E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake pad / rotor wear maintenance trigger

01-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
OceanView18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Smile Brake pad / rotor wear maintenance trigger

I have until June before my scheduled maintenance / warranty coverage expires but my brakes are really worn, both front and rear. According to the maintenance computer - i have to wait 17,000 for the fronts, and only about 3,200 miles for the rears. Here's the scenario I'm trying to avoid - if I bring the car in to the dealer, for the rear brakes , even though it's not quite at 0 miles yet, and the dealer says, well you're not at the amount of wear that would necessitate the maintenance work - is there some way I can check this myself without putting the car on a lift? The dealer is quite far from me so I'm wondering if I can have a local shop check rotor / pad wear before I try to take it to BMW. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If the pads are worn to the point where the replacement sensor wear through and triggers the maintenance alert, the dealer will replace them. The mileage shown in i-drive is an estimate based on the wear of the pads when reset through the first wire in the sensor. The change pads now alert may occur before they get to 0 miles or after. My rear pads got replaced but the reset of the maintenance reminder was botched and they've been showing 3100 miles left on pads for the past 16k miles.

If the sensor is not tripped, they will probably say it is not needed.
      01-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
OceanView18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

thanks - I'm in that boat somewhat now - where the rear brake replacement mileage has been at 3,200 for awhile, but not 16,000 miles or so anything yet - i actually got a call back from my dealer saying that I can just go get a loaner form them while they look at it and I'll try to convince them to make the change but if it didn't trip the sensor, then it'll be hard as you said
Appreciate 0