E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Those with V1.. have you gotten a speeding ticket since you bought one?

04-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Those with V1.. have you gotten a speeding ticket since you bought one?

Has anyone been unlucky enough to have gotten a speeding ticket with their V1s turned on and working?

and if you did get pulled over, did you quickly remove the V1 ? or just left it there out in the open?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I have had my V1 for about 6 years. Never had a ticket before my 335.

1. Lasered in a moderately heavy traffic on a toll road. He was hiding in the shadows of an overpass. "Why me" ..."Sign here"
2. He comes off a ramp and tags me in heavy traffic. "Why me"..."Sign here"
3.Going down an empty service road. No signal on V1. He was in a parking lot and "heard I was speeding" Caught up to me. This one I was lucky. 130..tapped me for 65.

Mine has always been mounted in the top left corner of the glass. Easier to glance at and is probably the most concealed spot other than grill mount. Cops here don't care if you have radars. "Just sign here".

The 335 is history and I am loving my new machine.
      04-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
No tickets yet. (knock on wood).
Lust this week, I was saved 3 times on one day.

Laser is tough. when it goes off, it might be too late.
This time, I was able to spot the cop and slow down before he hit me.
When the V1 went off, I was back at 35MPH.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
and1bball919
It's not just about horsepower, but how powerful your horses are.
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG Delivery truck

NO helped everytime
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
RALFnotralph
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi, 97' 328is

when u say why me sign here..what do u mean
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
I've had a V1 for the last ten years. It has literally saved me from hundreds of tickets so it's been well worth the cost. I got my first ticket with the V1 a couple months ago when I got nailed with laser.

If laser jammers are legal in your state, get one! I'm unlucky enough to live in one of the few states where they're illegal.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
I've had a V1 for the last ten years. It has literally saved me from hundreds of tickets so it's been well worth the cost. I got my first ticket with the V1 a couple months ago when I got nailed with laser.

If laser jammers are legal in your state, get one! I'm unlucky enough to live in one of the few states where they're illegal.
A ticket for a jammer is better than a speeding ticket from what I recall reading. Besides you can claim it's a parking aid.
      04-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

just installed V1 yesterday... so no tickets for me .......... yet
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

I've read that Lasers require the cop to be standing outside of his vehicle? and at what distance can he start tracking your speed? anyone know?

and with most other radars, K, and Ka/Ku bands, do most cops just leave the gun on scan rather than pointing directly at specific cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm not sure what the penalty is for getting caught with a jammer; I'm sure it depends on the state. What matters more though is whether the cops in your area use jammer-detecting guns. If so, you could get a ticket when you're not even speeding, which would defintiely put the jammer in the "not worth it" category. And even if they don't have jammer detectors now, you never know when they might get them.

I had always thought that laser guns required the cop to hit you from directly in front or behind, so I was suprised when I got nailed by a cop parked way up a side street. Sucks... I'm very paranoid now.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
silversurfer
TiAg, ZPP, ZSP, Nav, CA, 6FL, butt warmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Nope. 5 great saves on my V1 since I bought it in mid March this year. I notice that I'm a much more observant driver now that I have the V1 (gotta love the arrow!).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

I've never had a ticket with out without a radar detector. Generally go everywhere about 10-15 over posted limit. Remember that a detector is a tool and doesn't replace keeping your eyes open and common sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:

I had always thought that laser guns required the cop to hit you from directly in front or behind, so I was suprised when I got nailed by a cop parked way up a side street. Sucks... I'm very paranoid now.

Laser works on the same principle as radar. The doppler effect. Therefore the user of the detection device must be either in front or behind the speeding vehicle to receive an accurate reading. It is not possible for a cop to get you from the side with radar or laser. If they do, then they are lying. They must hit the front or back of the car, and if they are on an angle it will only give a slower reading than actual.

Radar can be mounted inside the cop car, and can also be used while driving. The beam is wide and diffuse, which is why radar detectors work so well. They can detect the radar beam long before the radar can read your speed.

Laser, however, must be used by hand. The gun is aimed directly at the car with a target sight, just like a rifle. The laser works instantly, so the beam does not need to be on all the time. Instead the cop waits for his target in the sights and pings for only a fraction of a second. This is why laser detectors are not as effective as radar. By the time your detector recognizes the signal, you have probably already been hit. So the beeping of your detector just means.... "hey dumbass, you just got pinged. Go ahead and pull over."

The most likely scenario for finding a cop with laser would be in a residential area with a low speed limit. The police will often be on foot, and hide in the bushes. They ping you as you approach, and then walk into the street in front of you. Point you to the side street and write your ticket.

Radar is more common on the highway, since the police can sit in their car ready to go. They will often sit on the side of the highway in a hidden area.

Laser is becoming more common on highways. As time progresses, more departments are getting laser guns. The laser guns are expensive, but our insurance companies love to buy the guns for the cops. The reason? Simple. Our insurance companies want the cops to write more tickets so we have to pay more premiums.

On a highway, there are some common scenarios for laser equipped cops.

1. Lone cop, on the side of the road. He will stand just outside the door, with laser in hand. He pings cars as they go by, and then quickly gets in the car and drives after the offenders.

2. Wolf packs. This scenario involves 1 or more cops with laser guns and radios, and a group of cops in cars down the road. The laser guys ping the cars and then radio ahead to the wolf pack. I have seen this scenario used in California, with the cops standing on overpasses pinging cars below. Then they radio ahead for help.

I have not received a ticket since I got my V1. I have been on the highway and usually encounter radar. Only twice have I seen laser on the highway. Interstate 95 in Northern Florida. Both times, my V1 alerted me just in the nick of time. The cop must have been pinging cars ahead of me, and my detector got the stray signal. I slowed down quick, and then saw him hitting me. Close calls both times, but the V1 did the job.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
2. Wolf packs. This scenario involves 1 or more cops with laser guns and radios, and a group of cops in cars down the road. The laser guys ping the cars and then radio ahead to the wolf pack. I have seen this scenario used in California, with the cops standing on overpasses pinging cars below. Then they radio ahead for help.
wow.. good info... that wolf pack theory is making me worried now... I wonder how that would hold up in court since the officer giving the citation is not the officer who clocked your speed? so they have no proof?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

is it true that with laser cops detect if u have a radar detector?
      04-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
is it true that with laser cops detect if u have a radar detector?
No (if all the cop has is a Laser). On the other hand, any radar detector that detects LASER also detects RADAR, and many cops have Radar Detector Detectors (RDD's). If (Radar) detectors are illegal in your state / province, there is currently only 1 detector made that doesn't activate the newer RDD's: Beltronics STi
      04-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #17
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Laser works on the same principle as radar. The doppler effect. Therefore the user of the detection device must be either in front or behind the speeding vehicle to receive an accurate reading. It is not possible for a cop to get you from the side with radar or laser. If they do, then they are lying. They must hit the front or back of the car, and if they are on an angle it will only give a slower reading than actual.
Well, I was actually quite a ways past the intersection when he hit me, and I was actually going faster than what he ticketed me for, so maybe he just went with the erroneous lower speed. On the other hand, there were no cars in my peripheral vision as I went through the intersection, so he must've been parked up the street some.

I think the laser detector has a little value, in that it can also detect the beam bouncing off of the cars in front of you.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I think the laser detector has a little value, in that it can also detect the beam bouncing off of the cars in front of you.
Agreed. Like I said, my laser detector has saved me on the highway a couple of times. But the warning I received was VERY brief. I had to react quickly to not get caught.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
No (if all the cop has is a Laser). On the other hand, any radar detector that detects LASER also detects RADAR, and many cops have Radar Detector Detectors (RDD's). If (Radar) detectors are illegal in your state / province, there is currently only 1 detector made that doesn't activate the newer RDD's: Beltronics STi

Radar detectors are legal in all USA states except for:

Virginia
Washington, DC.

So unless you live in VA or DC, or drive through there often, you don't need to worry about having an "invisible" radar detector.

I grew up in Washington DC, and have had a V1 since I began driving. I always left it on my windshield, and never received a ticket. I drove in Virginia frequently and also had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #20
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
wow.. good info... that wolf pack theory is making me worried now... I wonder how that would hold up in court since the officer giving the citation is not the officer who clocked your speed? so they have no proof?
Lots of states do these -- I see Wisconsin state patrol do 'em all the time with radar. One guy will park on an overpass or at the top of a hill (like a farm field) on the outside of a curve and radio ahead his hits. I understand a few states have laws requiring the offer who took the reading to write the ticket, but they're the exception rather than the rule.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
itsxtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nice

What about when you park, do you put the detector into the glove?

Since GPS theft has started going up, is there a lot of radar detector theft?
      04-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #22
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsxtian View Post
What about when you park, do you put the detector into the glove?

Since GPS theft has started going up, is there a lot of radar detector theft?
I would imagine so.. I would hide the radar detector in the glovebox while parked... but then again that applies to anything like laptops or purses, ipods etc..
Appreciate 0