmware fails while uploading...

Try this... First make sure you are using PROcede Reader 2.0 if your running v2.
Second make sure you have the latest firmware and maps which is dated 2-26-2008.

Open up Procede Reader and go in to
Comms >> Reset ECU

This will clear the procede and put it into boot mode. After this follow the directions that were given by Dustin@Vishnu.

Make sure during this that your IGN is in the on position (gas gauge at gas level).

You may also want to check your serial connection and make sure it is plugged into the procede correctly.