E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Am I Just A Sucker!?!?

04-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
mikerez
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i & 2000 Z3 2.8 Rdstr

Am I Just A Sucker!?!?

OK, so I'll be the first to admit I have a car-buying problem... I've purchased way to many vehicals over the past few years. So one would think that I would get better at it over time... but I think I'm going soft in my old age and am maybe leaving too much money on the table. Here is my brief story: (the question is down below if you wish to skip the background)

I just ordered my new Montego Blue 328i (sport, bluetooth, sirius, ipod, power memory heated seats, comfort). I am fortunate enough to have two BMW dealerships within 15 miles of eachother (and I have purchased new BMWs from both of them), so I stopped by the first stealership and got an initial fees for a lease (residual, money factor, doc fees, acquisition, etc.). Then I read the forums and finally I stopped by the second Dealership. Now, as noted before, I have purchased new bimmers from both dealerships. The salesperson and sales-manager at the second dealership were the same guys that I ordered my last BMW from. Right out of the gate, with NO (zero, ziltch) negotiation, they offered me a great deal on a lease:

36-month 12,000 miles/year
63% Residual
.00160 Money Factor
$575 Acquisition fee
NO Other Fees - just actual cost for tax, title and license.
Car was offered at almost exactly $2000 over invoice
w/ a $500 fully-refundable deposit and $2,000 cap reduction
$3,220 total due at signing
I'm looking at $469/month including tax

Compared to the amount of fees and other junk the other dealership wanted, this was a no-brainer. So I called the salesperson back and made a counter offer... I said I wanted to pay a total $3,000 due at signing so please knock another $220 off the price of the car.

He gave the typical sob story about how there is almost no profit left in this car and they did their best to give me a great price right out of the gate. Then he spoke with the sales manager and agreed to knock another $120 off the price of the car and I just agreed without any fight.

SO... here's my question: Is it really worth it to try to put the screws to a salesperson for an extra few hundred bucks when you are buying a $40,000 sports car? ...especially when they are generally very fair and easy to work with? In my younger days, I might have fought with him and soured the relationship over a few hundred bucks. But now it just doesn't seem worth it to fight over a couple hundred if I'm satisfied with the dealership, salesperson, and the deal.

Am I becoming a sucker in my old age?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The real question is if it's worth it to you. I sent my SA an email last night asking for another $500 off, because it brings my payment to $650 which to me is a very important number. That's the number I wanted to hit at most in my head, so instead of "well it's just a little over, just pay a little more and you were close enough", "You're right, it is close, now take off $500 and it'll be where I want".

You have to set limits and get what you want or be willing to walk away. If I walk away from this car, I can pay off my current car and tuck away that $650 a month into savings. If I don't get the numbers I want then I have no problem with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

^^ well said sir...exactly my thinking.
Appreciate 0