BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to turn audio off?

04-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Dragster RR
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

How to turn audio off?

Experts,

2017 U.S. M2 with HK stereo (I don't know what iDrive version I have).

Total noobie question here...When I'm done driving, and push the 'off' button to turn off the engine, the audio keeps playing. This is the case in my other cars.

However in my other cars, once you open a door (driver door), the audio turns off.

On my M2, when I open the driver door, the audio keeps playing, and even after I shut the door. Fine I though; it must be on some sot of timer delay. So I went in the house. Came back over a minute later and audio was still playing!

Only way I could figure out how to turn it off is to lock the car, which I'd rather not do in the garage.

It this normal behavior? Can it be changed via iDrive setting? If so, how?

Thanks,
Don
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragster RR View Post
Experts,

Total noobie question here...When I'm done driving, and push the 'off' button to turn off the engine, the audio keeps playing. This is the case in my other cars.

However in my other cars, once you open a door (driver door), the audio turns off.

On my M2, when I open the driver door, the audio keeps playing, and even after I shut the door. Fine I though; it must be on some sot of timer delay. So I went in the house. Came back over a minute later and audio was still playing!

Only way I could figure out how to turn it off is to lock the car, which I'd rather not do in the garage.

Thanks,
Don
This is normal. You have to press the start/stop button twice. So just make a habit of double clicking it. Either that or get coding so the radio shuts off when you shut the engine off and open your door. That's what i did.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Take your foot off the clutch and press the stop button.

Or code it to turn off when the door opens. This what I did.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
Dragster RR
Rep

Thank you both!

Thanks. Seems odd and non-intuitive. Is this the way it is with other modern BMWs (M2 is first BMW).

I'll look into coding, but it's not something I've ever had to do to a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Thanks. Seems odd and non-intuitive. Is this the way it is with other modern BMWs (M2 is first BMW).

I'll look into coding, but it's not something I've ever had to do to a car.
Yes pretty much all of them. If you're a first timer to coding, check the BimmerCode app page, very nice and easy to use app - good for beginners as it keeps the dangerous stuff unavailable to modify.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Experts,

Thanks,
Don
I would lock it and store the key far enough away to make sure the car goes to sleep in a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
voinea
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 (MG) 6MT

Coding with BimmerCode solve this for me too. I didn't know about the "double click" on the button .
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Dragster RR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voinea View Post
Coding with BimmerCode solve this for me too. I didn't know about the "double click" on the button .
I just downloaded the BimmerCode app for iOS. No price was listed. Is it really a free app???

I guess I need to order the Vgate iCar 2 Wi-Fi OBD adapter now to get started.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
I just downloaded the BimmerCode app for iOS. No price was listed. Is it really a free app???

I guess I need to order the Vgate iCar 2 Wi-Fi OBD adapter now to get started.
There is an in-app purchase to unlock actual coding. Without the the purchase you are stuck in demo mode.

Double-clicking the start/stop button quickly becomes second nature.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Get in the habit of locking the car in your garage. It's safer (it's ridiculously easy to break into a garage), and it also helps prolong battery life in the car - locking tells the car to shut off everything ASAP, while leaving it unlocked will allow various bits to keep drawing power for a while. The car assumes if you're not locking it that you might be getting back in / starting it again right away, so it leaves a bunch of systems active & drawing power for some indeterminate period of time.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
mjsaville100.00
      04-22-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
Dragster RR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Get in the habit of locking the car in your garage. It's safer (it's ridiculously easy to break into a garage), and it also helps prolong battery life in the car - locking tells the car to shut off everything ASAP, while leaving it unlocked will allow various bits to keep drawing power for a while. The car assumes if you're not locking it that you might be getting back in / starting it again right away, so it leaves a bunch of systems active & drawing power for some indeterminate period of time.
Thanks for the advice!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Excellent advice, I've already coded the seat belt warnings today with Bimmercode so I guess I will need to do audio off on door open sometime this week too.

MJ
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

It will stop playing after a few minutes anyway.
Appreciate 0