ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Z4 M - Adding Sub, Fixing Nav, Upgrading Alarm????

Hi-
Read what I have going on and let me know if you think I might have a problem:

I am having ABT electronics (really big electronics giant in Chicago) install a JL Audio 10W6 and JL Audio 250/1 amp to my car to improve the sound quality next weekend.

The following Monday the 28th, I am having the Dealer conduct my 1200 mile service, upgrade my security in my car to the shock sensor/alarm and repair my navigation system (we suspect it is the antenna after the firmware upgrade did nothing).

My concern is the order of the install. Will the sub/amp in the trunk hinder the install of the alarm or repair of the GPS antenna? I don't wan't the dealer to cry foul b/c they have to remove my sub/amp to get to something? Also, I don't want them to blame in problems on my speaker install...

Also, anyone used this sub before? It is supposed to be musical and not boomy like some of the other crap out there.

Last edited by Burt Reynolds; 04-19-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i honestly think you should hold off on the amp. The stock sound system is amazing to me. Especially the echo through the back of the seats. Have 1200 mile service done then decide if you still want the amp.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Let me clarify- amp and speakers remain stock. This is a monoblock amp for 1 sub that I will run off the factory sub lead. The guy at the shop will tune it to integrate with my speakers while allowing them to do the easier job of playing higher frequencies (less distortion as a result). The idea is to get fast/accurate sound without the boom. The shop was working on a brand new Maserati, 997S, and a factory 5 Cobra today so I am not worried about gangster sound

Also, the install will be custom so it looks like a factory option and not a cheap truck box thrown into my car. Also, the enclosure will be made to fit next to the battery without extending into the rest of my trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
Alpine M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver/Red Z4MC

Sorry to say, but the guy at the shop cannot "tune" your speakers to lower distortion unless he is:
a) modifying the factory amplifier's DSP
b) putting in in-line caps to high-pass them.

The subwoofer install he is doing will work well, however, the factory M Coupe stereo (with Nav) has some seriously messed up EQ on the subwoofer channel. I have some readings of the factory system response that I'll try and dig up for you later.

The worst part of the factory stereo are the subwoofers, so removing/disconnecting them and replacing them will do wonders, but it won't decrease any distortions from the other speakers.

I'm looking forward to your install though ... sounds like what I have planned.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
The following Monday the 28th, I am having the Dealer conduct my 1200 mile service, upgrade my security in my car to the shock sensor/alarm and repair my navigation system (we suspect it is the antenna after the firmware upgrade did nothing).
Palantirion (Earl) over on Bimmerfest replaced his antenna recently, so check with him to see what's involved in removing/replacing it. My experience with dealers is that few have done any real work on Z4Ms and it's best to go in knowing as much as you can, because they won't know much themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

good tip on the antenna. I will check it out. I am not sure what they have planed for the main speakers...I doubt they will be using caps or crossovers or at least I don't believe I paid for that. If doesn't sound good I will have a different discussion with them.

I assume they are disconnecting the factory sub (not removing). Since the factory amp is not a mono amp (factory multi-channel amps share power with all channels) and the factory subs are probably the biggest drain on the factory multi-channel amp- I would assume this would free up dynamic head room for the rest of the speakers which may lower system distortion. Just a thought...Someone that is more of an expert on this cars audio system maybe can chime in.

To be honest these guys seemed like they knew what they were talking about. If it was home audio, that is more my thing...In the meantime, I will probably move forward with this but still am concerned about doing it before they repair my GPS.

Thanks

Last edited by Burt Reynolds; 04-19-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

D'oh...I know someone that works there that could help you out on pricing a bit the next time you're there. I've bought almost all my appliances and my TV through him and been happy. Sorry for the shameless plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
good tip on the antenna. I will check it out. I am not sure what they have planed for the main speakers...I doubt they will be using caps or crossovers or at least I don't believe I paid for that. If doesn't sound good I will have a different discussion with them.

I assume they are disconnecting the factory sub (not removing). Since the factory amp is not a mono amp (factory multi-channel amps share power with all channels) and the factory subs are probably the biggest drain on the factory multi-channel amp- I would assume this would free up dynamic head room for the rest of the speakers which may lower system distortion. Just a thought...Someone that is more of an expert on this cars audio system maybe can chime in.

To be honest these guys seemed like they knew what they were talking about. If it was home audio, that is more my thing...In the meantime, I will probably move forward with this but still am concerned about doing it before they repair my GPS.

Thanks

Please hold off: let the dealer fix the NAV then get your upgrade. On the system install: Here is some importanat info on the BMW M coupes system please make sure you read this before the install: It is all the details of the M coupe system by BMW.
I have a PDF that I can e-mail you.
fasttoys@charter.net

+ did you look at this company? Great guys & they will have a nice system soon all plug & play.www.bavsound.com
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

BSW has been promising a Z-specific plug-n-play upgrade since the Zs came out. Nothing yet. Look in bimmerforums and there are YEARS of posts of people asking them to support the Z, myself included. I gave up and did my own upgrade. I encourage the OP to do the same... AFTER he gets the rest of those little nits fixed by the dealer.
Appreciate 0