E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cold Weather Tuning.

01-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
1fastt2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cold Weather Tuning.

Since a lot of us are right in the middle of winter and there are also some of us doing some mods I was wondering if there are any downsides to tuning in the colder weather?

I just recently got my car up and running and like most are anxious to try things out. I really would like to have a custom tune done but was wondering if its better off to wait for warmer weather?

Mainly I'm concerned about the winter blend fuels that I know are being used in the middle of January in the Northeast. I'd hate to shell out cash now for a tune only to realize things need to change for the warmer weather in a few months.

Let me hear your thoughts...
      01-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

A good tuner should be able to tune the car well in this weather and have it translate well in warmer weather. If anything, sending him a datalog as it warms up just to make any small changes should be free of charge assuming no changes in modifications. It's really going to be a question for the tuner and his capabilities/limitations.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If anything, sending him a datalog as it warms up just to make any small changes should be free of charge assuming no changes in modifications.
If anything, I'd imagine that would be the other way around; depending on their tuning style of course.

I would think that tuning under the most negative DA conditions you ever imagine encountering would be the preferred method; that way you'll avoid actual load overshooting requested load in colder weather and therefore won't have to adjust load targets more times than necessary in order to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

During warm weather actual load decreases, and during colder weather actual load increases provided the DME sees true values per the conditions and is not being masked or the scaling is exaggerated ie the tables are scaled so much its reporting lower load than it should be. There need to be enough "Load Req" in overhead to compensate for the colder weather

During cooler weather its possible to run more advances timing, but during warmer weather you may not be able to run the same timing and it will have to be decreased.

The tables CAN BE calibrated in order to compensate for hot and cold weather in your geography but will require tweaks during hot and cold seasons

Some tuners already have base maps to compensate for both hot and cold so when tuning is complete, regardless of the time of season, there is no need for additional tweaks when the weather changes. Another way is to have two optimized maps for warm and cold seasons. It can be done either way.

So in a nutshell it doesn't really matter with a good tuner unless your tuning, wanting to get every single bit of whp to take advantage of the weather conditions.
Appreciate 3