BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

04-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Austin - Clear Bra (or equivalent) and great detailer?

Looking for any recommendations on someone to clear bra my new M3 (dealer has someone, but I do not know who it is).

Also, would like a recommendation for a detailer that can do the kind of clay/wax/etc. that I should know about, but I am not that informed about (I have been reading the posts here though).

Any advise for a some good local talent in Austin would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I've seen Suntint's clear bra work and it's good, better than the place I used, which I won't name. Sun Tint is also less expensive, and I believe they are using Venture Shield. They also install clear window tint, really effective stuff for Texas I've been told.
The detailer I used just moved out of town, if you find someone you can recommend please post it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
murphym3
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

shady

I don’t think sun tint uses venture and if they are it is because a certain company used it first. Don’t get me wrong I am sure they do a good tint job…there name says it all …Sun Tint. They know nothing about a vehicles body. They are posting all over the Internet things about a certain company to put them out of business and they will do anything to get them out. The company they are trying to put out of business uses venture and he was the first here in Austin with the clear auto bra. From my experience with some tint shops is that they are a little shady. Just be careful and do your homework before you commit. The company they are talking about does great work and is an expert when it comes to a vehicles body.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphym3 View Post
I don’t think sun tint uses venture and if they are it is because a certain company used it first. Don’t get me wrong I am sure they do a good tint job…there name says it all …Sun Tint. They know nothing about a vehicles body. They are posting all over the Internet things about a certain company to put them out of business and they will do anything to get them out. The company they are trying to put out of business uses venture and he was the first here in Austin with the clear auto bra. From my experience with some tint shops is that they are a little shady. Just be careful and do your homework before you commit. The company they are talking about does great work and is an expert when it comes to a vehicles body.
Do you mind PM'ing me with the shop you think might do a good job (referred to above)?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphym3 View Post
Same here, let me know who your recommending, I want to get my M3 done first thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Same here, let me know who your recommending, I want to get my M3 done first thing.
FYI -Another poster on an M5 board (who has about a half dozen incredible cars) recommended Sun Tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Lordcyric
Rep
Drives: Steel Grey E46 M3 'vert 6MT

I've heard mixed reviews about Sun Tint. most seem to be good experiences but one friend of mine had his lotus done there and said the job was so terrible he had to have it redone at a different shop.

I also received a quote from a guy in San Antonio who will come to Austin but uses precut pieces ( not custom ) and he quoted only $695 for the bumper and hood and front side panels. He uses 3m for lighter colors and Venture for darker. Haven't been able to find any good info on him though.

I'll keep researching and will repost if/when I do find some solid referrals.

-Keith
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Flumazenil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MW M3

Just had install by a guy in San antonio. Not such a good job.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I had a mixed experience with Sun Tint. The owner convinced me to go with a 3M product because of the integrated clear coat that makes it more resilient to harsher chemicals/washing to get tire marks from the track off. He demonstrated the difference between the 3M based product and the Venture shield option (derivative, they can't actually sell venture-shield branded stuff). This was for a front clip, side panels, mirrors, a pillars, rear fenders. $1500 with tint.

Then the underlings installed ventureshield instead. I made them rip it off and put the 3M stuff on. Overall the job was OK. The nostrils on the hood look bad, and there are bubbles on the edges around difficult geometry. Lots of stretch marks mar the overall appearance of the car.

I wouldn't go back, but then I don't know of a better installer in Austin.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Any update on this?
Sunbusters did a good job doing tint on my M5 years back so I'll probably take the new car there for tint as well... I see they install Ventureshield as well so I was thinking of getting the front bumper done.

It bothers me that Sun Tint's website is F'ing worthless for finding out exactly what products they use.

The question left in my mind is... should drive 1200 miles home without putting on this stuff?
      08-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Any updates? I used Sunbusters for my M3, it was okay, but I've seen much better. Have another car that needs protection.
      08-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

I did end up using Sunbuters last year and was pretty happy. If you have time to meet up for lunch next week I can show you, but if you've had them do work recently that won't do you much good.
      10-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Sunbusters myself, as well. They tint the windshield if you ask them, but they don't advertise it. Had mine done. Sent a friend over in his S4 last week, and he was quite pleased.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

I used Sunbusters for tint and was very satisfied.

For detailing, I used Proreflection (www.proreflection.com) ditto - he has some sick cars shown in his gallery, and the M looked fantastic when he was done.

He came to my house, and was there at least five hours - thorough, good communication, I would definitely use him again.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0