THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA new car questions for a newbie

03-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

new car questions for a newbie

ok, will ask for no pre wash at delivery. Read about all the procedures on properly washing a car and to be honest, I don't think I am up for it and will probably damage the paint. In the past, I used dishsoap to wash my Volvo.

Where can I take my new car for a proper wash in Vancouver, BC?
Is there a proper way to peel off the plastic?

Now that I'm getting run flats, do I need to check the tire pressure as much?

Would you recommend getting tire insurance? I do mostly local driving, max 30 mins each way and about twice a year, I may drive down to Seattle. I am looking forward to driving down to California with the new car though.

Since I've already negotiated the sale price, is it possible to still get free stuff or discounts on mats, tire insurance and grills prior to paying?

I don't want to be kicking myself later for forgetting simple stuff but I don't change cars often.

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited by Gabbykat; 03-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: New questions
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
i specifically asked for no pre-wash as i was bringing my car to a detailer after pick up. but they forgot and washed it anyways. good thing was there wasnt anything remarkable found.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Every dealership does a poor job of washing. Take a close look at your volvo (if you still have it), crouch down so the light reflect at around a 100 degrees angle. You'll see hairline scratches on the paint. That's swirls. Instruct your CA to put a note on your file to NOT wash the car during their pre-delivery prep. They will insist that their detailers do a good job; don't fall for it. Insist that you want first touch of the paint.

Yes, tire pressure is still important even for RTF.

Trying to get free stuff after the fact is likely a no go. Doesn't hurt to ask, but don't bank on it.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

I can and will probably do the two bucket method after watching videos but the polishing or buffering is still intimidating.

Is that something a novice can figure out or should it be left to the pros?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qJai View Post
i specifically asked for no pre-wash as i was bringing my car to a detailer after pick up. but they forgot and washed it anyways. good thing was there wasnt anything remarkable found.
Can I ask what you got done to your new car?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
90%sio glass coating
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbby View Post
I can and will probably do the two bucket method after watching videos but the polishing or buffering is still intimidating.

Is that something a novice can figure out or should it be left to the pros?
The dealership isn't likely to polish and wax the car for you. They'll just wash it. If polishing intimidates you, you can skip it and go straight to waxing. Polishing is only needed for the very picky. Wax is easy; literally wax on wax off
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

washing techniques and materials

Take a look at Autogeek or auto obsessed websites. They have lots of good info and a variety of products. Simply things to do is not to wash and wipe in circles as it promotes swirls; clean properly before applying any sealant or coating; consider clay bar occasionally depends on how dirty you let your car get. There's so much but read instructions on car care product sites and you'll figure it out.
Stay out of car washes and throw away that dish soap!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Check with a local tire shop. Mine used to, not sure if they still do, offer you tire insurance on new cars. So instead of paying $2K for BMW rim and tire insurance, they did like $100 ins for just tires.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #10
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Check with a local tire shop. Mine used to, not sure if they still do, offer you tire insurance on new cars. So instead of paying $2K for BMW rim and tire insurance, they did like $100 ins for just tires.
I'm definitely checking that out. There are several construction sites on my street right now so nails could be a problem but I plan on parking on the street under some trees.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #11
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the tips! I've watched a lot of videos on proper ways to wash and will start doing that unless I can figure out if the Neighbourhood kid still does his detailing business. He works on maseratis and other low sports cars.
Appreciate 0